Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Offense is the problem

Dubs

I can’t believe how many people I’m reading and hearing blaming this on the defense. The defense was fine. Outside of one bad play, they held the Pats to 3.5 yards per carry. 

The Offense was terrible. Without a fluke turnover on the punt and a questionable PF, they could have been shutout. 

I don’t know where the blame lies, Daboll, the line, Allen, the RBs, Dawson Drops, whatever. It’s all terrible and this disappointing season is entirely on them. 

• Like 2

I don’t think Josh was bad considering the weather conditions and the drops.

Something is off with the offense this year. @Sig1Hunter suggested in The aftermath thread that a lack of plays to Beasley hurts. Have to agree. Last year, he was the guy making the clutch play to move the chains. Why’d they stop? And as much as I like Emmanuel Sanders, I like Gabe Davis more.

• Like 3

If the Bills get a TD at any point, it changes the entire game. 

drops, forcing the run when it’s clearly not going to work, refusing to spread the field and let Allen take off against the man defense, not using Beasley, it’s all confounding. 

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants

I don't want to pretend that I'm someone who studies the game of football; but like many of you, I have played and watched enough to know what I see when I see it. Lets be completely honest; it doesn't take Dr. Fauci with a vial of covid infected cream of wheat to figure it out. The way I see it; the Buffalo Bills have 3 problems. Zero of which is Josh Allen.

I will start with the easy one. Perhaps I am a little jaded because I was hoping he got his head coaching job and would have been out of Buffalo by now. Brian Daboll is a problem. If he stays in Buffalo, he needs to get his fat ass out of the box and back on the field. Put down the &#%$ing jelly filled donut and interact with your offense on the sideline, in person. Talking to them in between bites over a headset is pure bullshit.

"Well, I can see so much better from up here." - No you can't, chunks. Obviously you can't see a &#%$ing thing. The announcers see it. Hell; some of them have called a better game than you have. We all see it. "First and goal from the seven. Buffalo needs to score here. No one is playing Knox in the flat. They have a wide open chance......oop. Nevermind. Moss up the middle for a loss of one. Not sure if continually asking the O'line to do something that they haven't been able to do in two years and sending Moss into 6 defenders with a combined weight of 1,563 pounds was a good idea. Second and goal."

That leads me to my next issue with the Bills. The O line. What is there to say outside of what I mentioned above. Nothing. We don't have an o line. We have small gate in which defenders need only to simply hop over to gain access to our yard and steal our shit. 

The running backs. With a combined height of 6'1; we qualify as the team with the lollipop guild RB stable. Which, ironically, is almost the same amount of rushing yards they can put up together any given week. We don't have a yellow brick road, or even a lollipop. Brian Daboll finished those off week 3. Someone needs to drop a house, with a playbook, at midfield. Put a sign outside that says "free food" and entice the gentleman inside. It's not simply Moss, Singletary or Breida who are the problem. Each of them could find some success behind an o line that could block and a playbook that asked them to do more than run straight into an oncoming train. But; we don't have a running game anyone takes seriously outside of Josh Allen. That's a problem. 

We have been outcoached in all 5 of our loses. Sean McDermott bounces around the field like his hair is on fire but that's where his passion seemingly stops. As evident in his presser when he answered the Daboll question. I understand you don't want to throw someone under the buss like that but; a simple "NO" would have told everyone what they needed to know. 

The defense does what they can do and outside of being scorched a few times on the ground; what else do people expect them to do? When the offense has back to back 3 and outs; an already winded unit comes back out to try again. 

What pisses me off the most about this entire &#%$ing debacle; is that we are watching the golden years of Josh Allen be wasted on "culture" and "process". We aren't winning championships with underdog stories. Bringing "Rudy" up from the practice squad for his big chance isn't going to take this team to the level they need to be to win consistently. The Bills that made the Super Bowl 4 years in a row; weren't underdog stories. They were juggernauts. The whole package (Which someone happened to leave in Buffalo 4 years in a row and forgot to pack for the trips). You get my point. They could run, they could throw. The defense could rally. Marv Levy let everyone know when they &#%$ed up. Culture and process are great words to use in the locker room or trying to sell Mary Kay. Leadership on the field and promoting accountability in both public and private on top of talent acquisition is what builds winning organizations.

