Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A Few Thoughts about Washington Game, in no particular order

Virgil

17 minutes ago, Virgil said:
9 - Beeeezzzzz - Quietly having a double digit catch day, Beasley was living rent free in the Washington secondary all game.  Beasley was an absolute zone killer and consistent safety blanket for Josh, as he had zero issues finding him after making all his reads.  Beyond just the bail outs, Beasley had great YAC.  In a game where Sanders had two touchdowns and Diggs finally started getting into a rhythm, it was Beasley who seemed like the back breaker against Washington as he kept moving the chains and no one could seem to find him on the field besides Josh.

I loved seeing this. Josh's saftey blanket is as accurate a description as any. Need 4 yards? Beasley. Need 11 yards? Beasley. Need a connection for a first down? Beasley. Simply simpatico!

As always, terrific write-up, @Virgil

• Cheers 1

Edmunds seemed all game long to be the 2nd guy to wherever the ball carrier was but rarely seemed to actually touch him.

Maybe that's by design & he's doing what he's supposed to, but it sure seems like it isn't and he isn't.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Virgil said:

In a week where the Lions gave the Ravens a tough game (watch the Tucker kick if you haven't already). and the Chiefs lost again, the Bills look good at 2-1 with a strong defense and awakening offense. 

That Tucker kick should have been a 71-yarder. Not a lot of talk about it today, but Lamar somehow completed a 4th and 19, with no time outs left. On the ensuing play -- a quick out meant to get them closer -- the play got off almost an entire 2 seconds after the play clock expired. Tirico was the one who pointed it out to me on FNA. 

Oh, and great write up, as usual. 

• Like 4

Crap Throwing Clavin
21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Edmunds seemed all game long to be the 2nd guy to wherever the ball carrier was but rarely seemed to actually touch him.

Maybe that's by design & he's doing what he's supposed to, but it sure seems like it isn't and he isn't.

I commented at one point during the game that Ainolm made a great tackle of - Gaines, I think - while he was tackling the ball carrier.  

And yet, he still somehow leads the team in tackles for the game.  It's mystifying.  

13 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I commented at one point during the game that Ainolm made a great tackle of - Gaines, I think - while he was tackling the ball carrier.  

And yet, he still somehow leads the team in tackles for the game.  It's mystifying.  

I challenge tackles as a stat and it's not an official NFL stat.  If he's in a pile or near the tackle, he can get credit.  Most MLB's lead the team in tacklers, or the FS does if the team sucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

That Tucker kick should have been a 71-yarder. Not a lot of talk about it today, but Lamar somehow completed a 4th and 19, with no time outs left. On the ensuing play -- a quick out meant to get them closer -- the play got off almost an entire 2 seconds after the play clock expired. Tirico was the one who pointed it out to me on FNA. 

Oh, and great write up, as usual. 

If there ever was a need for a review, this is simple to do.  Not addressing it makes the NFL look like it is being influenced from the outside.  Get it right should be the mantra.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin said:

If there ever was a need for a review, this is simple to do.  Not addressing it makes the NFL look like it is being influenced from the outside.  Get it right should be the mantra.

Yep. They brought NY in to help cut down on mistakes. They should have seen this one.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Yup.

The play that Poyer got dinged on, Edmonds knocked him off the ball carrier & proceeded to cause him to tweak his leg.

Have not been on the "he's terrible" bandwagon, but am starting to eye up a corner of it.  Really thought this would be the season he starts living up to the hype.  Guess not.

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Have not been on the "he's terrible" bandwagon, but am starting to eye up a corner of it.  Really thought this would be the season he starts living up to the hype.  Guess not.

Yeah, took me all this time to jump on that bandwagon.  As is my way, I gave him a large benefit of the doubt until now, but when I jumped on that bandwagon, I committed to it wholeheartedly.

All the physical talent in the world, but he's just not getting the pro game.  

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Welcome to the club

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, B-Man said:

Great writeup

I think that we all share your concerns regarding Edmunds.

I’m not on that page at all.  All the little things get blamed on him but some of those are real reaches.  Early in the game Edmunds ran down a guy and stopped him short of a first.  Most MLBs don’t have anywhere near the speed to make that play.  

Would a team full of accountable winners like the Bills continue to vote Edmunds a captain if in their eyes he wasn’t contributing?

The rest of the write up I found on point.

Crap Throwing Clavin
31 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I’m not on that page at all.  All the little things get blamed on him but some of those are real reaches.  Early in the game Edmunds ran down a guy and stopped him short of a first.  Most MLBs don’t have anywhere near the speed to make that play.  

Would a team full of accountable winners like the Bills continue to vote Edmunds a captain if in their eyes he wasn’t contributing?

Times like this, I remember that you eat crayons.

3 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Times like this, I remember that you eat crayons.

I just find everyone breaking down every nuance of imperfection with Edmunds being compulsory as odd.  We’d prefer Leighton Vander Doodle because we’re told he’s great?  

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I just find everyone breaking down every nuance of imperfection with Edmunds being compulsory as odd.  We’d prefer Leighton Vander Doodle because we’re told he’s great?  

It's part of the territory when you trade up in the first to pick up a guy in a devalued position, that you expect a handful of game breaking plays.  

Donte Whitner didn't deserve the hate either, but he never lived up to the opportunity cost of the wasted draft capital.  

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Edmunds has outstanding athletic ability, but subpar instincts. Because of that dichotomy, the level of performance you're getting from him can vary greatly from game to game, or even from play to play. Need a play made that's a little beyond the athletic ability of the average linebacker to make? Edmunds is your guy. Is there an Andy Reid on the opposing sideline, doing his best to outsmart your defensive coaching staff and defensive players? Edmunds is probably not the guy you'd want to bank on to win that mental chess match.

Has Edmunds lived up to his draft status? No, he hasn't. That's on Beane for drafting him too early. It's not like Edmunds drafted himself! Should the Bills use a first or second round pick on his replacement? I personally hope it doesn't come to that. With aging players such as Sanders and Beasley at WR, and an offensive line which could use some improvement, I think that for now the Bills need to make do with Edmunds even if he isn't everything they'd hoped for. But, if one of their late round picks becomes the next Matt Milano, then that makes Edmunds a heck of a lot more replaceable.

• Like 1