Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Harvest Tomorrow

Sherpa

14 minutes ago, Ann said:

Different strokes for different folks. As always, the best wine is the one you enjoy. 

In the past, if I wanted cheapie wine it would be Chilean. 
I have yet to find a Spanish wine I enjoy. I use the Riojas we have for Spanish style Sangria.  
Australian wines really do not do it for me. 

I am ALL for the first paragraph there.

I go to Local Vine, a knock off on Total Wine in many ways. It’s like McDowells in Coming To America. I love the little guys! 

• Haha 1

The owner of Local Vine told me Total Wine (a mile up the road) tried to sue him! 😂 

My wife used to get a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet for special events (birthdays, anniversary, etc). It was the hit of our CA wine trip. We had a small walk-in wine closet so I thought they’d be safe. A story on the nightly news warned me they don’t keep like they used to. I opened one bottle of Silver Oak, and it was nasty. We declared open season on all the other Silver Oak, and the first one was the only one that was not absolutely awesome. 

Edited by Augie
  • Wow 1

On 9/15/2021 at 1:22 PM, Sherpa said:

The fifteenth  year of growing petit verdot, one of the five Bordeaux grapes.

Looks to be a great year, maybe the best ever.

Chemistry of the crop is perfect, owing to a dry summer, rain at just the right time, and cool nights the past two weeks.

We were awarded a silver medal in the Virginia Governor's Cup this year for our 2017.

I think this year is better; on the vine anyway.

For all, enjoy this time of year as the harvest of the United States comes in.

Someone forgot my wine that comes up from Virginia. Now I got to wait till we play the redskins

16 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I sell wine storage/wine cellars for a living, and am loving this topic!

You will send me your best wine you have in your wine cellar right 🤗😎

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mead107 said:

You will send me your best wine you have in your wine cellar right 🤗😎

Divorced single guys don't have wine cellars, they pay rent/alimony/support instead!

I used to have a ton of bottles but those days are over.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, mead107 said:

Someone forgot my wine that comes up from Virginia. Now I got to wait till we play the redskins

Ok, who do you keep complaining forgot your wine without naming names? We want the name. 😉

15 hours ago, Augie said:

The owner of Local Vine told me Total Wine (a mile up the road) tried to sue him! 😂 

My wife used to get a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet for special events (birthdays, anniversary, etc). It was the hit of our CA wine trip. We had a small walk-in wine closet so I thought they’d be safe. A story on the nightly news warned me they don’t keep like they used to. I opened one bottle of Silver Oak, and it was nasty

Reminds me of my first experience saving wine.

As a bachelor who didn't drink much, I had two cases of pretty good California stuff that I had carefully purchased and saved.

I lived there at the time.

Going on cruise as a Naval Aviator, I asked one of my married squadron mates if his wife could take care of them when I was gone.

Sure he said.

She shows up at an in port period in the Philippines, and I asked her how the wine was.

She said, great, and intimated she was storing them in her garage.

For information purposes, the San Joachin Valley south of Fresno gets to over a hundred every day from June through late August.

Sub optimal outcome.

• Wow 1

2 minutes ago, Sherpa said:

She shows up at an in port period in the Philippines, and I asked her how the wine was.

She said, great

I thought you were going to say she drank them all.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
18 hours ago, Sherpa said:

You are well informed, at least in my view.

Chilean wines are not representative of their weather advantage.

The Cabernets are good, but they are generally table wines.

I am very familiar with the Virginia operations you mentioned.

Prince Michel I wouldn't touch.

Barboursville is just up the road from me. Too big an operation to be enjoyable.

I know Fernando Franco, the viticulturist, and Luca Paschina, the guy who runs the place.

Great guy.

When I first considered doing a vineyard, they came down, looked at my property, and promised me they would buy anything I grew, as I was just south of them.

Three years later, when I was ready for my first commercial harvest, they told me they would only buy what they grew.

I had no problem selling my grapes to other wineries.

If you're ever in this area, I can recommend better.

Used to work in a wine shop, years back.  Don't drink much any more, but I still enjoy finding good, lesser-known labels.  

17 hours ago, Ann said:

Different strokes for different folks. As always, the best wine is the one you enjoy. 

In the past, if I wanted cheapie wine it would be Chilean. 
I have yet to find a Spanish wine I enjoy. I use the Riojas we have for Spanish style Sangria.  
Australian wines really do not do it for me. 

Australian whites always tasted like alcoholic Kool-Aid to me.  Haven't had one in years, maybe they've gotten better.  But there's plenty of other wines out there to try.

Never had an Aussie red, come to think of it.  

7 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Used to work in a wine shop, years back.  Don't drink much any more, but I still enjoy finding good, lesser-known labels.  

Australian whites always tasted like alcoholic Kool-Aid to me.  Haven't had one in years, maybe they've gotten better.  But there's plenty of other wines out there to try.

I don't like the Australian reds, and in the industry, they are known for selling to the US market at below cost to gain market share. Not well thought of, but to each his own.

I've found, in the years of this, that blends are the best.

Pure varietals carry the name, but blended reds are usually better.

19 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife used to get a bottle of Silver Oak Cabernet for special events (birthdays, anniversary, etc). It was the hit of our CA wine trip. We had a small walk-in wine closet so I thought they’d be safe. A story on the nightly news warned me they don’t keep like they used to. I opened one bottle of Silver Oak, and it was nasty. We declared open season on all the other Silver Oak, and the first one was the only one that was not absolutely awesome. 

Wow, that is a terrible waste of a good wine. Their 2015 Cab Sauvignon ... Mmmm :wine:

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

We did a few wine tours while in Australia last year. Nope, they have not gotten any better. They were in severe drought at the time and the vines were simply withered (NSW), and they were not allowed to water. 

We've done winery tastings/tours in a lot of different places (because I like wine). I will say that one of the most unique tastings was in Australia and it will never be duplicated. They paired a white with kangaroo meat.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ann said:

We did a few wine tours while in Australia last year. Nope, they have not gotten any better. They were in severe drought at the time and the vines were simply withered (NSW), and they were not allowed to water. 

We've done winery tastings/tours in a lot of different places (because I like wine). I will say that one of the most unique tastings was in Australia and it will never be duplicated. They paired a white with kangaroo meat.

I would have thought beer would be the perfect pairing with kangaroo, because of, you know….the hops. 

I apologize, I couldn’t help myself there.   

I’ve recently had a couple of Burgundy Chardonnays. I didn’t know that could be a thing, but I thought they were quite good.  

Edited by Augie
  • Haha 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
20 hours ago, Augie said:

I would have thought beer would be the perfect pairing with kangaroo, because of, you know….the hops. 

I hope you feel bad.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I hope you feel bad.

While I am aware that would be the appropriate reaction, I gave up shame years ago. It was just SO exhausting!   :classic_smile:

Permit me to timidly report that each and every sip of wine I've ever tasted reminded me of vinegar.  (The sum total of sips over eighty-one years is fewer than ten.)

• Wow 1