Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Breakdowns/Shortages

Foxx

A Reuters' article.

Peru imposes curfew to stymie protests over rising fuel costs

LIMA, April 4 (Reuters) - Peruvian President Pedro Castillo imposed a curfew in the capital, Lima, on Tuesday, banning people from leaving their homes in an attempt to curb protests against rising fuel and fertilizer costs that have spread throughout the country. ...

... On Monday, a wave of protests against rising fuel and fertilizer prices, triggered by Russia's invasion of Ukraine, continued into their second week, while the government scrambled to bring prices down. ...

..."This strike isn't happening just here, it's all over Peru," said one protester in Ica, who declined to be identified.

The turmoil erupted last week as farmers and truckers blocked some main highways to Lima, leading to a sudden surge in food prices. ...

An interesting take on what is probably going to be a worldwide egg and poultry shortage coming soon due to this new bird flu everyone is supposed to be afraid of.

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 hours ago, Cinga said:

An interesting take on what is probably going to be a worldwide egg and poultry shortage coming soon due to this new bird flu everyone is supposed to be afraid of.

Years ago, when the Avian Flu was in the news (must have been '02-'03), one of my wife's coworkers heard the was going to be a paper shortage.  I told her "Yep, it's because they're cutting down all the forests in SE Asia.  Real slash-and-burn clear-cutting, to disrupt migratory bird flyways and limit the spread of bird flu."

Was so convincing, the dingbat went to Staples and bought 4 boxes of copy paper.  :classic_laugh:

My wife and I still laugh about it.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Years ago, when the Avian Flu was in the news (must have been '02-'03), one of my wife's coworkers heard the was going to be a paper shortage.  I told her "Yep, it's because they're cutting down all the forests in SE Asia.  Real slash-and-burn clear-cutting, to disrupt migratory bird flyways and limit the spread of bird flu."

Was so convincing, the dingbat went to Staples and bought 4 boxes of copy paper.  :classic_laugh:

My wife and I still laugh about it.

And I'd be willing to bet she now has a garage full of toilet paper from the Covid scarcity! :hysterical:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Cinga said:

And I'd be willing to bet she now has a garage full of toilet paper from the Covid scarcity! :hysterical:

and a pallet or two of N95 masks

7 hours ago, Cinga said:

5 hours ago, devnull said:

and a pallet or two of N95 masks

merlin_170438451_dd144ae2-8cd3-4d76-9196

• Facepalm 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Cinga said:

So the shortages may have been entirely his fault huh? Idiots do perplex me.... 

As I recall, that guy got in to legal trouble for hoarding and price gouging.  

I expect this won't be the last state default in the days ahead.

Bloomberg article:

Sri Lanka Default Looms as Debt Payments Halted to Save Dollars

• Dollar bond due July 2022 extends losses to record low
  • President calls for ‘unity, understanding’ as protests mount

Sri Lanka warned of an unprecedented default and halted payments on foreign debt, an extraordinary step taken to preserve its dwindling dollar stockpile for essential food and fuel imports. 

All outstanding payments to bond holders, bilateral creditors and institutional lenders will be suspended until a debt restructure, the finance ministry said in a statement Tuesday. The newly appointed central bank governor, Nandalal Weerasinghe, said in a briefing that authorities are seeking to negotiate with creditors and warning of a possible default. ...

In drought-stricken West, officials weigh emergency actions

1000.jpeg

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Federal officials say it may be necessary to reduce water deliveries to users on the Colorado River to prevent the shutdown of a huge dam that supplies hydropower to some 5 million customers across the U.S. West.

Officials had hoped snowmelt would buoy Lake Powell on the Arizona-Utah border to ensure its dam could continue to supply power. But snow is already melting, and hotter-than-normal temperatures and prolonged drought are further shrinking the lake.

The Interior Department has proposed holding back water in the lake to maintain Glen Canyon Dam’s ability to generate electricity amid what it said were the driest conditions in the region in more than 1,200 years.

“The best available science indicates that the effects of climate change will continue to adversely impact the basin,” Tanya Trujillo, the Interior’s assistant secretary for water and science wrote to seven states in the basin Friday. ...

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Fansince88 said:

How do we know how dry it was 1200 years ago there? We can guess but we cant know.

Tree rings are a very good indicator.  

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

I have been in that area. Not many trees.

No, but there are enough.  Particularly bristlecone pine, which is both long-lived and drought-tolerant.

• Wow 1

CarpetCrawler
21 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

No, but there are enough.  Particularly bristlecone pine, which is both long-lived and drought-tolerant.

More that 1200 years old ???

Edit: Wow yeah, I see that. 1200 is relatively young for one of those.

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Good thing after the last couple huge droughts we enacted ambitious plans to significantly expand reservoir capacity, enacted permanent common-sense restrictions, built gray water systems and desalinization plants, etc.  :classic_dry:

California "Rain shortage? We thought you said train shortage!"
I guess they're just going to have to bite the bullet.

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
30 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Good thing after the last couple huge droughts we enacted ambitious plans to significantly expand reservoir capacity, enacted permanent common-sense restrictions, built gray water systems and desalinization plants, etc.  :classic_dry:

Time to resurrect the ill-conceived water pipeline from the Great Lakes again.

• Angry 1