Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

So yeah, the Bills have an RB problem

Beer__League__Hockey

Beer__League__Hockey

I was going to put this in the Feast thread, but I'm interested in what others are thinking WRT the run game. 

I've been done with Singletary for the majority of this season.  He is ineffectual in the run game, not a good pass receiver (on a pass happy team, how is that possible?) and has problems just putting his head down when needed (just too little/light of a dude to do that).  While he can make a man miss, the conditions have to be perfect - turf not grass, no precip, and decent blocking other than one free tackler.  NFL level defenders show that they are typically up to the task of hanging with Motor, and while they might not make the first tackle, they are able to hold up his progress enough to allow the D to rally to the ball.

Moss is probably the best pass receiving RB we have, and isn't afraid of creating holes/yards by using his skull.  His speed is decent but elusiveness is subpar, so what you get is a between the tackles runner.  His NFL ceiling is being a 2nd option though.  Problem is we don't have a 1st option.

Breida is treated as a gadget by this coaching staff, similar to McKenzie.  I'm not sure why, his body of work was a bit more substantial with SF.  I'd be willing to give him the 2nd option reps, but I'm not sure how he'd hold up if he's touching the ball 15-20 times a game.

I'm of the opinion of sitting Singletary, and going Moss/Breida at this point.  Not a perm change, but at least for the next game or two.  And Breida did ok on STs, so that can free up a spot elsewhere on the gameday roster.

Long term, the Bills need to come up with a functional running game.  Probably not figuring that out this year.  They need to limit JA's running to scrambles & occasional designed runs - this kind of QB investment needs to be protected.  I'm not advocating for a bell cow RB, but probably a combo of a new RB to replace Singletary, better guard play, and potentially a scheme change back to zone run blocking to create those cutback lanes.  Moss & Breida can run that way; Singletary is not that kind of back.

Beer__League__Hockey
17 minutes ago, Ann said:

If speed kills, wouldn't it be Singletary/Breida, not Moss/Breida?

You would think, but Singletary don't use his speed until he makes a few cuts.  He'd have to change his running style.

37 minutes ago, Ann said:

If speed kills, wouldn't it be Singletary/Breida, not Moss/Breida?

Moss/Breida gives you thunder & lightning.  Motor/Breida gives you mediocrity as we saw in the first game, because neither can get the tough 1-2 yards.

• Like 1

I'm more in the camp of the O-line blocking/scheme needing to be tweaked.

Of course, there are so many different aspects to the running game that it is hard for me to really say though. Would a more patient runner work better with what our O-line/scheme does or do we need someone with better vision? I know most running plays are designed to hit a certain 'hole' and if your line isn't opening those holes, it is a problem for just about any back.

• Like 1

I think the primary issue with our run game is the O line, which I'm sure will get attention from McD and Beane this offseason.

Taking the running back position by itself, I'm with the OP where the best combination we currently have is Moss/Breida.  Moss and Singletary are more similar than dissimilar, with Moss being slightly the better back.  Moss has better vision and is a better blocker as well as pass catcher.  This offseason, if I were Beane, I would look to trade Singletary for whatever I could get; it won't be much as Singletary isn't any better than a second option, as pointed out in the OP.  I'd then look for a back more in the mold of Derrick Henry....at least as close as possible and if that can be found.

On a slightly related note, Daboll really seems to like Singletary, at least through the eyeball test.  Not sure why that is.

• Like 1

I hate watching Moss take handoffs.  Because the line doesn't run block particularly well, we need a basher that can make holes and he's just not very effective at that.  It seems to me like he's trying to decide whether to find a hole or make a hole and it messes up the effort.  But that's my completely untrained eye.

Singletary is more effective, but not by much, and that's not saying much.

Edited by snafu