Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Sports and Society

LB3

This thread can be a place to discuss stories that affect the various leagues that may stray into political or social discussions. Things can be discussed here so that they won't clutter up the main NFL and other sports forums.

Mods, if you disagree with having this in the current events section, you can move it as you see fit.

Edited by LB3
  • Like 1

Enes Kanter spoke out about China, supporting a "Free Tibet". China removed the Celtics broadcast last night and evidently nothing appears when you search Kanter's name there now.

Daryl Morey once spoke out about China and was quickly reprimanded by LeBron James and the other woke players and coaches in the league. Will the NBA once again cave to China? Will LeBron show himself to be a hypocrite once again?

Edited by LB3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nouseforaname

There is an incredible difference between sports in America and Europe with regards to politics.  

In America, most sports fans are apolitical or just want a break from politics while in Europe, the players generally are apolitical and the fans are basically left wing or right wing groups that actually fight each other physically and verbally.

Example:

Who isn't jumping is a communist 😁

52 minutes ago, Meazza said:

There is an incredible difference between sports in America and Europe with regards to politics.  

In America, most sports fans are apolitical or just want a break from politics while in Europe, the players generally are apolitical and the fans are basically left wing or right wing groups that actually fight each other physically and verbally.

Example:

Who isn't jumping is a communist 😁

I had thought the firms that fought were just people who liked to fight. I had not thought it was a political thing.

As an aside, I love the movie Green Street Hooligans.

Nouseforaname
38 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I had thought the firms that fought were just people who liked to fight. I had not thought it was a political thing.

As an aside, I love the movie Green Street Hooligans.

No these are organized soccer fans who have political leanings and are very influential.  The teams and police are actually afraid of them.

Example, my favorite soccer team AS Roma has a group of supporters that are called 'Fedayn'.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LB3 said:

China removed the Celtics broadcast last night

Dang, they missed a classic. Double overtime and the Garden was rocking!

I don’t watch a lot of basketball, but that was a great second half and OT!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LB3 said:

FCK5NxMVgAIRve6?format=jpg&name=medium

I've been seeing a lot of "shut up and dribble" lately.

You know, I think Kyree is a different sort of dude, but the NBA had one set of rules that he followed, and NYC had a different set of rules that he won’t follow. I can see where his teammates and the Nets brass might thinks he’s selfish, and yet, he’s got a point.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LB3 said:

Enes Kanter spoke out about China, supporting a "Free Tibet". China removed the Celtics broadcast last night and evidently nothing appears when you search Kanter's name there now.

Daryl Morey once spoke out about China and was quickly reprimanded by LeBron James and the other woke players and coaches in the league. Will the NBA once again cave to China? Will LeBron show himself to be a hypocrite once again?

The NBA is trying to expand into the largest market on the planet.  This is business.

19 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The NBA is trying to expand into the largest market on the planet.  This is business.

It is. No disagreement there. Just funny coming from the league that thinks the word "owner" is insensitive.

I look forward to the response from the league and its players.

Edited by LB3

3 hours ago, Meazza said:

Example, my favorite soccer team AS Roma has a group of supporters that are called 'Fedayn'.

Wasn't Fedayn the guy who married Britney Spears?

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Maybe if they remove him, blacks will finally have the opportunities they deserve in pro basketball.

I wonder what guys like LeBron James would do if they actually had to compete against blacks.