Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills vs Chiefs Week 5: The Aftermath

Ann

On 10/12/2021 at 11:01 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

Cant recommend this article enough. Don’t know the person who wrote it but it’s worth the read

https://readoptional.substack.com/p/bills-josh-allen-daboll-offense-scheme

4 hours ago, Spartacus said:

this is excellent stuff

It really is. I've now a different perspective to watch the game from with the next viewing. 

2 hours ago, Ann said:

He got fined for it, but I do not recall there being a penalty called

Yeah, that was ridiculous. Especially since the Chiefs were getting their asses handed to them when he pulled that crap on Diggs.

That fool is definitely not a 'process' guy. The Chefs can keep him.

Edited by Koko
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Koko said:

Yeah, that was ridiculous. Especially since the Chiefs were getting their asses handed to them when he pulled that crap on Diggs.

That fool is definitely not a 'process' guy. The Chefs can keep him.

You know, that's an interesting perspective.  I think "most" players would come here and just go along with the culture because they wouldn't have much choice given the team's leadership.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, Foxx said:

Just wanted to add a minor commentary to this.

Here is the play: Mahomes hands off to Hill who runs from the 28 to the 15. Robinson holds White at the 13 yard line. Because the hold occurred at the 13, the penalty was assessed from that spot, which put the ball at the 23. Making the next play first and 5. 

Now, I don't know the exact wording of the rule for holding in that situation, but it has occurred to me that there is a possible quirk here. The foul was at the 13, the runner gained the 15. Backing up 10 from the spot of the foul only assesses in effect an 8 yard penalty. What happens if say, the holding occurred at the 2? Does it get assessed from the 2, making the new scrimmage line, the 12 yard line... three yards further downfield that what Hill actually gained on the play, sans the holding?

ETA: I originally placed this in the closed game day thread, not realizing the thread was closed (not completely my fault, I hadn't had the Morning Joe yet). I deleted it there and brought it over here hoping to get some commentary on it because I truly do not know what would happen in my hypothetical. Anyone?

Always thought on offensive penalties the key was where the ball was at the time of the penalty, not where the foul happened.  E.g., if the QB is in the end zone and a hold takes place it is a safety regardless whether the hold took place in the end zone or at the 2.  & vice versa, that if the QB was at the 2, it's a 10 yard / 1/2 the distance to the goal line regardless of whether the hold was in the ending or at the 2.

Pretty sure that should've been 1st down and whatever at ~ the 28 as the runner was at ~ the 18 when the hold happened.  But don't know the NFL Rulebok nearly as well as the NHL Rulebook, so that's just a guess.

Just chalked it up to 1 more blown call from a seriously bad officiating crew.

Which was reminiscent of IIRC the '91 nightmare game in KC.  Lofton fumbled the ball out of bounds and somehow the ball got spotted 5 yards back of where it should've been.  Michaels commented that 'the Bills got screwed on that call.'  (Maybe he said 'hosed.'  Either way, it was nice to see him call it like he saw it.  Which was replicated Sunday night when he said softly "really?" after watching Morse's "hold."

• Like 1