Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

NFL Emails Scandal (Gruden thread expanded)

MothersMilk

The Wall Street Journal reports Raiders coach Jon Gruden sent an email that used a racist trope to describe NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith during the 2011 lockout.
The Wall Street Journal reports Gruden wrote "Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin tires" in his sent email during the height of the 2011 NFL lockout. Gruden, who recently apologized, said he was upset with how Smith was handling the CBA talks at the time, reaffirming to the WSJ that he "used a horrible way of explaining it." The NFL has since released an empty statement on the matter, stating the league "condemns the statement and regret any harm that its publication may inflict on Mr. Smith or anyone else.” The league is also reportedly sharing emails pertaining to Gruden with the Raiders while a person familiar with the matter, per WSJ Sports, said the NFL is currently discussing Gruden's status with the club. This story is far from over.

SOURCE: Andrew Beaton on Twitter
Oct 8, 2021, 5:00 PM ET

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/football/nfl/player-news#team=71&page=1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Wait... this happened a decade ago?

Sure did... and it probably gives the Raiders a big out if they wish.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

Sure did... and it probably gives the Raiders a big out if they wish.

Yeah, I dunno. I think Mark Davis is a big Gruden fan. 

Also, would you have a link to the tweet you took the content from? Kind of required.

With this software, all you need to do is copy the url and paste it here, the platform will automatically embed the Tweet.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Also, would you have a link to the tweet you took the content from? Kind of required.

With this software, all you need to do is copy the url and paste it here, the platform will automatically embed the Tweet.

To comply

Jon Gruden Used Racial Trope to Describe NFLPA Chief DeMaurice Smith in 2011 Email https://www.wsj.com/articles/jon-gruden-email-demaurice-smith-11633721045

• Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

Gruden: "Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin tires" 

My wife: "Big &#%$ing deal.  So does Angelina Jolie."

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Thread

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Oh, ok... thought the source was good enough, its right there. Hold on.

Edit: someone beat me to it.

Edited by MothersMilk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

Oh, ok... thought the source was good enough, its right there. Hold on.

Edit: someone beat me to it.

Could you update the OP? Thanks.

The "msm" complaining about gaslighting? Now that's chutzpah!

</snip>

And yet on Friday, Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden went with spin and gaslighting as a means of trying to explain the email he sent in 2011 that used tired, racist language to describe NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith. Gruden was working with ESPN at the time.

Part of a trove of over 650,000 emails the NFL began reviewing as part of its investigation into the misogynist culture that permeated the Washington Football Team offices for years, the Wall Street Journal reported that Gruden wrote of Smith:

"Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin [sic] tires.”

</snip>

Alaska Darin

It is hard to believe anyone is that &#%$ing stupid.  Yet here we are.

It's going to be really hard for him to keep that locker room.

• Cheers 1

Gruden could have been much more original and probably kept himself out of hot water. DeMaurice is a name in and of itself that denigrates the person named so. "DE" in French or Spanish means "duh". So, DuhMaurice is perfectly germane and would be a more appropriate put down. 

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

It is hard to believe anyone is that &#%$ing stupid.  Yet here we are.

It's going to be really hard for him to keep that locker room.

Yup.  Not to excuse the cancel culture nonsense, but even ten years ago that comment was way out of bounds.  It baffles me that public figures can be so reckless when they know everyone watches them all the time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Watching Football Night in America right now and both Dungy and Tirico said they didn't believe Gruden to be racist and that they accept his apology on it's face.

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Not at all surprised.  

Based on making fun of a physical feature of someone 10 years ago when he wasn’t employed by the Raiders or NFL? 

The blurb on MNF said something about additional emails, maybe those were worse?