Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo vs New York Jets : Week 10 Game Week Thread

Ann

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

here it is friday and I'm just catching my breath after getting the wind knocked out of me scoring only 6 points, thanks to tyler bass, and losing to a 1-6 jags team 6-9.  

never, ever underestimate an opponent in the nfl. any given sunday was tattooed all over jacksonville last sunday. 

mental game. as much as physical is a must in a game like football, mental game goes above and beyond physical when you let an opponent or a single player in your head. you're toast, in most cases, you're toast.

as was in the case of josh allen vs josh allen and the wrong josh won the mental game as well as the physical game.

ICWBXACAY5SEQC4S7QUWKE3O2I.jpg

JA needs to work and work hard on his mental game. there wont be a josh allen on the other side of the ball sunday but he and the offense need to bounce back in a big way and most times going up against the lowly jets you think about the sweep yet also know it's a division game so, anything goes

this week it's anything goes with a question in the back of ones mind, will they dominate, will JA continue to struggle?

13jets-1-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

can't call it. frankly, I haven't the confidence I once had like most fans and the media early on had and it really started out the gate against the steelers at home. then the last two games, especially last week, took the air out. they opened the season with a loss. a conference loss. now sitting at 3 conference losses so they can't afford to lose anymore if they want to get back to the afcc game.

b5696da5-74d5-4190-b475-529ff79bacd7-lar

there is still some football to be had, they can go on a good run if they turn things around starting sunday at the jets then the colts at home next week followed by our first division game against a pats team that could give the bills some competition for the division crown?

starting-quarterback-trent-edwards-of-th

it was the mental game that ended or at least changed the direction trent edwards career was going after that hit in arizona, he was never the same after that even though he went on as a back up he was an example of how important mental toughness is in the nfl and how it can have a negative impact on your game.

AP21311709795612.jpg?w=2383&h=1440&crop=

I'm not by any means saying that type of impact will come close to the the game that impacted edwards career or even have a real negative affect on JA's game going forward but he needs to prove he can play tough mentally and not let a player or team in his head like he let josh allen in his head last week, big time. a sack, int and a fumble recovery all in one game? 

5230dab384994f129034e8bc77591fe2.jpg

that had to get in to his head so I'm looking to see how he bounces back starting this week and really anticipating his next chance against allen and the jags. which likely wont be this season but maybe next? seems we play them every year.

g8gv5inpxj5dknjo3ujl.jpg

JA has shown signs of becoming a great player but he has also shown he still needs work and if he can get his mental game in line with his physical game, who knows, they may end up being that sb contender so many felt they were coming in to 2021?

The suggestion that Trent Edwards career was ever going anywhere is simply ridiculous.  He was terrible.  This legend about the Cardinals game is way off.  The rest of your post is valid but relying on that comparison is unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Core Four said:

If Frazier modifies what he does to suit Klein's strengths, I think we'll be fine.  If you try to make Klein play an Edmunds role, yeah, that would be bad. 

You think it will make that much of a difference?  I personally feel that Edmunds is not a difference maker, at least not in the role Frazier has him playing.

In all fairness, I don't know what to expect. I did read that Klein will be fine as long as they don't try to drop him into coverage, but in the end, it comes down to one thing for me: a lot of Bills fans need a whipping boy. Edmunds has been that dude.

Since I'm an admitted blind homer who knows there is literally nothing I can to do change the roster, I tire easily of people who feel the need to piss all over a professional athlete while they sit at home eating garbage plates while convincing themselves the team would be improved if only they were the GM.

My takes will be more obvious to you the more you post here, which I hope is often. So far you've provided some solid, unemotional takes, and they're appreciated.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

In all fairness, I don't know what to expect. I did read that Klein will be fine as long as they don't try to drop him into coverage, but in the end, it comes down to one thing for me: a lot of Bills fans need a whipping boy. Edmunds has been that dude.

