Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Daboll has got to go

Guest Tim

14 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

There’s a historical solution to Kevin Gilbride, but I don’t want any Ryan’s back in the building.

Ya see kids, Buddy Ryan once punched Kevin on the sidelines during a game.......you may not be old enough to remember it, but it happened, and on TV.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 hours ago, Guest Tim said:

Each and every week Daboll has no answer to pressure on Allen.. The center of the field is wide open and Daboll continues to drive the square peg in the round hole. You would think that if you want to run the ball you have to throw the ball and if you want to throw the ball you have to run the ball.. Daboll is ALWAYS out of sync. This is not just 1 game it's every game.. Time for a change

Any updates on this?

18 hours ago, Ninety-4 said:

He's got some Kevin Gilbride in him.  Not necessarily the Buffalo version of Kevin but the Kevin from earlier in his career. 

Yeah I’d agree with that. 

It's the same thing all the time...when the offense doesn't execute, the playcalling sucks.  Everyone wanted to run Greg Roman outta town but he was awesome considering what he was working with.  People kept bitching about the run game last year but when the holes were there the backs were missing them.

The OLine has been "not good" so far this season.  Each player has struggled at key moments and it has affected the rhythm of everything.  Josh has happy feet and the addition of Sanders has taken valuable snaps from Gabe Davis, who is a real glue guy when you need a play to keep a drive alive.  Those are difference making things in the NFL game.  Even in blowouts there are only a handful of plays that really determine the outcome..a dropped pass here or mishandled interception there lead to big point swings.

Execution has been the problem.  Daboll has called like 10 shot plays and we've executed zero of them.  ZERO.  The worst part is every one of them was there.

• Like 6

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Ya see kids, Buddy Ryan once punched Kevin on the sidelines during a game.......you may not be old enough to remember it, but it happened, and on TV.

The game was more interesting with coaches like Ryan and Gilbride, or Glanville and Wyche.  

5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

It's the same thing all the time...when the offense doesn't execute, the playcalling sucks.  Everyone wanted to run Greg Roman outta town but he was awesome considering what he was working with.  People kept bitching about the run game last year but when the holes were there the backs were missing them.

The OLine has been "not good" so far this season.  Each player has struggled at key moments and it has affected the rhythm of everything.  Josh has happy feet and the addition of Sanders has taken valuable snaps from Gabe Davis, who is a real glue guy when you need a play to keep a drive alive.  Those are difference making things in the NFL game.  Even in blowouts there are only a handful of plays that really determine the outcome..a dropped pass here or mishandled interception there lead to big point swings.

Execution has been the problem.  Daboll has called like 10 shot plays and we've executed zero of them.  ZERO.  The worst part is every one of them was there.

I can't disagree with anything you've written.

That said . . . if a guy is going to be a QB in a Greg Roman offense, he needs to be a fast runner. The faster the better. Roman benched E.J. Manuel (4.6 in the 40) for Tyrod Taylor (4.4 in the 40). Then upon arriving in Baltimore, he didn't pursue Tyrod. Instead the Ravens used a 1st round pick on Lamar Jackson (4.2 in the 40).

If your offensive coordinator is selecting his QB in large part based on how fast a runner he is, that makes it very unlikely your team will also be getting a top tier passer.

Roman is a master at using a QB's running ability to loosen up the defense and create easy completions for the QB. But even with that, your passing game might often be limited with this style of offense. Sometimes an offense like that will put up a lot of points. Other times it will be held nearly scoreless, as for example happened in the playoff game against Jacksonville; in which the Bills scored a whopping 3 points. A lot depends on how well the other team schemes against you. So, your success on offense is largely under the control of your opponent's defensive coordinator.

But, if you have an elite passing quarterback, and put good coaches and good personnel around him, he'll be very very difficult to stop almost no matter what the opposing defensive coordinator cooks up. That gives you more control over your own destiny.

9 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Other times it will be held nearly scoreless, as for example happened in the playoff game against Jacksonville; in which the Bills scored a whopping 3 points.

The next time Tyrod Taylor throws a receiver open on anything but a 9 route, it'll be the first time in his NFL career.

Care to guess how many receivers from that team are still in the NFL?  Bad QB, bad skill players (except Shady), mediocre OLine...but it was on Roman.  Nah.  Not even.

