Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Buffalo vs Tampa: Week 14 Game Week Thread

Ann

Crap Throwing Clavin
48 minutes ago, Core Four said:

They can, but would only be saving a $4.2M difference between his 2022 cap hit of $9.35M and his dead cap of $5.1M.  Star will probably be here next year, but not the year after.  In 2023, Star has an almost $9M cap hit and $0 dead cap.  The salary cut and covid exemption extended him another year.  I believe he is largely just skating by and collecting a check.

Star is a bad signing done when they desperately needed someone at 1TDT, though we're still in that same position.  To make things worse, he was overpaid when acquired in 2018, which I believe as a FA was projected at $4M AAV.  Check this out: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/cash-earnings/

Taken as a whole, Bean's FA acquisitions leave a lot to be desired and Star is just one example of that.  His pro personnel and contracts depts are not very good.

His FA acquisitions at skill positions have been pretty good.  It's his acquisition of players on both sides of the line that seems to be lacking.

43 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

His FA acquisitions at skill positions have been pretty good.  It's his acquisition of players on both sides of the line that seems to be lacking.

You look at Stefon Diggs and can draw that conclusion.  I think you forget about:

Frank Gore

Tyler Kroft

Corey Coleman (cut before the season and incurred $3.5M cap hit)

Kelvin Benjamin

Vonte Davis (DB who retired at half time).

No, his skill position FA's leave a lot to be desired.

2 minutes ago, Core Four said:

You look at Stefon Diggs and can draw that conclusion.  I think you forget about:

Frank Gore

Tyler Kroft

Corey Coleman (cut before the season and incurred $3.5M cap hit)

Kelvin Benjamin

Vonte Davis (DB who retired at half time).

No, his skill position FA's leave a lot to be desired.

These were when we were mostly all ATOP. I will say most of the fans were pissing their pants with excitement over most of these players. I guess the fans dont know what they are talking about either right?

16 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

These were when we were mostly all ATOP. I will say most of the fans were pissing their pants with excitement over most of these players. I guess the fans dont know what they are talking about either right?

I wasn't part of those conversations, so I can't say one way or the other if fans were pissing their pants with excitement regarding the acquisitions I listed. 

Me, personally, I was fairly ambivalent to those signings, including Chris Ivory who was a decent stop gap.  I was happy with getting Cole Beasley as well as Stefon Diggs.  I was 'meh' on Emmanuel Sanders who I didn't think had a lot left in the tank.  He has made some contributions, though at the detriment of an emerging Gabe Davis.

Fantastic FA acquisitions include:

Diggs

Beasley

Poyer

Hyde

I don't really know the answer but... how many other teams have four starters on their team that are FA acquisitions?

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Fantastic FA acquisitions include:

Diggs

Beasley

Poyer

Hyde

I don't really know the answer but... how many other teams have four starters on their team that are FA acquisitions?

Yeah, I'm not sure.  One would have to spend the time to look that up.  Diggs and Beasley were low risk, they knew what they were getting.  Where Beane falls painfully short is where Whaley and Manos excelled - finding diamonds in the rough, such as Hughes.

I think Poyer and Hyde were brought in by McD and predate Beane's tenure as GM.

4 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Yeah, I'm not sure.  One would have to spend the time to look that up.  Diggs and Beasley were low risk, they knew what they were getting.  Where Beane falls painfully short is where Whaley and Manos excelled - finding diamonds in the rough, such as Hughes.

Was Hughes a FA acquisition? I thought we traded Sheppard for him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Core Four said:

They can, but would only be saving a $4.2M difference between his 2022 cap hit of $9.35M and his dead cap of $5.1M.  Star will probably be here next year, but not the year after.  In 2023, Star has an almost $9M cap hit and $0 dead cap.  The salary cut and covid exemption extended him another year.  I believe he is largely just skating by and collecting a check.

Star is a bad signing done when they desperately needed someone at 1TDT, though we're still in that same position.  To make things worse, he was overpaid when acquired in 2018, which I believe as a FA was projected at $4M AAV.  Check this out: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/star-lotulelei-12294/cash-earnings/

Taken as a whole, Bean's FA acquisitions leave a lot to be desired and Star is just one example of that.  His pro personnel and contracts depts are not very good.

Not so fast...   depending on his toe boo boo, his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed in the event of injury

• Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, Core Four said:

10 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Yes, he was a trade. he was also NOT a diamond in a rough. He was well known as a up and coming player. 

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

You are correct.  Hughes wasn't working out in Indy and they seemed to lose patience with his development.

https://www.nfl.com/news/indianapolis-colts-trade-jerry-hughes-to-buffalo-bills-0ap1000000165264

Both players are "linebackers," but they have far different stories. Hughes was drafted in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Colts to be an edge pass rusher; he was one of former general manager Bill Polian's worst picks in Indianapolis, totaling just 41 tackles and five sacks in three seasons. Sheppard was a third-round pick by the Bills in 2011. He started in 24 games over the last two years as an inside linebacker.

2 hours ago, GG1 said:

Not so fast...   depending on his toe boo boo, his 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed in the event of injury

What, is it going to morph into turf toe?  I suppose I wouldn't be surprised.  That caused Ray Lewis to retire as well as Jack Lambert.

2 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

Yes, he was a trade. he was also NOT a diamond in a rough. He was well known as a up and coming player. 

I wouldn't exactly call Hughes an up and coming player, Indy was frustrated with his development.  Hughes was a 1st round pick in 2010, but didn't develop like they hoped he would.  I linked an article from 2013 two posts above.

Crap Throwing Clavin
55 minutes ago, Core Four said:

You are correct.  Hughes wasn't working out in Indy and they seemed to lose patience with his development.

https://www.nfl.com/news/indianapolis-colts-trade-jerry-hughes-to-buffalo-bills-0ap1000000165264

Both players are "linebackers," but they have far different stories. Hughes was drafted in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Colts to be an edge pass rusher; he was one of former general manager Bill Polian's worst picks in Indianapolis, totaling just 41 tackles and five sacks in three seasons. Sheppard was a third-round pick by the Bills in 2011. He started in 24 games over the last two years as an inside linebacker.

My favorite part of that article is reading that the Jets revived Aaron Maybin's career.  

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

My favorite part of that article is reading that the Jets revived Aaron Maybin's career.  

Maybin did nothing on the Jets.  What a joke.

7 hours ago, Core Four said:

Maybin did nothing on the Jets.  What a joke.

The punchline would be, since he did nothing with the Bills, what was there to revive.

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Jackson said:

The punchline would be, since he did nothing with the Bills, what was there to revive.

Well done action Jackson, lol

I feel good about the game today. Weather looks great!

Its bounce back week!

Go Bills !!!!

• Like 4