Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Denver Fires Vic Fangio

Ann

That's too bad. You're right, I think he got a raw deal with who they have had at the QB position.

If one of the other vacancies happens to take Frazier, I would hope McBeane would consider Fangio. Seems he always has a top shelf D that is well rounded and pretty tough. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

That's too bad. You're right, I think he got a raw deal with who they have had at the QB position.

If one of the other vacancies happens to take Frazier, I would hope McBeane would consider Fangio. Seems he always has a top shelf D that is well rounded and pretty tough. 

What kind of defense does Fangio run vs McDermott/Frazier? 

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Primarily a 3-4 but his scheme is quite varied to include a 4-3 under. I could be wrong but I believe we have the personnel to do what he wants to do

There are some similarities to what Frazier is running, mostly being a cover 2 shell.  The biggest take aways for me is that Fangio is a little more aggressive with the dline and will tailor his scheme to his player's strengths, as well as a lot less nickel.  Frazier typically utilizes a contain and tries to collapse the pocket.  Under Fangio, I would expect the MLB to play closer to the LOS and not be utilized as a big safety; I could see Fangio's scheme being better to stop the run, where Frazier seems to de-emphasize that aspect and typically pays the price for that.  Am I wrong about this?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Core Four said:

There are some similarities to what Frazier is running, mostly being a cover 2 shell.  The biggest take aways for me is that Fangio is a little more aggressive with the dline and will tailor his scheme to his player's strengths, as well as a lot less nickel.  Frazier typically utilizes a contain and tries to collapse the pocket.  Under Fangio, I would expect the MLB to play closer to the LOS and not be utilized as a big safety; I could see Fangio's scheme being better to stop the run, where Frazier seems to de-emphasize that aspect and typically pays the price for that.  Am I wrong about this?

I believe you are correct for the most part. Both like to use mainly the Dline to provide pressure, with Fangio utilizing his 4-3 Under to utilize the fourth rusher. Very little blitzing from either. And as you point out, Fangio likes his MLB to play closer to the line than Frazier does. To compensate, Fangio brings one of his safeties down to cover the portion of the middle that Edmunds would normally cover. He trusts his corners to take up the slack over the top.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Foxx said:

I believe you are correct for the most part. Both like to use mainly the Dline to provide pressure, with Fangio utilizing his 4-3 Under to utilize the fourth rusher. Very little blitzing from either. And as you point out, Fangio likes his MLB to play closer to the line than Frazier does. To compensate, Fangio brings one of his safeties down to cover the portion of the middle that Edmunds would normally cover. He trusts his corners to take up the slack over the top.

Right, neither like to blitz and rely on rushing four.  The biggest difference is Frazier uses the dline in a u-shaped vice grip type fashion (best analogy I could think of) where Fangio will stunt and twist to penetrate gaps.  It looks like Fangio uses the LBs in run stopping (though a safety can be utilized to stop the rusher in the case of an open gap), where Frazier seems to uses the LBs to fill gaps and relies more on the nickel DB and/or a safety in rush defense.

I do think Fangio's scheme will be better in run defense, there would most likely be less 160 yard rushing, 40-burger games that seem to plague Frazier every year.  I do not recall seeing if Fangio utilizes zone or man coverage, though I could assume it would be opponent based.  Under Fangio, Edmunds' job could be a lot easier if he stayed at MLB.  Not sure if Fangio would move Edmunds outside, though I could see him staying at the Mike initially.

• Cheers 1