Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills vs Titans Week 6: The Aftermath

Ann

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't think the play calling was a problem, either.  The sack on the second to last drive was all on Josh.  He had a nice gain available to his right but chose to try to be greedy.  That was dumb as shit.

Oh no doubt about that last point.

But under no circumstances should this team ever begin a drive with two runs.

EVER.

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

My problem is the play, not the decision.  You're acting like there's no data available that says our defense couldn't make a play...when it's literally what ALL the data says.

And there was a lot of data that says we were getting stopped in the red zone. I think living to fight another battle is the better crapshot decision. We’re debating a hypothetical failed crapshot vs. an actual failed crapshot. 
🍺🍺

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Like 60-65% 353 and 3 TD isn't his best game? Nah man, Josh was fine behind a weak OL and despite some questionable play calling

His decision making was 2019 Allen.  The physical tools didn't regress, but the thought process sure did.

Just now, Joe said:

Oh no doubt about that last point.

But under no circumstances should this team ever begin a drive with two runs.

EVER.

You better hope we never play the Chargers.  You're going to lose your mind. 

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

His decision making was 2019 Allen.  The physical tools didn't regress, but the thought process sure did.

Not sure I buy that argument, bit hey

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snafu said:

And there was a lot of data that says we were getting stopped in the red zone. I think living to fight another battle is the better crapshot decision. We’re debating a hypothetical failed crapshot vs. an actual failed crapshot. 
🍺🍺

The decision was fine.  I'd do that EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If you can't make one play to get 18 inches, you deserve to lose every game.

You're Monday morning QBing a defense needing to make FOUR plays consecutively or get a miracle turnover when they made a grand total of 2 plays since the first quarter.  Again...there's literally NO supporting data for your point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I'm not sure I agree with that completely.  There were clearly a couple of times when he thought he saw something that wasn't there and it blew up...but outside the dumb sack he took late, he played a very nice road game against a team that far too many people discounted as less than they are.

I REALLY hope he learns from that sack because it was really the thing that gave the Thumbtacks life.  I know he's always going to be one of those guys who will make me say "NO!  NO!  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! a couple times a game because he makes some insane plays...but that's one of the reasons he's actually special.

Just now, Alaska Darin said:

You're Monday morning QBing a defense needing to make FOUR plays consecutively or get a miracle turnover when they made a grand total of 2 plays since the first quarter.  Again...there's literally NO supporting data for your point.

…or win the coin toss and score a TD (because that’s also an option).

…or TN makes a mistake on their drive (because that’s happened before, too).

I understand what you’re saying about the defense, but there are other alternatives. You’re making it a zero sum decision, and it isn’t. 

I’m not Monday morning the decision.  I didn’t like it at the time, but didn’t type anything because I didn’t want to miss the play. 

4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

When you go for it on 4th down, all your risk is concentrated into that one play. But when you go into overtime, your risk is spread out across a number of plays. This creates the illusion that overtime is less risky.

Had they taken overtime, odds are the Titans are scoring a lot of touchdowns, based on the way the defense had played. That means the Bills' odds of winning an overtime game are probably less than 50%. Whereas, your chance of making that 4th down play should be a lot higher than 50%.

Going for it on 4th down was probably the right call. Running the ball on that play, on a night when the offensive line was getting dominated, with a QB who doesn't have a great knack for a QB sneak, may not have been the best possible play call.

48 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

If you can't get one yard to win the game, you deserve to lose.

Tennessee's OLine won this game.  Ours lost it.

Exactly. If you're bitching because you wanted to tie the game so they could just beat the shit out of the Bills in OT, you weren't watching this game very closely. They were a foot slip and Dion Dawkins blow up from putting this game to bed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm not sure I agree with that completely.  There were clearly a couple of times when he thought he saw something that wasn't there and it blew up...but outside the dumb sack he took late, he played a very nice road game against a team that far too many people discounted as less than they are.

I REALLY hope he learns from that sack because it was really the thing that gave the Thumbtacks life.  I know he's always going to be one of those guys who will make me say "NO!  NO!  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! a couple times a game because he makes some insane plays...but that's one of the reasons he's actually special.

Probably a bit too harsh in the immediate aftermath of the loss but it just seemed he was back to trying to force big plays when they weren't really there but chain moving plays were available.

Which is indicative of how much he's raised the bar.  They scored 31 with only 1 short field and it still felt like he has another gear.  Even 2 years ago, we've been ecstatic w/ the O & especially Allen.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
28 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I don't think the play calling was a problem, either.  The sack on the second to last drive was all on Josh.  He had a nice gain available to his right but chose to try to be greedy.  That was dumb as shit.

Probably the biggest flaw on this team.  If you can play them close, Josh tries to win it all on his own.  

There's worse problems to have, admittedly.  But it's still a problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Probably the biggest flaw on this team.  If you can play them close, Josh tries to win it all on his own.  

There's worse problems to have, admittedly.  But it's still a problem.

It's less of a problem if he gets the first down on that dive at the goal line. If he gets that first down, and get four chances to punch it in, we would love his hero ball shit.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CarpetCrawler said:

It's going to be a long 2 weeks without football. Hard to get even get psyched up for the Jests after the break.

Until you remember what happened after they lost to the Cards at the buzzer just before last year's bye week.

• Like 2

TtownBillsFan
2 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

When you go for it on 4th down, all your risk is concentrated into that one play. But when you go into overtime, your risk is spread out across a number of plays. This creates the illusion that overtime is less risky.

Had they taken overtime, odds are the Titans are scoring a lot of touchdowns, based on the way the defense had played. That means the Bills' odds of winning an overtime game are probably less than 50%. Whereas, your chance of making that 4th down play should be a lot higher than 50%.

Going for it on 4th down was probably the right call. Running the ball on that play, on a night when the offensive line was getting dominated, with a QB who doesn't have a great knack for a QB sneak, may not have been the best possible play call.

99/100 times JA gets that first down.  I know you likely agree with that.  Sucks we didn't get it.  I'd bet that every time.  Sucks we didn't get it tonight.  I'm surprised that team hung with us as well and as long as they did.  They're RB is the best the NFL has seen since Thurmond or Barry (definitely better, as far as physical traits go)!!!

• Like 3