Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Informal non-scientific Covid vaccine poll

GG1

Non scientific observational Covid vaccine poll  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How many people do you know who got the Covid vaccine?

• < 10
    • < 50
    • < 100
    • > 100
  2. 2. Of those people, how many had side effects from the Covid vaccine?

• 0-20%
    • 20%-40%
    • 40% - 60%
    • > 60%
  3. 3. Of the people who had side effects from the Covid vaccine, how many were serious enough to require medical treatment or worse?

• 0%
    • 10% - 30%
    • 30% - 50%
    • > 50%

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Meazza said:

I got vaccinated at a local hospital and when I sat down to get the shot, she showed me a paper listening the known side effects and the probabilities.  As I tried to get up to run, two men in black suits held me down as she administered the jab.  

True story. 

For the first shot.  For the second, they just magnetized the chair, and thanks to the first shot I couldn't move.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

For the first shot.  For the second, they just magnetized the chair, and thanks to the first shot I couldn't move.  

Arm rests or the seat?

• 9 months later...

Not specifically Covid but vaccine related.
In 2020 I got my 2 Pfizer and 2 Shingles vaccine. No major adverse reaction to either.

A couple weeks ago I went into the doctor for a physical since I hadn't had one since pre-covid. All went well and before leaving he tells me "since you're over 65 you're due for the Pneumonia vaccine (a 2nd shot next year) Basically a sore arm and minor downtime," Since I survived 2020 (no boosters) I thought ok I can do this.
Within  3 hours I felt miserable - then no appetite for a week, fever for 2 weeks etc etc.
Finally the last 3 days I have no fever and feel somewhat normal. Took the home Covid test yesterday and was negative.
Just my experience and 2 cents but I am now once bitten and twice shy.

• Like 3

Nouseforaname
16 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

In 2020 I got my 2 Pfizer and 2 Shingles vaccine. No major adverse reaction to either.

A couple weeks ago I went into the doctor for a physical since I hadn't had one since pre-covid. All went well and before leaving he tells me "since you're over 65 you're due for the Pneumonia vaccine (a 2nd shot next year) Basically a sore arm and minor downtime," Since I survived 2020 (no boosters) I thought ok I can do this.
Within  3 hours I felt miserable - then no appetite for a week, fever for 2 weeks etc etc.
Finally the last 3 days I have no fever and feel somewhat normal. Took the home Covid test yesterday and was negative.

I wasn’t ever aware that there was a pneumonia vaccine.

Glad everything else is good.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
43 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Means your immune system reacted to the vaccine...which is good, since vaccinations are supposed to trigger an immune response.

Flu and tetanus vaccinations always knock me on my ass for a couple of days.  I always enjoy arguing with the nurses administering the vaccinations.  "This shot always makes me sick."  "No it doesn't!  Vaccines don't make you sick, they keep you healthy!"  "Do they trigger an immune response?  Does that immune response include fever, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of appetite?  Then they make me sick, because they're supposed to."

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

CarpetCrawler
1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

You're one of the unlucky "less than 1%". I've had both and never felt a thing. Working in a hospital, they start giving it out at 55 and I can't recall anyone ever talking about side effects, but I got them at 55, so that might make a difference. 

Side note, the one thing that strikes me most about it is I definitely have far fewer "common colds" since getting these vaccines. Could be coincidence, but it strikes me as related.

There are two vaccines for pneumonia that protect against different types of the infection.

• PCV13 helps protect people from 13 of the most severe types of bacteria that cause pneumonia.
  • PPSV23 protects against an additional 23 types of pneumonia bacteria. Neither can prevent every type of pneumonia, but they work against more than 30 common, severe types.

People who need a pneumonia vaccine should get both shots: first, the PCV13 shot and then the PPSV23 shot a year or more later.

For most people, one of each shot should be enough to protect them for their entire lives. Sometimes, you may need a booster shot. Ask your doctor whether you should get one.

What Are the Risks?

You cannot get pneumonia from the vaccine. The shots only contain an extract of the pneumonia bacteria, not the actual bacteria that cause the illness.

But some people have mild side effects from the vaccine, including:

• Swelling, soreness, or redness where you got the shot
  • Mild fever
  • Fussiness or irritability
  • Loss of appetite
  • Sore muscles

Fewer than 1% of people who get the pneumonia vaccine have these types of side effects. Allergic reactions are even rarer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Nouseforaname said:

I wasn’t ever aware that there was a pneumonia vaccine.

I said the same thing at my ophthalmologists last week (when they asked if I had gotten one).

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

Thanks. I did some reading while I was somewhat delusional.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/public/index.html

Thank you for the link.

