Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

John Madden RIP '36-'21

Foxx

RIP :classic_sad:

And a prediction.  John Madden will grace the cover of Madden 23.  EA will then retire the Madden franchise and rebrand it as EA NFL 24 / EA NFL 25 / etc / ...

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, devnull said:

RIP :classic_sad:

And a prediction.  John Madden will grace the cover of Madden 23.  EA will then retire the Madden franchise and rebrand it as EA NFL 24 / EA NFL 25 / etc / ...

I think you're right about Madden 23.  But I think they keep the name the same in his honor afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

RIP John Madden.  A truly legendary coach and broadcaster.  I grew up listening to his broadcasts along with Pat Summerall.  Madden really liked the trenches and couldn't get enough of Joe Jacoby, the 'Hogs', and Dave Butz.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I think you're right about Madden 23.  But I think they keep the name the same in his honor afterwards.

I think you're wrong about EA caring enough about John Madden to honor him in perpetuity.

Madden retired from broadcasting like 15 years ago.  There's a generation pf NFL fans who only know of Madden from the game.

This is an opportunity for EA and the NFL to rebrand, and they'll do so under the guise of honoring Madden

47 minutes ago, Core Four said:

RIP John Madden.  A truly legendary coach and broadcaster.  I grew up listening to his broadcasts along with Pat Summerall.  Madden really liked the trenches and couldn't get enough of Joe Jacoby, the 'Hogs', and Dave Butz.

For some reason I remember him saying the name Nate Newton like a thousand times.

• Like 1

DaBillsFanSince1973

R.I.P. Mr. Madden. you left your mark on nfl football and without your presence, it would of never been the same.

even though as a kid I was a bills fan my stepfather was a die hard raiders fan and I remember having to watch the raiders as the head of household was in charge of the tv on sundays. you, the snake, casper and biletnikoff to name a few were players I got to know well. then you went on to be one of the greatest and most remembered analyst calling the games on sunday.

sad day, indeed.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MothersMilk said:

For some reason I remember him saying the name Nate Newton like a thousand times.

There was a documentary on John shown Christmas day and Nate was featured. For anyone that didn't see it, it aired on Fox Sports and can likely be found on demand or streamed.   Worth the 90 minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I think they keep the name for as long as they perceive the incremental sales it drives exceeds the royalties paid to his estate.

• Like 1

Said this on another board, but he pretty much revolutionized the was color commentary was done & also was a part of revolutionizing sports video games.

Larger than life indeed.

May he RIP.

But, his passing does make 1 wonder.  Is there a bus to heaven?  Can't see him wanting to fly to get there.  Maybe he'd rather hang out w/ the rest of the Raiders?  Either way, again, may he RIP.

• Like 1