Since I'm an admitted blind homer who knows there is literally nothing I can to do change the roster, I tire easily of people who feel the need to piss all over a professional athlete while they sit at home eating garbage plates while convincing themselves the team would be improved if only they were the GM.

My takes will be more obvious to you the more you post here, which I hope is often. So far you've provided some solid, unemotional takes, and they're appreciated.

Thanks, appreciate it; I'll contribute where I can.  There seems to be an even keeled group on this site, unlike another board with arm chair GMs eating garbage plates, that know everything about pro football.  That sentence was hysterical, btw, still laughing at that line.

Edmunds has potential and is certainly an athlete, though I question if Frazier is using him to where he is most effective.  It kind of seems like Edmunds is overwhelmed at the Mike position.  Doubt McD and Frazier try him elsewhere unless Edmunds becomes a FA due to wanting a premium contract that Beane will hopefully not pay.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Edmunds has potential and is certainly an athlete, though I question if Frazier is using him to where he is most effective.  It kind of seems like Edmunds is overwhelmed at the Mike position.  Doubt McD and Frazier try him elsewhere unless Edmunds becomes a FA due to wanting a premium contract that Beane will hopefully not pay.

I'd say that the majority of the board agrees with this take.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The suggestion that Trent Edwards career was ever going anywhere is simply ridiculous.  He was terrible.  This legend about the Cardinals game is way off.  The rest of your post is valid but relying on that comparison is unnecessary.

But his gloves were really nice.

12 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Not by me. Ed Oliver otoh...

13 hours ago, GG1 said:

I'd say that the majority of the board agrees with this take.

which, obviously, the Bills brain trust does not agree with

it's a passing league

Edmunds is key to the zone they want to play because of his range and length

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

it's a passing league

Someones got to be of the minority,

Might as well be me... ;  )

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GG1 said:

Moss clears protocol, will be available for Sunday. 

Which RB sits?

I'll be curious as to whether the force of McDermott's 'lack of ability to run' comments takes them down the road of scheme and line play or sitting someone to bring in Breida. I assume it's the former, but we'll see.

Edited by IDBillzFan
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

it's a passing league

I'm sure that McD and Frazier don't agree with my take above, and I eluded as much.

Edmunds is a polarizing topic and a 'whipping boy' to some is because of expectations for the position.

I understand his role is primarily pass defense as it is a pass first league.  Given that, Edmunds has 1 INT on the season (which came in the Texans game), 0 FF, and 0 sacks.  Frazier hasn't really used Edmunds as a blitzer, from what I can see, so I'm not too focused on sacks.  But the INT and FF numbers should be higher given his role.  He drops too many potential INTs and given the amount of contact he has with the runner, generates no FF.  You need more big plays from a MLB than what Edmunds is providing.

Another point is Edmunds instincts, or lack there of.  I've noticed him bite on misdirections way too often which takes him out of the play, causing the DBs to make the tackle resulting in a significant yardage gain.  I've also seen where Edmunds whiffs of tackles that he needs to make, such as Tannehill's 5 yard keep up the middle resulting in a Tenn TD.  As you said, it is a pass first league, but that doesn't mean you completely ignore the run, especially if you want to beat teams with a more balanced offense like Tenn and Cleveland.

It seems Edmunds, as well as the Bills' defensive scheme in general, struggle to defend both in the same game.  Perhaps Edmunds is not being used to suit his strengths, though I don't expect a change due to McD and his coordinators perceived mindset that their scheme > player abilities; that is a coaching philosophy error which is a shame because Edmunds might really flourish in a simpler role, such as a OLB.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Core Four said:

I'm sure that McD and Frazier don't agree with my take above, and I eluded as much.

Edmunds is a polarizing topic and a 'whipping boy' to some is because of expectations for the position.

I understand his role is primarily pass defense as it is a pass first league.  Given that, Edmunds has 1 INT on the season (which came in the Texans game), 0 FF, and 0 sacks.  Frazier hasn't really used Edmunds as a blitzer, from what I can see, so I'm not too focused on sacks.  But the INT and FF numbers should be higher given his role.  He drops too many potential INTs and given the amount of contact he has with the runner, generates no FF.  You need more big plays from a MLB than what Edmunds is providing.

