Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What needs to be done to fix the defense?

Chandemonium

Remember a few years ago when we got blown out 2-3 games in a row, and then the defense suddenly started playing lights out?

IIRC we had another stint last year or the year before where the defense looked like garbage for a couple of games before getting it back together. I expect they'll figure it out.

Add to that, giving up 26 to KC isn't horrible, and TN is 5-0 after hanging 42 on the Texans, so it's not like we got worked by a bunch of scrubs.

It's disheartening watching the soft D-line and multiple missed tackles, but I'd say odds are good we get it together down the stretch.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

Dolphinflavoredtuna

Ok...

Remember when Star decided to sit out and everyone cheered????  People just don’t understand how good he was at gap control.  Plugging was his strength and allowed the other lineman to single in on their assignments.  But alas...  Here we are.

Heavy-handed opinions ahead:

The Defense needs to gel, first and foremost.  There’s a lot of new parts.  There was an established set of starters last year that for the most part, already knew each other.  Gap control and edge setting have to be the focus.  The next two weeks will definitely be focused on “staying home” for this group. Our secondary was actually doing very well against Mahomes, despite what his stats say.  Our LBs are a profound weakness right now.  Coverage and spying are missing.  They’re not tracking the RBs movement.  It’s as if as soon as the ball’s snapped, they’re focused on pursuit, not reading.  All the flack on Oliver, but watch the tape...  He played his role very well, as did Hughes.  Nobody else did though, which makes the group look worse.  I’m WAY more worried about Edmunds than Oliver.  Edmunds needs to move outside.  I’ve never been more sure if it.  Kick him outside and let him play to his strength...  His speed and range.  

So yea...   We need a few more games to gel, both of our other D-line pieces (DT & DE) to hold up and lastly we need to “adjust” our Lbers.  I expect them to kick tires and shake things up.  McD is not happy.  I think Bills will be active the next 2 weeks.   Just a hunch.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Dolphinflavoredtuna said:

Ok...

Remember when Star decided to sit out and everyone cheered????  People just don’t understand how good he was at gap control.  Plugging was his strength and allowed the other lineman to single in on their assignments.  But alas...  Here we are.

Heavy-handed opinions ahead:

The Defense needs to gel, first and foremost.  There’s a lot of new parts.  There was an established set of starters last year that for the most part, already knew each other.  Gap control and edge setting have to be the focus.  The next two weeks will definitely be focused on “staying home” for this group. Our secondary was actually doing very well against Mahomes, despite what his stats say.  Our LBs are a profound weakness right now.  Coverage and spying are missing.  They’re not tracking the RBs movement.  It’s as if as soon as the ball’s snapped, they’re focused on pursuit, not reading.  All the flack on Oliver, but watch the tape...  He played his role very well, as did Hughes.  Nobody else did though, which makes the group look worse.  I’m WAY more worried about Edmunds than Oliver.  Edmunds needs to move outside.  I’ve never been more sure if it.  Kick him outside and let him play to his strength...  His speed and range.  

So yea...   We need a few more games to gel, both of our other D-line pieces (DT & DE) to hold up and lastly we need to “adjust” our Lbers.  I expect them to kick tires and shake things up.  McD is not happy.  I think Bills will be active the next 2 weeks.   Just a hunch.

I'll admit to a mea culpa about Star's role in this defense, and started coming around to that in the latter part of the '19 season.  The run D took an immediate nose dive after they traded Marcel, and didn't return to being half way decent until they signed Star, and even then it depended on his effort in the game.

In any event, my biggest criticism was that Star was overpaid for his role, as Beane should have been looking for a $5 million 1-gap plug instead of $10 million.  For the $10 million cap hit, Dareus gave you much more.  I don't know how much effort they made to get him onboard with the process, but it's clear that his talent was missed.

I'm not sure how to rank Beane's actions with regard to the DL, as the draft has been mixed, FA is uneven, but he's hit gold with waiver pickups.  I think he blew this offseason because they clearly thought that Butler would be the Star replacement for the long term, and that hasn't worked out just yet.  I'm not that concerned about losing Jordan Phillips, because Jefferson is a decent replacement, but for the life of me I do not understand the infatuation with Murphy.  Don't get me started on his supposed great finish last season, nearly every sack was the QB running into him by mistake or it was caused by great DB play.  If Star is overpaid at $10 million, Murphy at $10 million is grand larceny, especially when Campbell, Njokue an Clowney were all available, and Bills need to look beyond this season at DE.  

