Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts about the Steelers Game, in no particular order

Virgil

A disappointing loss. A disappointing showing in nearly all phases of the game. The Steelers are a tough team. They tackle tough and differently than The Bills do. They lift their opponent off the ground and then slam them into the turf. 

McDermott better get this team to play tougher, or it’s going to be a disappointing season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - Refs - Each official has a specific assignment on the field.  The head ref watches the quarterback, the line judge watches the line of scrimmage.  On deep plays, the deep side judge watches the receivers and plays downfield.  On the pass interference call, please help me understand why the female ref threw the flag from 20 yards behind the play when there was another ref right next to the play and didn't throw a flag?  In watching the replay on the big screen, I did not see pass interference, so I definitely don't know how she saw it from where she was standing.  That was a game changing play (so was the blocked punt), and McD was furious about it.  Even after the Steelers scored a touchdown, McD was in her ear about it until the white hat came over.  The officiating wasn't terrible overall, but it did feel like some of those holds were one sided.  I also argue the hold against Tre.  While contact was made, it felt like hand fighting and didn't affect the play.  Ben through a bad pass and Tre broke on it.  Another call that hurt us badly.

I'll have to watch it again, but I believe she also blew two blatant offsides on the Steelers DL.

• Like 1

This is a NAILED review. I feel exactly the same way about everything you mentioned, @Virgil

(Nice "Black" reference for #4. I love that you sneak in all my favorite bands in the game write-ups.)

I mentioned Sugar-High Josh in the chatboard just a few minutes ago before reading this.....he was definitely off. And the Steelers D played their guts out. 

Dumb penalties, dumb mistakes. Week 1, can't over-react yet. If they lose to Miami, cliff-diving time!

Edited by Seasons1992
  • Like 1

I love reading your perspective, @Virgil. The points I most agreed with were about coaching...

led me to believe that we ran a very stubborn game plan

I agree with this. Daboll :palmface:He needs to stop the "cute" plays, especially in 4th down situations.  And I agree, we need 2020 McDermott back. What we saw yesterday cannot continue or this season will be a bust.

I don't think Dion Dawkins is back to 100% after his covid illness.

• Like 4

I may just be trying to make myself feel better, but I'm of the mindset that if Mosely didn't go down in last year's home opener, the Bills lose that game to a shitty team. As the year progressed, so did Josh's confidence, and consequently the confidence of the receivers. 

Head-scratching plays notwithstanding, the ridiculous 4th and 1 mistake, the drop by Emmanual, the fake hold on Tre and the blocked punt/TD were the four biggest contributors to the loss. The Steelers Dline destroyed the Bills Oline all game, rarely blitzing, and if can't fix this, it'll be a very long season.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I may just be trying to make myself feel better, but I'm of the mindset that if Mosely didn't go down in last year's home opener, the Bills lose that game to a shitty team. As the year progressed, so did Josh's confidence, and consequently the confidence of the receivers. 

Head-scratching plays notwithstanding, the ridiculous 4th and 1 mistake, the drop by Emmanual, the fake hold on Tre and the blocked punt/TD were the four biggest contributors to the loss. The Steelers Dline destroyed the Bills Oline all game, rarely blitzing, and if can't fix this, it'll be a very long season.

Bills dared Steelers to rush with the consistent 5 wide grouping

no chipping allowed of the DEs

so much for play action - Josh's forte

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

...and Josh missing a wide open TD to Sanders.   But yet, despite all that cluster&#%$, we still only lost by 7 to a perpetual playoff team.  Very few teams can match what the Steelers' DL can bring, so I'm still confident the Bills can get on track quickly.   Maybe a punch in the mouth is just what they needed after a whole offseason of reading about how great they were going to be.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

...and Josh missing a wide open TD to Sanders.   But yet, despite all that cluster&#%$, we still only lost by 7 to a perpetual playoff team.  Very few teams can match what the Steelers' DL can bring, so I'm still confident the Bills can get on track quickly.   Maybe a punch in the mouth is just what they needed after a whole offseason of reading about how great they were going to be.

maybe Dabol needs a literal face punching to get the point across

On 9/13/2021 at 12:25 AM, Virgil said:

7 - Refs - Each official has a specific assignment on the field.  The head ref watches the quarterback, the line judge watches the line of scrimmage.  On deep plays, the deep side judge watches the receivers and plays downfield.  On the pass interference call, please help me understand why the female ref threw the flag from 20 yards behind the play when there was another ref right next to the play and didn't throw a flag?  In watching the replay on the big screen, I did not see pass interference, so I definitely don't know how she saw it from where she was standing.  That was a game changing play (so was the blocked punt), and McD was furious about it.  Even after the Steelers scored a touchdown, McD was in her ear about it until the white hat came over.  The officiating wasn't terrible overall, but it did feel like some of those holds were one sided.  I also argue the hold against Tre.  While contact was made, it felt like hand fighting and didn't affect the play.  Ben through a bad pass and Tre broke on it.  Another call that hurt us badly.

I just want some damned consistency from the refs. The Squeelers got away with several egregious holds. On one of their big offensive plays, I saw at least two that were not called.

Either call them all or let the players play. I wish the refs would stop picking and choosing when to enforce the rules. I generally don't subscribe to the theory that the refs are influencing games to benefit gamblers, but damn it's hard not to when the rules are only being enforced in game-changing situations.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'll be honest, I have no idea what that means

The trophy for excellence, kind of like the leg lamp, its a major award :cheers: