Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What needs to be done to fix the defense?

Chandemonium

A big wide nasty tackle, a top tier pass rusher at DL and a linebacker or two.  The secondary should have some continuity for the next couple years with most under contract.

TtownBillsFan
7 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

A big wide nasty tackle, a top tier pass rusher at DL and a linebacker or two.  The secondary should have some continuity for the next couple years with most under contract.

You say a top-tier pass rusher at DL, but we've drafted that (the pass-rusher).  We haven't drafted a big-fat-nasty, but we haven't been in the top-three -5 in the draft in the last couple years.  I'd say give Ed Oliver another year to really find his UMPH.  Especially if we can find another DT that's a space-eater (is that a 3-tech?)

11 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I miss Jordan Phillips.

Recovered 1 fumble and forced another last night against Dallas.
Although the FF was more on Zeke.
Old No. 97 just seems to be around big plays.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

But the internet pundits said he's terrible! We don't miss him at all! 🙄

Honestly, I don't think you'll see a defense fix this year. They can see the glaring holes, they don't have any real way of filling them which means opposing offenses are dictating which defense we run. Reid clearly saw that trend, knew we'd be playing really soft to prevent Mahommes from throwing all over the field and also knew we can't stop the run. When's the last time Reid called 45 run plays in a game? This trend will continue. Teams know we will have to attempt to scheme to stop what they're good at which leaves us exposed on the other end. 

In terms of personnel moves well, I think it's time to admit that the Edmunds experiment hasn't worked out. I would play Dodson in the middle of the field and start moving Edmunds around in different packages. He's in his third season and the mental side of the game just hasn't developed for him. Putting him in position to blitz, rush off the edge, pick up backs out of the backfield would really play to his athleticism and give him less to think about. Let him fly around and make plays because frankly, no one else on the edge is making plays. Addison has had a couple coverage sacks. Hughes is a total non factor.

They will absolutely have to spend a high pick on a corner this year. Good free agent corners are expensive and this type of scheme relies heavily on good corner play. Tre hasn't played great this year but the play opposite of him has been atrocious.

Can they totally rebuild the defensive line in a single offseason? I think a Mario Williams-esque signing at the defensive end position will be in order to even begin to take this scheme seriously again. The front 4 have to be the driving force and they are currently in shambles and get blown off the ball every game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

I was concerned that he would be the type to fall off after getting the big free agent contract, but it doesn’t appear that way with him. He’s balling for the 2nd ranked defense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TtownBillsFan said:

You say a top-tier pass rusher at DL, but we've drafted that (the pass-rusher).  We haven't drafted a big-fat-nasty, but we haven't been in the top-three -5 in the draft in the last couple years.  I'd say give Ed Oliver another year to really find his UMPH.  Especially if we can find another DT that's a space-eater (is that a 3-tech?)

I don't know if AJ projects to be a top flight pass rusher.  Seems like he had a good all around game in college.  We'll have to see how he develops. 

8 minutes ago, Ninety-4 said:

I don't know if AJ projects to be a top flight pass rusher.  Seems like he had a good all around game in college.  We'll have to see how he develops. 

Even if he can be an edge setter this year (like Shaq was) its got to help.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Luka said:

But the internet pundits said he's terrible! We don't miss him at all! 🙄

<snip>

I don't know how the pundits could predict our DL production before a down was played (which is why I avoid those threads).
Continuity is a good thing when you've developed something that works. But free agency in football changed a lot of that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I don't know how the pundits could predict our DL production before a down was played (which is why I avoid those threads).
Continuity is a good thing when you've developed something that works. But free agency in football changed a lot of that.

I'm not sure what the reasoning was for letting those guys walk but seems like a real bone headed move now if they had a chance to resign them and passed. You can still have continuity with free agency, the front office just has to be willing to pony up the cash. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

way Hyde and Poyer seemed to have have aged 5 years in one offseason, may not be a good thing they are locked up. And Tre looks disinterested to me, something is just off with him.

1 hour ago, Luka said:

I'm not sure what the reasoning was for letting those guys walk but seems like a real bone headed move now if they had a chance to resign them and passed. You can still have continuity with free agency, the front office just has to be willing to pony up the cash. 

Thinking was Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, White all needed to be paid...and they were prioritized over those guys. When you get good, you will lose good players. Just the way it works

44 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

way Hyde and Poyer seemed to have have aged 5 years in one offseason, may not be a good thing they are locked up. And Tre looks disinterested to me, something is just off with him.

I think Poyer has still been playing well. As to White, I stated similarly last night.

• Like 1