That was an embarrassment last night. A bigger embarrassment than the loss to the Jaguars. It was pathetic. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants
  • Like 7

The Guy In Pants
5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Typical answer there. Saying something without saying anything

Exactly. I am surprised he didn't use "culture" or "process".

Defense was not the problem:

Pats Drives: 

Punt 
Punt

TD

FG

Punt

Punt

Punt

FG

Punt

End Game

46 Rushes

222 Yards

4.8 ypc

Adjusted for kneel downs and taking out the one long run:

42 rushes

166 yards

3.9 ypc

Defense was NOT the problem. Forcing six punts, only three scoring drives (2 which were FGs). 

•  
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

"First and goal from the seven. Buffalo needs to score here. No one is playing Knox in the flat. They have a wide open chance......oop. Nevermind. Moss up the middle for a loss of one.

Good post TGIP. But to be fair here, that should be on Josh to check out of the run and call the hot route to Dawson there.

• Like 1

I agree that, while the Defense did &#%$ up a few times last night, the offense lost the game.

Specifically, I think the problems last night boil down to:

1.) OC

2.) OL

3.) RBs

4.) Tyler Bass' stupid eye black.

In that order.

Daboll, I think, isn't a bad coordinator. However, I think that he sucks at drawing up a running game, sucks at run blocking schemes, and far too often outsmarts himself trying to go for cute playcalling instead of going with what is working.

The OL is good at pass blocking, much like last year. They still suck at run blocking. Whether that's a scheme thing or a player thing, I'm not sure.

The RBs just aren't good enough. Granted, they are done no favors by bad playcalling and bad blocking. However, they far too often just run into the backs of their blockers instead of finding holes.

Tyler Bass has stupid eyeblack.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
6 minutes ago, Koko said:

I agree that, while the Defense did &#%$ up a few times last night, the offense lost the game.

1.) OC

2.) OL

3.) RBs

In that order.

Daboll, I think, isn't a bad coordinator. However, I think that he sucks at drawing up a running game, sucks at run blocking schemes, and far too often outsmarts himself trying to go for cute playcalling instead of going with what is working.

The OL is good at pass blocking, much like last year. They still suck at run blocking. Whether that's a scheme thing or a player thing, I'm not sure.

The RBs just aren't good enough. Granted, they are done no favors by bad playcalling and bad blocking. However, they far too often just run into the backs of their blockers instead of finding holes.

The OL's run blocking just sucks.  Some runs yesterday it looked more like they were pass blocking.

I thought that was a feature, last season, where they were focusing on protecting Allen, and expected them to work this season on improving run blocking.  Clearly, that expectation was incorrect.  This line needs at least one, and preferably two more big maulers like Brown in run blocking.

• Like 1

The Guy In Pants
2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Good post TGIP. But to be fair here, that should be on Josh to check out of the run and call the hot route to Dawson there.

Yeah; you're right. Don't know what the hell we were doing last night. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Joe said:

Typical answer there. Saying something without saying anything

I take the clip as McD criticizing Daboll without directly doing so.  I think McD is very frustrated with Daboll, who I think will be fired after the season.

• Wow 1

33 minutes ago, Koko said:

1.) OC

2.) OL

3.) RBs

In that order.

Except they're not good at pass blocking this year.  Josh is usually running for his life. 

The line has regressed at both pass and run blocking.  They were good at pass blocking last year and 'meh' at run blocking, but it was serviceable.  I think that is why Beane and McD chose to leave the OLine in tact, for the most part.  They figured the OLine as a whole would be better this year.  No one could have seen Dawkins, Feliciano, and Williams regress, which are all big problems.  They were somewhat helped with Spencer Brown developing, but he's still a rookie and makes rookie mistakes as to be expected.

Our RBs lack size and vision, but I think a better OLine and run and run blocking scheme on Daboll's part would do wonders.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

At this point, he better start running more if they want to win.

• Like 1