Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

A few thoughts going into the KC Game

Virgil

When the BBFS was strong, I remember thinking all of our strong starts to season were a mirage and every game against the Pats was awaiting the inevitable.  Every time until McD and Josh came along, those feelings were correct.  Sitting at 3-1 with the Chiefs and Titans coming up in prime time (seriously, how does this happen back to back two years in a row?!), I can't help but feel that dread I felt back in the day.  In any case, when I'm having these thoughts take over my mind, it helps to write them out.

1 - Coaching - In our last three games against the Chiefs, it's hard for me to even evaluate how our players performed because I feel like we got out-coached that badly.  I don't know if it's a mentor/mentee thing, but it seemed like Reid had our playbook in his hands all game.  I recognize that strategy and playing to strengths/weaknesses is important, but I also believe in trusting you talent and going for it.  Yes, the Chiefs can be scary on offense and score at any time, but so can we!  Stop trying to pre-counter them before the game stops, punch them in the mouth, and show them Bills football!

2 - Diggs - After watching the Chiefs celebrate the AFC Championship, I feel like Diggs is going to be amped up and demand the ball this game.  I expect him to be physical and get his yards.  We will go to him early and often, and force the Chiefs to adjust.

3 - Rest of the receivers - Sanders is known to be great off press coverage and I think the rest of our guys remember how they got man-handled last game.  I expect to see a lot of motion, pick plays, and whatever else they need to do in order to get guys free off the line.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few personal fouls early against the Bills.  While I don't condone that, I will understand why.

4 - Karma ain't what you think it is
Super stressed, still handle all of my business
Do the best I can, yes, I can
Yes, I am, misfortune
I know in the dark, they be lurking (why?)
Same way they lurk in your head when they get in your mind
You don't wanna know what they're tryin' to find
I'll protect your soul, uh

5 - MotorMoss - I think both guys have shown much better play in space and aren't going down against arm tackles from single defenders.  This was such a huge gap for us last season as neither could do much of anything against a 4 man line.  Making the Chiefs at least respect the idea of rushing the ball will be huge.

6 - THEM - There's only two names you think about when facing the Chiefs offense, and that's Kelce and Hill.  Hill is having a great season, but has shown he can be shut down when the defense focuses on him.  Kelce is another story and we still don't know the status of Milano and Poyer.  In our last game, we made sure they didn't beat us deep, so they dink and dunked their way down field, while also breaking off long yards after the catch.  If you watched the Chiefs/Ravens game, they did the same thing for them.  To me, the coverage isn't as relevant as the pressure we get on Mahomes.  If we press them, but Mahomes has time to throw, they will eventually get open and tear us apart.  There is no perfect answer, but let's make sure they feel every single hit after the catch.

7 - Josh - Rain of shine, we need our 43 million dollar a year quarterback this game.  He can't be 2021 or Sugar High Josh.  He needs to be 2021 Josh and have the confidence to score on every play.  He needs to be free to run with the ball, set his feet for throws, and take a couple of hits early.  This is the prove it game against a team he's 0-3 against and will play of years to come as division winners.

8 - Knox - Knox has had a great season so far and we need this to continue.  If Knox can continue to open up the field by stealing the middle seam, that is going to do wonders for everyone else downfield

9 - Pass Rush - Mahomes has legs and you can't just send the house.  You almost need to play him like Lamar, where you spread the line and collapse the pocket in, removing the rushing lanes slowly.  Give him 3 seconds, but no more, and like Groot has done so many times, keep the spy in the back of your mind.

10 - Confidence - The Chiefs are the only team left in the league that I don't believe we can beat and I wonder if the players/coaches feel the same way.  That all goes away with a win.  Beating them doesn't guarantee us a path to the Super Bowl, but we would have a 2.5 game lead, as well as the confidence in knowing we can beat them.  Of all things, that is the most important thing to me.  After the Chiefs, there isn't a single team we can't beat on any given Sunday

Go Bills!