• Like 1

Had  both COVID shots last April,  caught COVID in September, Got a flu shot in December,  and pneumonia shot in May. No reactions except sore arm for a day. Had a pneumonia  shot back in 2014 when I was in the hospital with a stroke. Plan on getting the shingles shot this fall.No have Medicare, so it will be paid for.

Edited by Wacka

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Means your immune system reacted to the vaccine...which is good, since vaccinations are supposed to trigger an immune response.

Flu and tetanus vaccinations always knock me on my ass for a couple of days.  I always enjoy arguing with the nurses administering the vaccinations.  "This shot always makes me sick."  "No it doesn't!  Vaccines don't make you sick, they keep you healthy!"  "Do they trigger an immune response?  Does that immune response include fever, muscle aches, fatigue, loss of appetite?  Then they make me sick, because they're supposed to."

1 hour ago, CarpetCrawler said:

You're one of the unlucky "less than 1%". I've had both and never felt a thing. Working in a hospital, they start giving it out at 55 and I can't recall anyone ever talking about side effects, but I got them at 55, so that might make a difference. 

Side note, the one thing that strikes me most about it is I definitely have far fewer "common colds" since getting these vaccines. Could be coincidence, but it strikes me as related.

Thanks for the feedback and affirmation. After one day I checked all the side affects onlne. I had them all and then some.
After 6 days I called the doctors office and talked with the the PA that administered the shot. Got the "oh there's lots of stuff going around" explanation. Got me thinking maybe my body went off to fight this vaccine and Covid snuck in the back door. With your explanations I go back to "it hit me like a ton of bricks in 3 hours."
I guess I can say I'm part of the 1% now 😁 
Just not the lucky 1% 💰 :wallbash:

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Got me thinking maybe my body went off to fight this vaccine and Covid snuck in the back door.

Uhh...I thought that was how monkeypox was commonly transmitted?

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Joe Miner said:

Uhh...I thought that was how monkeypox was commonly transmitted?

After all thee years the mystery of Jim Morrison's death has now been revealed.

CarpetCrawler
27 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Thanks for the feedback and affirmation. After one day I checked all the side affects onlne. I had them all and then some.
After 6 days I called the doctors office and talked with the the PA that administered the shot. Got the "oh there's lots of stuff going around" explanation. Got me thinking maybe my body went off to fight this vaccine and Covid snuck in the back door. With your explanations I go back to "it hit me like a ton of bricks in 3 hours."
I guess I can say I'm part of the 1% now 😁 
Just not the lucky 1% 💰 :wallbash:

Could very well be, 2 weeks after I got the COVID booster I came down with Covid followed closely by the flu (had the flu vax 2 months before too).

And 2 or 3 times over 30 years of getting them, I've definitely had flu-like symptoms for a couple of days after getting the flu shot.....even though that is hypothetically impossible.  I was given the same lame excuse of "other things going around." BS

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
9 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

Could very well be, 2 weeks after I got the COVID booster I came down with Covid followed closely by the flu (had the flu vax 2 months before too).

And 2 or 3 times over 30 years of getting them, I've definitely had flu-like symptoms for a couple of days after getting the flu shot.....even though that is hypothetically impossible.  I was given the same lame excuse of "other things going around." BS

It'd not hypothetically impossible.  A flu vaccine doesn't convey full immunity for something like two weeks - you can get the flu immediately after getting the vaccine.

But in your case, it sounds more like you had an immune response to the shot, like I get.  Which isn't just not hypothetically impossible, but is what you want to happen.

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It'd not hypothetically impossible.  A flu vaccine doesn't convey full immunity for something like two weeks - you can get the flu immediately after getting the vaccine.

But in your case, it sounds more like you had an immune response to the shot, like I get.  Which isn't just not hypothetically impossible, but is what you want to happen.

Last time I got a flu shot it knocked me out for a day and a half

When I took my coerced COVID shots last year, my shoulder and leg muscles were achy and I was perpetually cold for a few hours.  The cold part is what bothers me.  I'm one of those people who prefers the cold, so turning up the furnace and having to wrap up in a blanket was disconcerting

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, devnull said:

Last time I got a flu shot it knocked me out for a day and a half

When I took my coerced COVID shots last year, my shoulder and leg muscles were achy and I was perpetually cold for a few hours.  The cold part is what bothers me.  I'm one of those people who prefers the cold, so turning up the furnace and having to wrap up in a blanket was disconcerting

Last flu shot did nothing for me.  COVID shots, likewise, I didn't get a damn thing.

Last tetanus shot (I get them regularly, because "woodworking")...fever, fatigue, and muscle aches within 18 hours, clear up within 48.  I always get my tetanus shots on a Friday afternoon, always sick by late Saturday morning, always fine by Sunday evening.  Like clockwork.