Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Official 'Other Games’ Thread - Week - 18

Foxx

19 minutes ago, devnull said:

With the uncertainty around Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield, coupled with what has already happened to Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, how great does it feel knowing that the only true franchise QB to come out of the much hyped 2018 class turned out to be Josh Allen

Sometimes I still don’t believe it.  After all, this is a franchise that spent top picks on CJ Spiller, Aaron Maybin and Donte Whitner.

In 2018 I wasn’t big on Mayfield or Jackson, but I thought Darnold was going to be better.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I can't wait till the 'r' word starts getting tossed around if the Ravens hesitate on that.  :classic_dry:

Well, I'd imagine the Ravens should avoid that by going with Huntley at QB.  Very similar to Lamar, only is a smarter QB and is more careful with the ball.

13 hours ago, Core Four said:

Well, I'd imagine the Ravens should avoid that by going with Huntley at QB.  Very similar to Lamar, only is a smarter QB and is more careful with the ball.

Oh, the narrative would still be there.  "They won't give him the big money because he's......"

Now that said, I fully expect Baltimore to pay him.  And yes, he is the one guy who can win a game almost by himself, but someone that inconsistent throwing the ball is going to have a hard time ever stringing together enough wins against good teams to get a title.

As for Cleveland, I think Faker comes back for year 5 under his existing contract.

• Cheers 1

Oh, the narrative would still be there.  "They won't give him the big money because he's......"

Now that said, I fully expect Baltimore to pay him.  And yes, he is the one guy who can win a game almost by himself, but someone that inconsistent throwing the ball is going to have a hard time ever stringing together enough wins against good teams to get a title.

As for Cleveland, I think Faker comes back for year 5 under his existing contract.

I think Baltimore gives Jackson a bigger contract than he should receive. They are set-up to win with him, he's dynamic, etc. I'd worry about his health, however. I'd also worry about how accurately he throws the football. He really needs to take a page from the Josh-Allen-QB book and get some help and guidance in that department.

Cleveland picked up Baker Mayfield's 5th year. It is $18.85M, very reasonable for a QB these days. If they think he's "the guy" they can also franchise tag him the year after. If they do not think he's the long term future, they could trade him (assuming a willing partner could be found). He has (IMO) underachieved in Cleveland with a stacked team.  While I feel for the Cleveland fans and this QB dilemma, I gotta say that I am extremely grateful it isn't the Buffalo Bills.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ann said:

Cleveland picked up Baker Mayfield's 5th year. It is $18.85M, very reasonable for a QB these days. If they think he's "the guy" they can also franchise tag him the year after. If they do not think he's the long term future, they could trade him (assuming a willing partner could be found). He has (IMO) underachieved in Cleveland with a stacked team.  While I feel for the Cleveland fans and this QB dilemma, I gotta say that I am extremely grateful it isn't the Buffalo Bills.

I doubt they franchise tag Mayfield.  My guess is Cleveland works out a longer term deal with him.

Cleveland's oline was not very good, I wouldn't pin their failure to get to the playoffs completely on Mayfield.  Could Mayfield be better?  Probably.  But we saw what happens when pass protection sucks; fortunately Josh is able to make up for it more than Baker can.

Yeah, Baltimore probably does pay Lamar, and it will be waaayy more than he deserves.  Lamar can win a game basically by himself, but he has as much chance of losing it due to his carelessness.  How many games has Lamar had to climb out of the hole he dug himself into with his int's staring down his primary read?  I wouldn't like this at all if I was John Harbaugh.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I doubt they franchise tag Mayfield.  My guess is Cleveland works out a longer term deal with him.

Cleveland's oline was not very good, I wouldn't pin their failure to get to the playoffs completely on Mayfield.  Could Mayfield be better?  Probably.  But we saw what happens when pass protection sucks; fortunately Josh is able to make up for it more than Baker can.

I agree you can't pin 2021 on Mayfield;  he's hurt, the line was a mess, COVID and other injuries, etc.

But he certainly didn't earn an extension and really needs to bounce back next season.

52 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I agree you can't pin 2021 on Mayfield;  he's hurt, the line was a mess, COVID and other injuries, etc.

But he certainly didn't earn an extension and really needs to bounce back next season.

When Baker was healthy last season, the Browns gave KC all they could handle in that playoff game. While I don’t think Mayfield is any more than the 12th best QB, if the Browns don’t have a plan B, then they’d be okay sticking with what they have. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, devnull said:

Good gawd, ESPN pregame is awful.  Granted Samantha Ponder is a tasty piece, but this is painful to watch.

What channel is it on? ABC or ESPN?

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, snafu said:

When Baker was healthy last season, the Browns gave KC all they could handle in that playoff game. While I don’t think Mayfield is any more than the 12th best QB, if the Browns don’t have a plan B, then they’d be okay sticking with what they have. 

The gave them all they could handle opening day this season as well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Core Four said:

If I were a Ravens fan, I would be fine with this.  The thought of giving Lamar a big contract would not sit well with me.

The Ravens probably pissed away their playoff chances.

If I were a Ravens fan, I'd be less grumpy about Lamar and MUCH more grumpy about the number of times they lost a game by going for two at the buzzer instead of the tie.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

13 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

If I were a Ravens fan, I'd be less grumpy about Lamar and MUCH more grumpy about the number of times they lost a game by going for two at the buzzer instead of the tie.

Yeah, that very well could be the difference with them most likely missing the playoffs.  Harbaugh doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but those were pretty bad.

I keep hearing about Fangio potentially being canned, but they are in a brutal division with Drew Lock and Bridgewater at QB.  Not sure what they expect out of the head coach, but every time I see Denver they are playing pretty well against a good team. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

I keep hearing about Fangio potentially being canned, but they are in a brutal division with Drew Lock and Bridgewater at QB.  Not sure what they expect out of the head coach, but every time I see Denver they are playing pretty well against a good team. 

Fangio isnt the “en vogue” type of coach right now…he’s old and conservative. Not the young stupid risk taking brandon staley style