Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Extreme Weather

Foxx

1 hour ago, MothersMilk said:

Why not? They do the same with the old cigar factories down here and they look great.

Or the old sugar warehouses and mills in the Virgin Islands. I always thought a Buffalo economic development corp should have taken a look-see at the fabulous repurpose of those, and contacted whoever did them to get some ideas. Also, the grain elevators at RiverWorks are kinda cool.

• Cheers 2

Just a light dusting in Tahoe this week.....all time December snow records now broken.  A little frustrating for there to be too much damn snow to go skiing.

image.thumb.png.217d284c548fdf924197394b63db7e43.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

40 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Just a light dusting in Tahoe this week.....all time December snow records now broken.  A little frustrating for there to be too much damn snow to go skiing.

image.thumb.png.217d284c548fdf924197394b63db7e43.png

Isn't this what was needed though? Plenty of water for when the fire season starts.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

Isn't this what was needed though? Plenty of water for when the fire season starts.

Oh this is entirely what was needed.  We're way ahead of average rain/snow totals for this point in the year so seeing significant  relief from the drought.  Also, Lake Tahoe was quite low this year so the snowpack will really help to fill it up for the summer.

It would have been great if the timing had been a couple days later as we would have been up there for the storm.  As it stands now, highways still closed so can't get there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The track of the coming low pressure system is coming into focus.  Looks like points west of Rochester, NY may receive 20 inches of snow or more from Sunday night into Monday afternoon.  Areas east of Rochester will most likely receive several inches of snow.  All this is subject to change as the exact trajectory of the storm unfolds.  For those who concern themselves with such weather this storm has been talked about for a few days now.  In any event even though bitterly cold today would be a good day to double check any needs that should be addressed should travel not be possible along with power outages.  Make sure your primary vehicle has plenty of fuel, if you have a snowblower start it to make sure everything works along with topping off the fuel tank for small engine powered units.  If your shopping day is early in the week normally then it would be wise to move it up to today or tomorrow.  Check for prone tree limbs that might come down with heavy snow plus wind.  Lets revisit the storm progress later today.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The track of the coming low pressure system is coming into focus.  Looks like points west of Rochester, NY may receive 20 inches of snow or more from Sunday night into Monday afternoon.  Areas east of Rochester will most likely receive several inches of snow.  All this is subject to change as the exact trajectory of the storm unfolds.  For those who concern themselves with such weather this storm has been talked about for a few days now.  In any event even though bitterly cold today would be a good day to double check any needs that should be addressed should travel not be possible along with power outages.  Make sure your primary vehicle has plenty of fuel, if you have a snowblower start it to make sure everything works along with topping off the fuel tank for small engine powered units.  If your shopping day is early in the week normally then it would be wise to move it up to today or tomorrow.  Check for prone tree limbs that might come down with heavy snow plus wind.  Lets revisit the storm progress later today.  

Truck battery died with the last cold snap. Wasn't fun changing it in 9 degree weather. Add in that with these new vehicles and the way they shoe horn everything in, swapping the new for the old takes a lot longer than it should. It should be a sin, how many things you need to remove just to change the battery. 

:soapbox:

15 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Truck battery died with the last cold snap. Wasn't fun changing it in 9 degree weather. Add in that with these new vehicles and the way they shoe horn everything in, swapping the new for the old takes a lot longer than it should. It should be a sin, how many things you need to remove just to change the battery. 

:soapbox:

I had to replace a starter solenoid on a tractor in the same conditions this week.  It was miserable to get on the back nut never mind you can't directly hit the thread with lubricant plus the same nut has been untouched most likely since the tractor went down the assembly line in 1985.  Pucked around with a 3/8 drive socket and extension almost hitting the sweet spot until I decided a 1/4 inch might fit more snuggly.  Spent a couple of hours tracking all that down complete with U joint.  Spent a couple hours watching the U joint flopping before thinking that I over thought that idea.  Removed U joint from extension then found light hammer to tap assembly onto nut even though I could only swing the hammer 1 1/2 inches.  A couple hours later the nut was pretty well off of the stud.  Got the starter out of the way and wire brushed the stud.  Oh, and while I still have high praise for JD I was not happy that the solenoid is not offered as a separate part anymore from JD.  Located aftermarket supplier locally and spent two hours driving for that.  Batteries are not in the best of condition but I have plenty of jumper options plus hate starting a new battery warranty in the middle of winter.  I was trying to leave the tractor open for other work but will put on required rear ballast so I can move snow without chains.  Front end loader is not all that great for moving large volumes of snow but will work.  I told the wife that the JD X500 is getting a 44 inch two stage for next winter.  With all that preparation it will be like the 1980's all over again where you could not even beg for an inch of snow.  Other than when I lived in Ithaca, NY driving a rear wheel drive Chevy.  

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Batteries are not in the best of condition but I have plenty of jumper options plus hate starting a new battery warranty in the middle of winter.

A word about vehicle batteries...

The old Die Hard battery tech was sold to Interstate Batteries back in the '90's. If anyone owned one from back then, or an Interstate one, they know how hardy those were/are. We are fortunate to have a Interstate warehouse here in Henrietta.

22 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I had to replace a starter solenoid on a tractor in the same conditions this week.  It was miserable to get on the back nut never mind you can't directly hit the thread with lubricant plus the same nut has been untouched most likely since the tractor went down the assembly line in 1985.  Pucked around with a 3/8 drive socket and extension almost hitting the sweet spot until I decided a 1/4 inch might fit more snuggly.  Spent a couple of hours tracking all that down complete with U joint.  Spent a couple hours watching the U joint flopping before thinking that I over thought that idea.  Removed U joint from extension then found light hammer to tap assembly onto nut even though I could only swing the hammer 1 1/2 inches.  A couple hours later the nut was pretty well off of the stud.  Got the starter out of the way and wire brushed the stud.  Oh, and while I still have high praise for JD I was not happy that the solenoid is not offered as a separate part anymore from JD.  Located aftermarket supplier locally and spent two hours driving for that.  Batteries are not in the best of condition but I have plenty of jumper options plus hate starting a new battery warranty in the middle of winter.  I was trying to leave the tractor open for other work but will put on required rear ballast so I can move snow without chains.  Front end loader is not all that great for moving large volumes of snow but will work.  I told the wife that the JD X500 is getting a 44 inch two stage for next winter.  With all that preparation it will be like the 1980's all over again where you could not even beg for an inch of snow.  Other than when I lived in Ithaca, NY driving a rear wheel drive Chevy.  

Get a 60" if the tractor is big enough to handle it.  You won't be disappointed.

1 pass each direction & you're done.

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Get a 60" if the tractor is big enough to handle it.  You won't be disappointed.

1 pass each direction & you're done.

44 inch is as big as that tractor will accept.  Even at 44 inches that will be more productive than a loader where snow readily bypasses the bucket.  Need a soft cab to keep dry.  Or I could just put a 96 inch blower on the back of the loader tractor.  Sad to say but the neighbor down the road who passed away around a year ago will have an estate including a 44 inch ready to go so that is what I am thinking at the moment.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 10:48 AM, RochesterRob said:

My worst ever was replacing the U-Joints on a 76 Silverado in a driving snowstorm when I was already sick.  Guess who ended up with pneumonia? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1