Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Extreme Weather

Foxx

Tornadoes are scary.

If you want to look at this on the Facebook link in the second tweet, around the 6:30 mark

From the article (they have after photos of the truck)

He was in shock; he was crying,” said Ruben Briones, who said he helped the driver of the red pickup truck seen flipping over on Highway 290 in Elgin in a widely-circulated video.

"He told me it was scary,” said Briones, who added the driver is from Manor but is leaving the truck in Elgin near where the tornado touched down for the time being.

</snip>

Commander Crim said he spoke with the driver on the side of the road shortly after the tornado hit.

“I asked if he was okay, and he shook his head and didn’t really answer me,” he said. At that point, Crim had not seen the video yet.

“Now I understand why he had a blind stare. I’m sure he was scared to death,” he said. Crim said a woman who identified herself as an off-duty EMT had wrapped the driver’s arm in a bandage.

We’re still working to track down the driver himself. Police said they believe he’s in his late teens or 20s.

16-year-old driver tossed in Elgin tornado lucky to be alive

</snip>

According to a preliminary report released by the National Weather Service, the Elgin tornado was an EF-2 tornado with winds of 130 mph and a track length of 14 miles.

</snip>

"It just happened fast," said 16-year-old Riley Leon.

Leon said he was on his way home from Whataburger where he had gone for a job interview.

"I actually called my friend. I was like, 'I got the job!'" Leon said. "Everything was going good."

Then, he suddenly found himself in the middle of a tornado.

"I honestly didn't know what to do, to grab onto the steering wheel or to start praying," the 11th grader said.

The tornado pushed his Silverado on its side, then bounced it back upright, before he appeared to simply drive on.

"On the video, it looks like I drove off but in reality I didn't," he said. "I landed in the center of the road and I was just driving to get off the road."

</snip>

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Not shortwave!  How ever will I talk to random old dudes in Sweden?

You jest but the shortwave market is still pretty robust. I know of a number of folks who still utilize them.

Not to add more minutia to the thread, but adding more minutia....

During these times, the airline polar routes are not flown, since the radiation levels are high.

Usually just a night or two, but adds about half hour to Us-Asia routes, and cruise altitudes are lower.

• Like 3

My college roommate was a ham and he had those QSL cards they collect from contacting people from all over the world. He had one from King Hussein of Jordan.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I drove through there a few years ago.  That's a pretty remote, narrow little section of the OBX with no big houses or commerce, so presumably no one is paying to rebuild dunes.  

• Like 2

I looked this up on the map and it was in a slightly different spot than I thought, but it's still just past the Pea Island National Wildlife land (cool little museum there), on the way to Hatteras and well south of the Outer Banks crowds/traffic.  The point being that the whole row of houses east of Ocean Drive (where the two collapses this week happened) are toast and just waiting for the same fate.  Owners are responsible for debris clean up on federal land (which is pretty much all beaches), but obviously plenty of people who own condemned beach houses are not exactly sticking around to pay for the clean up.  Obviously a problem that is going to increase as time goes by.

Frustrations mount over imperiled Outer Banks houses | Coastal Review

image.thumb.png.303f50242a44f2b27d552ef501be2f10.png

• 1 month later...

It already feels like 80 degrees out and humid as all get out.

Thunderstorms with hail and a chance of a tornado today.

@Ann you won't be missing western NY today.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

It already feels like 80 degrees out and humid as all get out.

Thunderstorms with hail and a chance of a tornado today.

@Ann you won't be missing western NY today.

You all stay safe and dry! 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Right by Lake Erie it was cloudy but dry today. Was 82 at  8 AM. The front that brought tornados to Wisconsin  didn't hit  Buffalo.The lake (~60 degrees)caused the storms to die down over the water and they didn't reform their power until maybe about 40 miles or so inland (near Letchworth). Same thing happened during the day today. Supposed to be in 70s tomorrow and just about 70 Saturday.

Edited by Wacka

8 hours ago, Wacka said:

Right by Lake Erie it was cloudy but dry today. Was 82 at  8 AM. The front that brought tornados to Wisconsin  didn't hit  Buffalo.The lake (~60 degrees)caused the storms to die down over the water and they didn't reform their power until maybe about 40 miles or so inland (near Letchworth). Same thing happened during the day today. Supposed to be in 70s tomorrow and just about 70 Saturday.

Yeah, big nothing burger. Not that I'm complaining mind you. It is getting to the point where we need rain so I was hoping to see some yesterday, to no avail. 

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

Yeah, big nothing burger. Not that I'm complaining mind you. It is getting to the point where we need rain so I was hoping to see some yesterday, to no avail. 

Ditto.

MothersMilk
On 6/16/2022 at 9:52 AM, Ann said:

You all stay safe and dry! 

How'd that 99 degree's feel today? 2nd hottest place in the state today... Tallahassee hit 102

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MothersMilk said:

How'd that 99 degree's feel today? 2nd hottest place in the state today... Tallahassee hit 102

99? that would be cool. It has been over 100 nearly every day for two weeks… (no idea what the weatherman has been recording). However, we’ve been in North Carolina since Sunday (89 was cool!) and are now in Georgia where it is upper 90s. I cannot wait to go home. I am sure it will be even hotter and more humid. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

I've often joked with people from the midwest through the south when they start giving me shit about Alaska/WNY winters:  "You have 3 months when you can't go outside too...it's just June, July, and August instead of December, January, and February."

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

I've often joked with people from the midwest through the south when they start giving me shit about Alaska/WNY winters:  "You have 3 months when you can't go outside too...it's just June, July, and August instead of December, January, and February."

I have mentioned to many people since we have been down here when I get the “hot enough for you?” that all areas have at six crappy months of weather. Not one person has disagreed.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
4 minutes ago, Ann said:

I have mentioned to many people since we have been down here when I get the “hot enough for you?” that all areas have at six crappy months of weather. Not one person has disagreed.

Unless you're pretty much on the equator.  Then it's just all the critters that can kill that keep you inside with the doors locked.  Like this MFer right here:

Golden Frog.jpg

• Wow 1