Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Moving from the PS to the 53 Justin Zimmer

Fansince88

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/04/26/2016-nfl-draft-big-board-final-defensive-line-rankings/

Jon Ledyard's pre-draft write up

30. Justin Zimmer, Ferris State – 6th/7th Round

Justin ZimmerZimmer just beat the daylights out of opposing offensive linemen in college with his sheer power, which was evidenced by his ridiculous 44 reps on the bench press during his pro day. Zimmer is a good enough athlete to translate to the NFL, but I’m not exactly sure where he’ll play just yet. He’s a 110-percenter who will make noise in camp and push everyone around him to be better.

• Like 1
  • FANtastic 1

Someone had an article today he was really the only defensive player that flashed vs KC, and more importantly another team wanted to sign him to their 53. Bills had to move to 53, or lose him

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

transplantbillsfan

I've seen the YouTube video of Zimmer getting blown up... but there's also this...

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2020/10/source-bills-add-justin-zimmer-to-53-man-roster-after-another-team-attempts-to-sign-dt.html?outputType=amp

Source: Bills add Justin Zimmer to 53-man roster after another team attempts to sign DT

https://theathletic.com/2154752/2020/10/22/bills-chiefs-tremaine-edmunds?source=user-shared-article

Zimmer and the Bills were at their best when he lined up at one-technique. He played almost exclusively with Butler, outside of a few third-down passing plays when Mario Addison slid inside into a stand-up, three-technique position. On ten designed runs against the Butler-Zimmer pairing, the Bills allowed only 1.6 yards per carry for a total of 16 yards. Five of those ten attempts went for zero or negative yards and seven were for negative-4. Zimmer took 20 snaps at one-technique compared to nine at three-technique. When the Bills flipped Zimmer to three-technique and Butler to one-technique, the results were more in line with the rest of the game, with them allowing 27 yards on four carries (6.8 yards per carry). Zimmer held the point of attack as the one-technique and must have a spot in the lineup for as long as he keeps this up.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, GG1 said:

And what's wrong with the Justin Zimmer thread 8 rows down?

47 minutes ago, Walter Buffalo said:

The invasion of the LAMP and redundant thread starters has begun in here.

Hit the moderator button to have the threads merged. It would be helpful if the thread people thinks it should be merged into was also linked in the mod alert.

5 minutes ago, Ann said:

Hit the moderator button to have the threads merged. It would be helpful if the thread people thinks it should be merged into was also linked in the mod alert.

You mean the "Report" button?

• Like 1

Walter Buffalo
9 minutes ago, Ann said:

Thanks. Its inevitable social forums eventually become a free for all.

Just want to savor the subtleness while it lasts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LB3 said:

I'm not the most technical fan, but he looked like our best D lineman against KC 

Unfortunately that isn't saying much. I agree, he looked better than Oliver. I remember Bean signing some DL last year during the season. Corey Lugiet (sp) and a couple others. This DL is drastically under performing. Something needs to be done, I don't think adding Zimmer is going to solve anything.

21 minutes ago, Westside said:

Unfortunately that isn't saying much. I agree, he looked better than Oliver. I remember Bean signing some DL last year during the season. Corey Lugiet (sp) and a couple others. This DL is drastically under performing. Something needs to be done, I don't think adding Zimmer is going to solve anything.

I agree we need more, but I actually thought he looked good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LB3 said:

From Joe B's player grades...some interesting analysis. ( edit..i am an idiot, did not see @transplantbillsfanposted same stuff!)

#1) Ed played almost 1 tech the whole game...remember that is where he played his last year in college, and everyone univesally agreed he was a better 3...

) Justin Zimmer is a revelation

Against the Chiefs, the Bills did find something that works on defense. That is the pairing of Justin Zimmer and Vernon Butler and Zimmer’s ability to dominate at times during the game. When you see an interior player make a couple of flashy plays during a broadcast, it is often deceiving. Zimmer was the exception Monday night.

Zimmer and the Bills were at their best when he lined up at one-technique. He played almost exclusively with Butler, outside of a few third-down passing plays when Mario Addison slid inside into a stand-up, three-technique position. On ten designed runs against the Butler-Zimmer pairing, the Bills allowed only 1.6 yards per carry for a total of 16 yards. Five of those ten attempts went for zero or negative yards and seven were for negative-4. Zimmer took 20 snaps at one-technique compared to nine at three-technique. When the Bills flipped Zimmer to three-technique and Butler to one-technique, the results were more in line with the rest of the game, with them allowing 27 yards on four carries

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, LB3 said:

He did make some good plays. I agree. I'm kinda bummed to lose Spain for him though.