• Like 4
  • Cheers 2
  • FANtastic 2

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

When the BBFS was strong, I remember thinking all of our strong starts to season were a mirage and every game against the Pats was awaiting the inevitable.  Every time until McD and Josh came along, those feelings were correct.  Sitting at 3-1 with the Chiefs and Titans coming up in prime time (seriously, how does this happen back to back two years in a row?!), I can't help but feel that dread I felt back in the day. ...

I guess I may be in the minority but I don't know that I ever really suffered from the BBFS. I always expect they will win, always. I might get a bit disgruntled when they lose, and during that two decade rut we were in, say well, 'that was a Billsy loss' (because we experienced just about everyway possible to lose. But I always came back next week fully expecting we were going to win.

• Like 1
  • Doh! 1

13 hours ago, Virgil said:

3 - Rest of the receivers - Sanders is known to be great off press coverage and I think the rest of our guys remember how they got man-handled last game. 

We got pushed around big time in the AFCC.  If nothing else, I hope that is reversed.

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Foxx said:

I guess I may be in the minority but I don't know that I ever really suffered from the BBFS. I always expect they will win, always. I might get a bit disgruntled when they lose, and during that two decade rut we were in, say well, 'that was a Billsy loss' (because we experienced just about everyway possible to lose. But I always came back next week fully expecting we were going to win.

Don't know how during the many years wandering the desert you could expect a win every week?  Hope for 1, absolutely.  Expect it?  Just don't see it.

When they should be going 6-10 or 7-9, like they were set up for for many years, the expectation is 100% depending upon the opponent.  Good opponents killed them.  They beat bad ones.  And the Lions & Browns gave them competitive but horrible games.

• Cheers 1

Great writeup as always Virgil!

I couldn’t agree more with the point about them being out-coached. In those games Andy Reid demonstrated why he’d fired McDermott when they were both in Philadelphia. Hopefully McDermott straightens him out today! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Don't know how during the many years wandering the desert you could expect a win every week?  Hope for 1, absolutely.  Expect it?  Just don't see it...

Is that what they call blind homerism?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Virgil having thoughts before the game. You know its big. 

Thanks man, appreciate your contributions

I encourage all my fellow patrons to participate more in on board discussions.

Bills, Chiefs, biggest game of the weekend.  all eyes will be watching. Prime time baby,

this is what its all about ... 

• Like 1

Love the Sanders mention. Brown cost us in the championship game. Dropped a couple balls and was not good against the bullying of the Chiefs.

also - am I forgetting something about the 3rd game? Was thinking we’ve only faced Mahomes led chiefs 2x?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Love the Sanders mention. Brown cost us in the championship game. Dropped a couple balls and was not good against the bullying of the Chiefs.

also - am I forgetting something about the 3rd game? Was thinking we’ve only faced Mahomes led chiefs 2x?

Buffalo v KC meetings

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

We got pushed around big time in the AFCC.  If nothing else, I hope that is reversed.

I agree,

I think its very possible the Bills will meet up with the Chiefs again in the playoffs.

Win or lose , don't get pushed around again like little kids at the playground. Getting all their lunch money stolen from them in the friggin process.

Diggs needs to eat... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 minutes ago, Ann said:

And 2017 was the first season under McBeane...so three games. 

Though it was a very different roster back in 2017.  Dawkins, Milano, Hughes, Hyde, Poyer, and Tre White are the only ones left from that season that I see.

Oh, and Taiwan Jones.  :classic_wacko:

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Though it was a very different roster back in 2017.  Dawkins, Milano, Hughes, Hyde, Poyer, and Tre White are the only ones left from that season that I see.

And the Bills won that one!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Yeah, and we beat them and they didn’t have Mahomes playing. Real different chiefs team back then. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, and we beat them and they didn’t have Mahomes playing. Real different chiefs team back then. 

Speaking of different, Marsha and the Bucs spanked them so hard in the Superbowl the Chiefs are still feeling the sting IMO.