Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts about the Dolphins Game, in no particular order

Virgil

I always look forward to this thread. For the second week in a row I forgot football was on and spent the afternoon going to Home Depot and working in the yard, so it's nice to be able to read up on what I missed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robs House said:

I always look forward to this thread. For the second week in a row I forgot football was on and spent the afternoon going to Home Depot and working in the yard, so it's nice to be able to read up on what I missed.

I have a better chance forgetting my son's birthday than forgetting football is on. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

Everyone has the club in their golf bag.  You know the one I'm talking about (for me, it's the 7 wood).  You are hooking and slicing shots all day and can't quite figure out what's wrong.  Then you pull out that one club, crush it down the middle, and all of your clubs magically start to work again.  For the Bills and McD, that club is the Miami Dolphins.  After a 35-0 beating, one would think that all is right with the world, but confidence still isn't where it was before the season and the offense is the reason why.

7 wood !!

7.jpg

• Haha 1

Well done, once again @Virgil. I like where you started with your #1. I am SUPER excited about Rousseau, but we didn’t really know what to expect with the new guy (to the Bills first, and to some degree to FOOTBALL!). 

But the most pleasant surprise to me is Epenesa. This does NOT look like the same guy who played for us last year, except in a few little flashes. I pray he can keep up this level of play. The defense is averaging 8 points/game allowed. Even our current offense should be able to win with that until we can get back into that groove they have shown in the past. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Great post as always, Virgil! Below are a few of my own thoughts about the game.

1) I love the way the defense has played, especially against the Dolphins. But, to paraphrase Bill Parcells, I'm not going to get the anointing oil out just yet. This year's Bills defense has yet to face a starting-caliber NFL quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger will be wearing a gold jacket when all is said and done, but last season his stats were worse than Trent Edwards or Losman. Sometimes a guy reaches a point where he's just done, and Roethlisberger is there. Also, the offensive lines the Bills have faced these first two weeks aren't exactly what I'd call world beaters. The defense has proven itself against the tests it's faced, but the sternest tests are yet to come.

2) Felix Dennis was an Englishman and an entrepreneur, and was worth close to $1 billion when he died. He wrote a book about how to be financially successful. In it he made the point that if you want to be successful as an entrepreneur, you must treat it as a game. Any other approach, and you will fail. Guaranteed. (At least according to Dennis.) This brings me to the subject of Josh Allen. Allen just signed a contract for big money. Serious money. The value of that contract is probably greater than the GDP of some micro-nations. While I don't claim to have any special insight as to why Allen has been playing badly, one possible explanation is that the monster contract caused him to stop treating it like a game. Hopefully he shakes out of this funk, and becomes the same guy we saw last year.

3) Virgil, I know that you personally are familiar with Bill from NYC. But for those who don't know him, he is a longtime poster on another board. For many many years, if he'd been able to fix one thing wrong with the team, it would have been the offensive line. No question whatever about that. Give him a second thing to be able to improve, and he would have chosen the defensive line. There are times when I wish he'd be made Bills GM for a year or two. I've got nothing against Beane, but I want the offensive line fixed. And I have 100% confidence that Bill would do whatever it took--literally whatever--to make that happen. I'd say that the two main things holding back this year's offense have been Allen's regression and the mediocre play of the OL.

4) Going into the season I'd been disappointed with Beane's track record in the second round. Now that we've seen some of year 2 Epenesa, that disappointed feeling is rapidly starting to vanish.

5) The work Singetary put in during the offseason appears to be paying off. I'm both excited by, and philosophical about, the Rousseau pick. Milano may have taken his game up a notch. If you could put his brain into Edmunds' body, you'd have a gold jacket type player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Robs House said:

Whats funny is I did just the opposite. funny. I did just the opposite. I watched the game and then read the Home Depot flier and looked at the unkept lawn to see what I missed. 

• Haha 2