Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

.22 Caliber — is it stupid and useless

The_Dude

I’m an AR guy for many, many reasons. 

I have ARs chambered in 5.56, and 300 AAC. 

I also have a .22 bolt insert for my AR and I’ve got about 3000, .22 rounds. 

im almost if the mind that an air rifle with pellets is better than .22. 

Some contend that .22 is great in a bad situation because you can carry a lot of it. While that’s true — I promise you do NOT want to get into a gunfight with a .22. 

But, .22 is great for small game….but so is an air rifle. 

Other thank plinking I’m not really sure why .22 exists. That’s honestly the only good thing I can say about .22 — it’s good for plinking and small game. But if you’re a prepped like me, do you really need that if you surmise you can use an air rifle to replace your .22?

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

I’m an AR guy for many, many reasons. 

I have ARs chambered in 5.56, and 300 AAC. 

I also have a .22 bolt insert for my AR and I’ve got about 3000, .22 rounds. 

im almost if the mind that an air rifle with pellets is better than .22. 

Some contend that .22 is great in a bad situation because you can carry a lot of it. While that’s true — I promise you do NOT want to get into a gunfight with a .22. 

But, .22 is great for small game….but so is an air rifle. 

Other thank plinking I’m not really sure why .22 exists. That’s honestly the only good thing I can say about .22 — it’s good for plinking and small game. But if you’re a prepped like me, do you really need that if you surmise you can use an air rifle to replace your .22?

The 22 predates most other modern rifles by decades.  Mainly intended for hunting game but also used in self defense instances.  Stores stocked ammo for it so convenience was a huge consideration as to a 22 being in quite a number of rural homes, garages, and barns.  Trying to compare a 22 with a modern rifle is like comparing a Model A Ford to a Ford Mustang.  Back in the day both the 22 and the Model A had their place in American living and could serve again today if called upon.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, devnull said:

Good for small game hunting and target practice

22 can kill an adult human, but I wouldn't trust it as a self defense round

Great for rabbit hunting for sure... keeps them intact. Pheasants too, no lead pellets to unexpectedly chomp on. I know a guy back in WNY who took a deer down with a .22 rifle, hit it a couple of inches behind the eye and it went right down. I'm actually a fan of the .22... a small caliber that can for sure do some damage. I'm no prepper though.

1 hour ago, MothersMilk said:

I know a guy back in WNY who took a deer down with a .22 rifle, hit it a couple of inches behind the eye and it went right down

Reminds me of a video I watched of a hunter that killed a wild boar with a 50 cal even tho he missed.

His GoPro caught the bullet passing just over the boars head.  And at that moment blood started out of the boars eyes and nose.

Pressure wave burst blood vessels in its brain

• Wow 2

13 hours ago, devnull said:

Reminds me of a video I watched of a hunter that killed a wild boar with a 50 cal even tho he missed.

His GoPro caught the bullet passing just over the boars head.  And at that moment blood started out of the boars eyes and nose.

What in the actual FU&^ is THAT?!?! That's crazy.

Well, I’ll say this — my AR, .22 bolt insert sucks. Prly better off getting a bolt action one just to toss in the safe.  Still, DO NOT bring .22 to a gun fight. Huge mistake. 

In addition to small game and plinking they’re good for teaching children to shoot. while it wouldn’t be my first choice for a self defense round, if it’s all you have it’s better than nothing and there’s folks out there that a .22lr is all they have or all they can use competently or both, so I wouldn’t say they’re completely useless for that application either.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

In addition to small game and plinking they’re good for teaching children to shoot. while it wouldn’t be my first choice for a self defense round, if it’s all you have it’s better than nothing and there’s folks out there that a .22lr is all they have or all they can use competently or both, so I wouldn’t say they’re completely useless for that application either.

In most cases since it was around to hunt game it was handy to shoot at intruders considering most people owned not much else besides a shot gun.  Never intended to be a primary weapon when it came to self defense.  

On 11/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, devnull said:

It's called The Horseshoe Game. 

On 11/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, The_Dude said:

Well, I’ll say this — my AR, .22 bolt insert sucks. Prly better off getting a bolt action one just to toss in the safe.  Still, DO NOT bring .22 to a gun fight. Huge mistake. 

I know a lot of competitive high power shooters that get a dedicated .22 upper for the winter months to practice indoors.  Every bit as accurate as my bolt action Anschutz target rifle.

Edited by bdutton

• 3 weeks later...
The Guy In Pants

I own a plethora of fire arms. Not going to really divulge any more than that. When it comes to caliber; its a "right tool for the right job" kind of thing for me. I have a few .22 caliber rifles. Their usage is mainly small game hunting. A well placed round is a well placed round regardless of caliber it was or the manufacturer it came from.

Anyway; my two cents worth is that it is not a useless caliber and everyone should have one .22 caliber tool.

• Cheers 2

If anyone has watched Joe Pickett he's a game warden that still carries a .22 rifle.

That single shot with pull back pin was my first gun as well. As depicted on the show - very safe and they didn't kick. 

• Like 1