Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Bills Playoff Matchup Scenarios

Dubs

There's a LOT of scenarios that are in play next week.  Using the ESPN Playoff Machine...

The highest I can get them is the number 2 seed if:

- Buffalo beats NYJ

- Denver beats KC

- Cleveland beats Cincinatti

They can actually still finish in the last playoff spot if:

- NYJ beat Buffalo

- NE beats Miami

- Indy beats Jacksonville

My favorite, realistic scenario right now is (assuming Chiefs and Titans win):

- Bills beat NYJ

- Cleveland beats Cincy

- Las Vegas beats Los Angeles

Bills end up as the 3 seed and play Las Vegas, Indy gets a shot to knock off KC and NE gets a shot to knock off Cincy.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ann said:

You think Cleveland is gonna beat Cincinnati? :classic_dry:

I don't think they will, but I think it's possible.

I just checked the line on CBS Sports, Cleveland is actually a 3 point favorite at this point.

Edited by Dubs

3 minutes ago, Dubs said:

I just checked the line on CBS Sports, Cleveland is actually a 3 point favorite at this point.

I was baffled when I saw that. Those teams are going in opposite directions at the moment.

1 minute ago, Ann said:

I was baffled when I saw that. Those teams are going in opposite directions at the moment.

My only guess would be that since Cincy locked up the division they are most likely looking at the 3 or 4 seed, which isn't a real big difference either way, so they might rest some players.  That's all I got.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dubs said:

My only guess would be that since Cincy locked up the division they are most likely looking at the 3 or 4 seed, which isn't a real big difference either way, so they might rest some players.  That's all I got.

That's probably why.

I got Round III of Patriots*/Bills and Round III of Chargers/Chiefs with Colts/Bengals in a Battle of I74

In the NFC: Cardinals/Cowboys, Eagles/Bucs, Saints/Rams

• Like 1

The number 1 seed would be huge due to the bye, but it sounds like that’s off the table. The remaining seeds are about home field advantage. In most years, I’d say home field advantage would be huge. This year? The Patriots came to Buffalo, in terrible weather. The Patriots narrowly won the game due to having a better run offense and run defense than the Bills. Then the Bills go to Foxboro, and handily beat the Patriots due in large part to better weather opening up the passing game. I just don’t know how much we should want home field advantage. 

1 hour ago, Arm of Harm said:

The number 1 seed would be huge due to the bye, but it sounds like that’s off the table. The remaining seeds are about home field advantage. In most years, I’d say home field advantage would be huge. This year? The Patriots came to Buffalo, in terrible weather. The Patriots narrowly won the game due to having a better run offense and run defense than the Bills. Then the Bills go to Foxboro, and handily beat the Patriots due in large part to better weather opening up the passing game. I just don’t know how much we should want home field advantage. 

5-3 home, 5-3 away.

The interesting thing about NE? They are 6-1 away, 4-5 at home. That is just weird.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dubs said:

Cincy can still attain the number one seed if the Chiefs and Titans lose.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Cincy can still attain the number one seed if the Chiefs and Titans lose.

yep, that’s true. 

I guess what I was saying is that they might look at the chance that both the titans lose to the texans and the chiefs lose to the broncos in the same weekend as so small the bengals decide to use the week as a bye instead. 

6 hours ago, Dubs said:

There's a LOT of scenarios that are in play next week.  Using the ESPN Playoff Machine...

The highest I can get them is the number 2 seed if:

- Buffalo beats NYJ

- Denver beats KC

- Cleveland beats Cincinatti

They can actually still finish in the last playoff spot if:

- NYJ beat Buffalo

- NE beats Miami

My favorite, realistic scenario right now is (assuming Chiefs and Titans win):

- Bills beat NYJ

- Cleveland beats Cincy

- Las Vegas beats Los Angeles

Bills end up as the 3 seed and play Las Vegas, Indy gets a shot to knock off KC and NE gets a shot to knock off Cincy.

Drawing the Raiders would be a dream come true.  I don’t think Cleveland beating Cincy is that far fetched.

3 hours ago, Ann said:

5-3 home, 5-3 away.

The interesting thing about NE? They are 6-1 away, 4-5 at home. That is just weird.

The Bills are a cold weather team not built for cold weather. Several weeks ago most agreed that Allen, Knox, and the WRs were the strengths of the offense, while the RBs were a letdown and the offensive line was bad. I admit that Singletary and the OL have been playing better lately. If that becomes a pattern I’d feel a lot better about this team’s ability to win in cold and windy conditions. In the meantime part of me would almost prefer our playoff games to be away games, at locations and weather conditions where a good passing attack can thrive. 

On 1/3/2022 at 2:05 PM, Dubs said:

Reverse of that:

image.thumb.png.918540f1d598789022a82f5078426c34.png

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Reverse of that:

image.thumb.png.918540f1d598789022a82f5078426c34.png

Cleveland was a 3 point favorite yesterday when I wrote that. Significantly changed since the game last night huh?

43 minutes ago, Dubs said:

Cleveland was a 3 point favorite yesterday when I wrote that. Significantly changed since the game last night huh?

Cleveland will be watching the playoffs from Alice Cooper’s suite. 

• Haha 1