Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

NFL Emails Scandal (Gruden thread expanded)

MothersMilk

4 hours ago, Joe said:

Gruden forced out the door for decade-old emails.

Rapist QB still in league in Houston.

Wonder why this is?

Because there's a player's union and not a coach's union.

Chucky's cardinal sin wasn't using a racist insult...it was attacking Goodell.  He likely survives the insult...even though it's clearly racist AF.  He could've said a million different things about Smith that would have been fine...except he didn't.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, RkFast said:

Im shocked and appalled that an NFL coach used language that the Super Bowl halftime acts use.

I kind-of hope Michelin buys a halftime ad slot during the Superbowl now...

• Wow 1
  • Haha 2
  • FANtastic 1

2 hours ago, RkFast said:

Im shocked and appalled that an NFL coach used language that the Super Bowl halftime acts use.

They should do the right thing and cancel all the upcoming halftime acts.

And replace it with the chicks who sing Wet Ass Pussy. It could be a tribute to all the women who earned jobs in the NFL as coaches and referees.

Crap Throwing Clavin
10 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Pfft.  Nobody cares about mere "employees."  Get back to us when we find out Jay Gruden said something mean about someone important.

Roger Goodell
5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Because there's a player's union and not a coach's union.

Chucky's cardinal sin wasn't using a racist insult...it was attacking Goodell.  He likely survives the insult...even though it's clearly racist AF.  He could've said a million different things about Smith that would have been fine...except he didn't.

The Raiders franchise determined that the pattern and severity of the content in Jon Gruden's emails is not aligned with the values of the NFL community.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Goodell said:

The Raiders franchise determined that the pattern and severity of the content in Jon Gruden's emails is not aligned with the values of the NFL community.

Now do DeSean Watson.  

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Mahoney said:

Flash back two weeks...

What a lineup, indeed!

Eminem, 'Fall'
"... Tyler create nothin', I see why you called yourself a f*g**t, b*tch, It's not just 'cause you lack attention, It's because you worship D12's b(lls, you're sack-religious..."

Dr. Dre, 'The Chronic'
"... Yeah, G's up, hoes down, If that b*tch cant' swim, then she bound to drizzown..."

Snoop Dogg, 'Set It Off'
"... Shootin' the breeze, with a cute Vietnamese; or was she Lebanese? I think she Chinese; It really don't matter cause they all on they knees..."

Small sampling of their lyrics. They've made a fortune glorifying this crap, and the NFL is going to "celebrate" them, despite its "zero-tolerance" policy on domestic violence, racism, homophobia and sexism/misogyny.

I'm sure this is "different," though, because shut up.

Its almost as if the expectations for the leader of a franchise are higher than those for the hired help of a half time show.  Go figure.

• Boo 1

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its almost as if the expectations for the leader of a franchise are higher than those for the hired help of a half time show.  Go figure.

Your point is kind of lost in the fact that this "hired help" you are trying to downplay,

is going to appear in the National Football Leagues premier event, in front of 75 to 80 million "fans"

Perhaps decades old emails for a head coach (the owner is the leader of an NFL franchise is the leader) which were selectively released, should be considered over a period of time,

before running someone else out on a social media rail.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Your point is kind of lost in the fact that this "hired help" you are trying to downplay,

is going to appear in the National Football Leagues premier event, in front of 75 to 80 million "fans"

Perhaps decades old emails for a head coach (the owner is the leader of an NFL franchise is the leader) which were selectively released, should be considered over a period of time,

before running someone else out on a social media rail.

My point stands.  Bad comparisons are bad for reasons which are obvious to anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty.  But if you want to argue that the expectations for a solo recording artist should be identical to those of a head coach of a football team, I will not stand in your way.

Yeah, people really picture Mark Davis first when they think about the Raiders since he's so public with his slick haircuts and all.  Head coach and QB are the face of the modern franchise not owners.

Gruden resigned and social media has nothing to do with it.  

I don't get it.  On one hand people are raging about cancel culture (after a resignation) and on the other hand they're pearl clutching over decades old rap lyrics.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

What's Janet Jackson up to these days?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Wrong. If this were true, Snyder would be gone. The NFL picks and chooses who to dump on, and anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty would acknowledge that.

My point -- which you clearly missed -- was about the NFL's hypocrisy on racism, sexism, homophobia and domestic violence. I'm not sure what you thought you read.

Edited by Mahoney
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Gruden resigned and social media has nothing to do with it. 

:classic_blink:

35 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't get it.  On one hand people are raging about cancel culture (after a resignation) and on the other hand they're pearl clutching over decades old rap lyrics.

I think the hypocrisy is the point. Why isn't everyone being held to the same standards?

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RkFast said:

Ya, but will we have to watch Gruden shake his putang?

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, Mahoney said:

Wrong. If this were true, Snyder would be gone. The NFL picks and chooses who to dump on, and anyone with a shred of intellectual honesty would acknowledge that.

My point -- which you clearly missed -- was about the NFL's hypocrisy on racism, sexism, homophobia and domestic violence. I'm not sure what you thought you read.

Way off base yet again.  You continue to conflate multiple parties and issues, draw false equivalencies, and play fast and loose to make some ill conceived and completely superficial point about hypocrisy. 

Gruden isn't an NFL employee.  Gruden is a former Raiders employee who resigned after his ability to lead an NFL franchise was compromised after it was leaked that he got racial with the head of the NFL players association, called the commissioner a fa**ot, and went off about queers in the locker room.  He managed to cover all the bases; players, commissioner, and the league.  How do you think these statements have endeared him to a locker room which is predominately black, has an openly gay player, and 100% belongs to the NFLPA?  Gruden resigned rather than find out.  He was not fired or even punished by the NFL. 

Continuing to conflate artistic expression with personal or business correspondence is just asinine.  Do you think Eminem and Dr. Dre's past lyrics have similarly compromised their ability to put on a half time show?  Should stand up comedians be held to the same standard as Jamie Dimon in terms of what they can and cannot say?  Bringing up old rap lyrics is just another lame "whataboutism".  You might have had a sliver of a weak point if the NFL had "fired" Gruden but they didn't.

Your question as to why Snyder hasn't been fired demonstrates little to no understanding of how the league actually works.  Snyder is an owner.  Goodell works for Snyder and the other owners and has no means to "fire" an owner.  Goodell can hand out punishments and take some level of action but he needs to think about his next contract negotiation.  Without the support of the rest of the owners he can't compel Snyder to sell his interest in the team, or fire him in laymans terms.  

I'll let you try again to explain how the NFL in: (1) booking Dr. Dre for a half time show; (2) allowing Gruden to resign (as if they had a say in the matter); and (3) failing to "fire" an owner for whatever it is you're insinuating Snyder should have been fired for (and we'll just ignore the fact that the NFL is the owners and Goodell can't fire an owner) equals hypocrisy.