16 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Davis not playing more is a CRIME.

The dude's got real talent. Is he injured or something?

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Davis not playing more is a CRIME.

The dude's got real talent. Is he injured or something?

He had a nagging injury most of the week. He looked to have burned Howard on the play where Josh tried to get it to Sanders and Byron Jones broke it up. I hope they aren't trying to force the ball to Sanders at the expense of Davis and the rest.

I want to see the All 22 of this to see if Davis had any safety blanket over top. His route looked more vertical than Sanders.

22 minutes ago, LB3 said:

He had a nagging injury most of the week. He looked to have burned Howard on the play where Josh tried to get it to Sanders and Byron Jones broke it up. I hope they aren't trying to force the ball to Sanders at the expense of Davis and the rest.

I want to see the All 22 of this to see if Davis had any safety blanket over top. His route looked more vertical than Sanders.

My friend was at the game and called out this play.  He said Davis was more open, but Allen was locked in on #1

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, GG1 said:

My friend was at the game and called out this play.  He said Davis was more open, but Allen was locked in on #1

Thanks. I know Howard is better than Jones, but I would have trusted the bigger Davis here especially since his route was headed to the back corner.

I've been waiting on Cover1 or YPP to get into Allen's game film. Part of me thinks Josh might be nursing an injury. He just seems so off and I really don't want to believe it's having fans back. I'm hopeful he'll have a good game against the Football Team this week to boost his confidence.

2 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

The next time Tyrod Taylor throws a receiver open on anything but a 9 route, it'll be the first time in his NFL career.

Care to guess how many receivers from that team are still in the NFL?  Bad QB, bad skill players (except Shady), mediocre OLine...but it was on Roman.  Nah.  Not even.

Both Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods are still in the league. But to your point, they both left Buffalo after the 2016 season. Tyrod’s last year in Buffalo was the 2017 season. I agree he did not have good receivers that last year. 

Robert Woods is an example of a receiver who’d improved after leaving Tyrod and Roman behind. In his last two years in Buffalo (catching passes from Tyrod) he had 552 and 613 receiving yards. After leaving Buffalo his numbers were 781, 1219, 1134, 936. 

In all three of Tyrod’s years in Buffalo he was bottom three in passing yards. Lamar Jackson has also put up below-average passing yardage totals during his time in Baltimore.

A Greg Roman offense is going to involve fewer passing plays and more running plays than a normal offense. The problem there is that it’s normal for a QB to average 7 yards or more per pass attempt, whereas a RB might average 4 or 4.5 yards per carry. So you’re removing higher yardage passing plays and replacing them with lower yardage running plays. But, a Roman offense significantly boosts a QB’s average yards per pass attempt, while also benefiting the running game. 

As for whose fault Tyrod Taylor was, I think that comes down to three people. The EJ Manuel bust was the fault of Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley. There was not a good quarterback on the team when Roman’s empire first arose. The Bills were able to sign Tyrod at a bargain price, because Roman looks for different things in a QB (running speed) than a typical offensive coordinator. Given Whaley’s infatuation with Manuel and his mismanagement of the salary cap, it would have been extremely difficult to convince him to use significant resources on adding another quarterback. A bargain basement running QB, and a running QB type offense, is probably the best which could reasonably have been hoped for in that situation. 

But even if Roman didn’t have to deal with bad GMs or QB busts left over from previous coaching staffs, he’d still value a QB’s mobility more than his accuracy. He’d still call a high percentage of running plays. Those tendencies are going to put a ceiling on what his offense can achieve over the long run. Which means a Roman-style offense is unlikely to hoist a Lombardi. 

1 hour ago, LB3 said:

Thanks. I know Howard is better than Jones, but I would have trusted the bigger Davis here especially since his route was headed to the back corner.

I've been waiting on Cover1 or YPP to get into Allen's game film. Part of me thinks Josh might be nursing an injury. He just seems so off and I really don't want to believe it's having fans back. I'm hopeful he'll have a good game against the Football Team this week to boost his confidence.

Stupid NFL hasn't turned on All-22 yet.   Annoying as hell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GG1 said:

Stupid NFL hasn't turned on All-22 yet.   Annoying as hell.

What is their holdup? I see more than a few people commenting about this.