Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Extreme Weather

Foxx

8 feet of snow! Up to 48 feet waves! A beast of a bomb cyclone is about to hit the coast of the northwestern United States and western Canada

Can you imagine that? Weather forecasters are saying a bomb cyclone could bury the western coast of North America in up to 8 feet of snow and trigger waves of 48 feet in the Pacific Ocean! This bombogenesis will also be accompanied by a powerful atmospheric river already known for its heavy rains and dangerous flash flooding.

A beast of a bomb cyclone will take shape just off the coast of the northwestern United States and western Canada later this week, and AccuWeather forecasters say it will rival, in some aspects, the intensity of strong hurricanes from the Atlantic this season.

The powerful storm will bring dangerous and damaging impacts up and down the West Coast, but the precipitation it will deliver to parts of California, Oregon and Washington is greatly needed. ...

Crap Throwing Clavin
13 minutes ago, Foxx said:

8 feet of snow! Up to 48 feet waves! A beast of a bomb cyclone is about to hit the coast of the northwestern United States and western Canada

Can you imagine that? Weather forecasters are saying a bomb cyclone could bury the western coast of North America in up to 8 feet of snow and trigger waves of 48 feet in the Pacific Ocean! This bombogenesis will also be accompanied by a powerful atmospheric river already known for its heavy rains and dangerous flash flooding.

A beast of a bomb cyclone will take shape just off the coast of the northwestern United States and western Canada later this week, and AccuWeather forecasters say it will rival, in some aspects, the intensity of strong hurricanes from the Atlantic this season.

The powerful storm will bring dangerous and damaging impacts up and down the West Coast, but the precipitation it will deliver to parts of California, Oregon and Washington is greatly needed. ...

Will it deliver a working hyperlink?

13 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Will it deliver a working hyperlink?

Sorry about that. I hate posting on my phone. Try it again, it should be working now.

Different storm system but one that affects us here.  Heavy rains with already saturated ground has caused localized flooding in areas east of Rochester, NY.  I was out late in the afternoon and experienced water crossing roadways where it is rare for it to do so.  If you are out this evening in the previously mentioned area please watch out for hazards including falling trees.  Rain is expected to resume as the storm moves east.  More rain for Friday.  Yea!?

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Different storm system but one that affects us here.  Heavy rains with already saturated ground has caused localized flooding in areas east of Rochester, NY.  I was out late in the afternoon and experienced water crossing roadways where it is rare for it to do so.  If you are out this evening in the previously mentioned area please watch out for hazards including falling trees.  Rain is expected to resume as the storm moves east.  More rain for Friday.  Yea!?

We have had more rain it the last three days then the last month here in NNY. 

I don't know how extreme this is but for lack of wanting to start a new thread...

G3 - Strong geomagnetic storm watch in effect for October 30 after major X1.0 solar flare

Solar activity reached high levels on October 28, 2021, with a pair of M-class flares from geoeffective AR 2887 at 07:40 and 10:28 UTC, followed by a major X1.0 flare at 15:35 UTC which generated an Earth-directed coronal mass ejection (CME). As a result, a G3 - Strong geomagnetic storm watch is in effect for October 30.

A fast, asymmetric Halo CME was first observed in LASCO C2 imagery at 15:48 UTC, with CME impact at Earth expected early to mid October 30.1

A G3 - Strong geomagnetic storm watch is in effect for October 30 and G2 - Moderate for October 31.

Potential impacts (G3 - Strong):
(area of impact primarily poleward of 50 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude)

• Induced Currents - Power system voltage irregularities possible, false alarms may be triggered on some protection devices.
  • Spacecraft - Systems may experience surface charging; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites and orientation problems may occur.
  • Navigation - Intermittent satellite navigation (GPS) problems, including loss-of-lock and increased range error may occur.
  • Radio - HF (high frequency) radio may be intermittent.
  • Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as Pennsylvania to Iowa to Oregon.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:41 PM, Foxx said:

It sounds like those fears were pretty overblown.  Other than some localized flooding (which naturally drove people into near-hysterics), the storm last weekend was nothing but good.   Fire season is done, small dent in the drought (we probably need a half dozen more of these storms), Lake Tahoe got several inches of rain and Squaw Valley got 3' or so of snow, meaning they're planning to open the mountain early this year!!

They said Mt Tam got 14" over the weekend, so pretty cool to see bone dry creek beds that I was hiking in the middle of a few days prior gushing with water.

• FANtastic 1

29 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It sounds like those fears were pretty overblown.  Other than some localized flooding (which naturally drove people into near-hysterics), the storm last weekend was nothing but good.   Fire season is done, small dent in the drought (we probably need a half dozen more of these storms), Lake Tahoe got several inches of rain and Squaw Valley got 3' or so of snow, meaning they're planning to open the mountain early this year!!

They said Mt Tam got 14" over the weekend, so pretty cool to see bone dry creek beds that I was hiking in the middle of a few days prior gushing with water.

Glad to hear that. 3' of snow on Squaw Valley, wow.

On 10/26/2021 at 9:08 PM, Fansince88 said:

We have had more rain it the last three days then the last month here in NNY. 

I drove from Buffalo-VT-Buffalo this past weekend and the amount of water everywhere was staggering. I-90 was almost under water.

• Wow 1

9 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I drove from Buffalo-VT-Buffalo this past weekend and the amount of water everywhere was staggering. I-90 was almost under water.

I did the LI-Buffalo round trip and all along the southern tier the rivers were over their banks.

Made a side trip to the Falls and the rapids were intense.

Edited by snafu
  • Like 1