Another point is Edmunds instincts, or lack there of.  I've noticed him bite on misdirections way too often which takes him out of the play, causing the DBs to make the tackle resulting in a significant yardage gain.  I've also seen where Edmunds whiffs of tackles that he needs to make, such as Tannehill's 5 yard keep up the middle resulting in a Tenn TD.  As you said, it is a pass first league, but that doesn't mean you completely ignore the run, especially if you want to beat teams with a more balanced offense like Tenn and Cleveland.

It seems Edmunds, as well as the Bills' defensive scheme in general, struggle to defend both in the same game.  Perhaps Edmunds is not being used to suit his strengths, though I don't expect a change due to McD and his coordinators perceived mindset that their scheme > player abilities; that is a coaching philosophy error which is a shame because Edmunds might really flourish in a simpler role, such as a OLB.

In the league of 32 teams where does the Bills defense currently rank?  Points allowed?

Who calls the plays on D?

When White signed his big contract he cited as one of the big reasons his confidence in playing behind one player in particular?  Who was that player?  Do you think Tre White is a bullshitter?  Do you think he knows anything about football?

Who are the defensive captains for the Bills?  Do the Bills strike you as a group that elect their captains on a whim or do you think they take it seriously?

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

In the league of 32 teams where does the Bills defense currently rank?  Points allowed?

Who calls the plays on D?

When White signed his big contract he cited as one of the big reasons his confidence in playing behind one player in particular?  Who was that player?  Do you think Tre White is a bullshitter?  Do you think he knows anything about football?

Who are the defensive captains for the Bills?  Do the Bills strike you as a group that elect their captains on a whim or do you think they take it seriously?

Lots of questions, no coherent thoughts or arguments.  

--> In the league of 32 teams where does the Bills defense currently rank?  Points allowed? 

And?  What does this have to do with my argument that more is needed from Edmunds?  These are questions that someone who cares more about stats asks.  I suspect those are heavily padded by the lopsided wins against Miami and Houston.  In the first game, Miami was awful just like Houston was awful.  So how about the Tennessee game...the defense gave up 34 points, not insignificant, plus they were leading at halftime.  Bills were also leading at halftime against the Steelers in week 1; I know, the offense was the issue in that game, but the defense collapsed in the second half.  The defense gave up 23 points (Steelers) and 17 points (Titans) in the second half.  Also, McD was forced to go for the first down in 4th and 1 vs Titans rather than kicking an automatic FG and tieing the game.  Why, because his defense couldn't stop a runny nose in the second half.  Is this indicative of a leading defense?  No, it is not.  The defense has definite flaws, so don't pretend that they're the second coming of the 2000 Ravens defense.  Quit getting so wrapped up in stats and try watching and understanding what you're watching.

--> Who calls the plays on D?

Who cares?  What does that matter?  Someone else can call plays.  Not like Edmunds is the only player who can do this.

--> When White signed his big contract he cited as one of the big reasons his confidence in playing behind one player in particular?  Who was that player?  Do you think Tre White is a bullshitter?  Do you think he knows anything about football?

What does any of this matter?  White was paid as a top five CB, which is what he wanted.  And where did I EVER say that White was a BSer and/or knows nothing about football?  I'm glad White likes Edmunds; maybe they are BFFs and knit quilts together on Tuesdays.  Who cares?

--> Who are the defensive captains for the Bills?  Do the Bills strike you as a group that elect their captains on a whim or do you think they take it seriously?

Again, so what?  This is the same inane question as "who calls the plays of D."  I have no idea how the team decides who the captains are, and neither do you.  In the end, what does it matter?  Someone else can be captain.  You seem to imply that I want Edmunds gone.  Not necessarily, though I do want Frazier to try and use him in a different capacity.