Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Eichel Trade

NCBillsFan

40 minutes ago, NCBillsFan said:

Apparently the 2023 draft pick coming back is actually a 2nd rounder, not a 3rd.

The 1st round pick is apparently top 10 protected.  Meaning if Vegas' pick ends up in the top 10 after the draft lottery then the Sabres get Vegas' 2023 1st rounder with no conditions attached.

The Sabres are reported to have not retained any of Eichel's salary.

Probably about the best trade package they could muster given all the circumstances.  Still not convinced they needed to run another rebuild.

Oh, and it appears that Andrew Peters actually got the story 1st.  He was off on the draft picks a smidgen, but so was everybody else.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

I tuned out of this Eichel drama long ago, but I feel the rift went far beyond the surgery disagreement.  The sabres would have found a way, any way, to iron that situation out with a player of Eichel's caliber if it was the sole issue. There almost certainly was off the ice baggage that we'll likely never know about that made moving on from an elite center the best way forward for the team.

Hopefully Adams can catch a little Beane magic with Krebs and the 1st.

Glad it's over.

• Like 2

Hooray!

Good bye, Jack. Enjoy the glitz.

We get a big body with lots of playoff experience and a good prospect.
I hope the Knights suck this year and that 1st is top ten.

Hockey writers list Peterka as 65th-best NHL prospect, and Jack Quinn as 38th and fans want them called up from Rochester soon (Owen Power is 10).  Krebs is 17th!

Edit: after reading Taro’s post, I’m rooting for Vegas to suck this year AND next.

Edit 2: here’s the hickey writers article. https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

Edited by snafu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alaska Darin said:

Boy, I was kinda hoping for that Calgary trade but at least there are good NHL players who can fit right in now.

Agreed.

I’m just happy it is completed.

14 minutes ago, NCBillsFan said:

I tuned out of this Eichel drama long ago, but I feel the rift went far beyond the surgery disagreement.  The sabres would have found a way, any way, to iron that situation out with a player of Eichel's caliber if it was the sole issue. There almost certainly was off the ice baggage that we'll likely never know about that made moving on from an elite center the best way forward for the team.

Hopefully Adams can catch a little Beane magic with Krebs and the 1st.

Glad it's over.

There was definitely something Adams didn't like prior to the neck injury.  Whether he was right to want him gone is yet to be determined.

5 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Boy, I was kinda hoping for that Calgary trade but at least there are good NHL players who can fit right in now.

Well, Krebs will be playing as soon as he can catch up with the team either tonight or Saturday.  But Tuch is bringing as much as Eichel did for the next 3-4 months as his shoulder heals up.

• Like 1

Just saw that if the top 10 draft pick protection on the Vegas 1st comes into effect, then all 3 draft picks in the trade slide back a year.  The 1st goes to 2023 and is unprotected and the draft pick swap happens in 2024.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GG1 said:

We need Crayonz @4merper4mer to chime in, but my hunch is that our Nostradamus was probably closer to the truth when he commented on Eichel holding up the Coors lite at 17. 

At this point I think the trade makes sense for all involved.  Let’s just say I’m not rooting against Eichel getting some things straightened out but..,.I think he has some things to straighten out and Calgary would have given him better odds of doing so than moving to Vegas.  Color me surprised that he actually wanted that surgery and it wasn’t a ploy.

According to KA, Tuch says it is a "dream come true" to be playing for the Sabres.  He was a Sabres fan growing up.

Check the box for wanting to be here for him.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

Found on one of our "political" sites

Is Jack Eichel Brave or Crazy?

826705f9-0806-4b14-9084-7e66f4531eff-450

Professional athletes are by dint of their line of work forever walking a high wire. When your livelihood depends on your body being in peak condition, you, of course, will carefully monitor anything going into it, be it food or nutritional supplements or medicines or a surgeon’s scalpel. Yet, at the same time, they risk their health every time they participate in an event, especially if theirs is a contact sport. Injuries are not a matter of if to athletes, but rather when, how severe, and what will I need to do to overcome the injury and get back out there. This leads to the case of former Buffalo Sabres, now Vegas Golden Knights center Jack Eichel.

Eichel is one of hockey’s legitimate superstars, a center who can not only make plays with the best of them but finish the job. In his six years playing (he has yet to enter a game this year for reasons we’ll go into in a bit), Eichel has produced at a near point a game clip, with 139 goals and 216 assists in 375 games. This stat is even more impressive considering how dreadful Buffalo has been the past several years. The team last made the playoffs in 2011 and has not finished a season at .500 or above since 2013. That’s bad.

Last season, in March Eichel suffered a herniated disc in his neck and played in only 21 games for the Sabres. He would need surgery to repair the damage. At this point, things became, shall we say, complicated.

When a player suffers a significant injury in the NHL, the final decision on a treatment method belongs not to the player but the team. The Sabres wanted Eichel to have neck fusion surgery. Eichel wanted disc replacement surgery. Buffalo was uninterested in having its star player be the first in league history to have said surgery and said no. Neither side would move. Eichel wanted out so he could go to a team that would agree to the surgery he wanted. The Sabres, after letting ill will between all parties involved grow to epic proportions, eventually gave in and sent Eichel to the Golden Knights, who in turn sent Buffalo two players and two draft picks with the Sabres, for their part, parting with a draft pick of their own. Eichel received a typical Vegas welcome and had his surgery, with his return to the ice expected in three months.