Let's remember McDermott tried to send a message to Harry last offseason too.  He picked up his game, but then got hurt.   

• Like 2

I think Edmunds could eventually be a monster if he’s moved outside.  He’s big enough to handle the run, he’s long and fast enough to cover tight ends.  He’s built like a small DE with speed to rush the passer. But I think that might be a next season fix.

Right now the defense needs one wide body people eater at D tackle.  If Milano comes back and stays healthy, then Edmunds can stay in the middle and his game will improve because it will be easier for him to identify gaps if one tackle is occupying two blockers.  And Oliver’s game will improve with a bigger guy next to him.  If Milano stays injured, they need a good MLB so they can bounce Edmunds outside.  

• Like 1

Hughes is old. 

Oliver is underwhelming. 

After Oliver it’s just guys. 

The left side of the line — I don’t know what’s going on there. Are we doing the edge rusher on the right and edge setter on the left to defend the run? Kinda looks that way based on personnel but Murphy (who did get benched) was setting the edge on the left not very well. 

We’re just soft up the middle which bodes poorly in close games. With our line we need them to be playing ahead. 

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

Timmy Jernigan got cut by Broncos.  Don't know the full story, but he didn't look lik he was playing on skates in the 10 snaps I just watched in All-22.

Well there's the endorsement we've been looking for!

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2020 at 8:40 AM, snafu said:

I think Edmunds could eventually be a monster if he’s moved outside.  He’s big enough to handle the run, he’s long and fast enough to cover tight ends.  He’s built like a small DE with speed to rush the passer. But I think that might be a next season fix.

Right now the defense needs one wide body people eater at D tackle.  If Milano comes back and stays healthy, then Edmunds can stay in the middle and his game will improve because it will be easier for him to identify gaps if one tackle is occupying two blockers.  And Oliver’s game will improve with a bigger guy next to him.  If Milano stays injured, they need a good MLB so they can bounce Edmunds outside.  

I'd like to have the more football knowledgeable posters correct my eyesight, but the more I watch Edmunds on All-22, the more I see the biggest problem with this defense.  Him picking the wrong gap is only a part of the problem.  Even when he's in the right spot, his hesitation results in many more yards allowed.  It's almost like he actively looks to engage a blocker instead of heading for the ball carrier.  Add the tackling softness (could be injury related) and he is killing the team at MLB.   Time to make the obvious move, especially with Milano out.  Wonder if you can kick Klein more to the inside?

2 minutes ago, GG1 said:

I'd like to have the more football knowledgeable posters correct my eyesight, but the more I watch Edmunds on All-22, the more I see the biggest problem with this defense.  Him picking the wrong gap is only a part of the problem.  Even when he's in the right spot, his hesitation results in many more yards allowed.  It's almost like he actively looks to engage a blocker instead of heading for the ball carrier.  Add the tackling softness (could be injury related) and he is killing the team at MLB.   Time to make the obvious move, especially with Milano out.  Wonder if you can kick Klein more to the inside?

I noticed this also.

In the Tenn. game he blitzed up the middle with only a running back trying to pick him up (not D. Henry)

He hesitated instead of plowing through him and (of course) Tannehill completed a long pass.

He needs to be moved to the outside with his speed.

Because of his youth, I certainly would not give up on him. He can still be a very good player.

• 1 month later...

1.   A quality one technique who can play 2 downs and a serviceable backup.  I don't know if Phillips can get back from his injury but I'm bringing in competition for his spot.

2.  A proven edge rusher.  I think Epenesa's skillset is similar to Lawson, though he's a better pass rusher.  That being said, he doesn't appear to be a guy you're ever going to have to scheme for.  I think this defense would look a lot different if we had someone OCs have to seriously gameplan for.  Unfortunately, those guys don't grow on trees.

3.  A real middle linebacker.  The Edmunds' experiment needs to be over.  I think even the BILLS are starting to lean this direction because he's not lining up in the middle anywhere near as much as he has in the past.  The dude just gets caught up in the wash far too much.  Klein has played or shaded more towards the middle over the past few games and the results are noticeable.

4.  Another top shelf CB, most likely from the draft.  I like Levi Wallace but he has negligible ball skills.  I love when guys are in the right spot all the time but damn brother, make a play on the ball!

5.  Another Milano type guy through the draft or college free agency. 

• Like 1