Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hollywoke -- A thread for Tinseltown's Tailspin into Televangelism

Deranged Rhino

13 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The strike of 2007 was a disaster for the middle and lower class of writers, and it literally destroyed the feature film business as we had come to know it. Ever wonder why every movie is a reboot, a sequel, or a Marvel movie? Thank the 2007 strike and the subsequent restructuring to their economic models the studios did in the aftermath. The upper crust of writers and producers got security and a slice of the streaming pie - but none of that trickled down. And in fact from 2007-20013, there wasn't a single (major) studio movie or show made that wasn't written/created by someone who wasn't a working writer prior to the '07 strike. Meaning for almost a full decade the industry insulated itself from new ideas, voices, and talent. It also gutted the middle class movie, made it extinct, and paved the way for studios to focus solely on existing IP rather than risking millions on unknown and original properties. This in turn forced thousands of writers to turn from the dying feature film market and into TV and streaming which was just trying to find its legs.

I have frequently wondered. Thank you for the explanation.

14 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Which is going to eventually cause problems Hollywood isn't even considering yet. The article hits on the notion that showrunners are being forced to run rooms with writers they don't even trust -- that's only half the problem. It's not only that these writers are unproven, it's that many are unskilled and unable to deliver a proper story/script on time. So many shows are hitting scheduling problems because the writing staffs are slowing down the pipeline. That costs tons of dough, lessens the quality of the programming produced, and makes audiences less likely to watch... which brings us to the biggest looming problem that no one in this town is talking about, because it scares them to death. Namely, that by stocking the pond with firebrands and revolutionaries (which is what a lot of these younger types are), and mandating only certain stories can be told, Hollywood is once again setting up the snake up to eat its own tale. Audiences by and large don't want to be preached to. They never have - yet now, by mandate and decree, every story, every episode, every show, every movie has to preach woke. 

And it's starting to hit their bottom lines.

People can learn to deliver a proper script, however - assuming someone takes the time to teach them before they get fired. But, that doesn't mean those people are capable of new/good/better ideas and stories.

After reading that article, it seems to me what happened to comedy is going to happen in Hollywood. People too afraid to open their mouths at the risk of offending someone, especially someone with power over their jobs.  It is going to make for even less entertaining "entertainment."

• Like 2

Breaking ranks is going to be not only a risky proposition, but one that has to be properly timed.

Break too soon and you will be canceled. Break at the right time and you will probably become richer than your wildest dreams and forever be remembered as a pioneer who said, 'damn the torpedo's.'. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

@Deranged Rhino

Thanks for the article and your description. I read the article first, and thought: why doesn’t someone capitalize on this phenomenon?  Seems ripe for a good on-screen story. An old school, ‘70’s-style character development story. It could be told from any number of perspectives. It could be told about your industry, or any other number of industries as a metaphor.

I also thought: art imitates life.  Art shouldn’t craft life. I don’t think Hollywood gets that anymore.

• Like 3

Thanks DR;  that's probably the most informative thing I've ever read about Hollywood.

I used to look at the movie listings periodically to see if anything looked interesting.  I stopped doing that several years ago.  While there is still the occasional interesting picture, once you get past the lame remakes and superhero crap, there isn't much to choose from.  It's probably been 4-5 years since I went to a theater for a movie.

As for TV, there is soooo much content it's pretty easy to ignore anything that doesn't immediately grab you and keep you entertained (eg., Succession).  Also there is a ton of documentary stuff that is fairly brief and easy to get through quickly so not much investment required.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Thanks DR;  that's probably the most informative thing I've ever read about Hollywood.

I used to look at the movie listings periodically to see if anything looked interesting.  I stopped doing that several years ago.  While there is still the occasional interesting picture, once you get past the lame remakes and superhero crap, there isn't much to choose from.  It's probably been 4-5 years since I went to a theater for a movie.

As for TV, there is soooo much content it's pretty easy to ignore anything that doesn't immediately grab you and keep you entertained (eg., Succession).  Also there is a ton of documentary stuff that is fairly brief and easy to get through quickly so not much investment required.

Can't recall what the last non-Marvel/ Star Wars movie we saw in the theater was.  Probably Skyfall.  (Which is essentially in the same area code if not genre.)  Expect that last one before that would've been a children's movie.  (And our kids are adults now.)

Absolutely can't recall the last OTA network show we watched during the season it came out that wasn't "reality based."  Probably forgetting something, but it could be "My Name is Earl."

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Deranged Rhino

‘China Has Ghosted Hollywood’: How the Fallout Will Affect the Film Industry

Wall Street Journal reporter Erich Schwartzel's new book "Red Carpet" offers a timely look at increased tensions between two dominant forces in the movie business

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/china-hollywood-film-industry-tensions-red-carpet-book-1235173819

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

‘China Has Ghosted Hollywood’: How the Fallout Will Affect the Film Industry

Wall Street Journal reporter Erich Schwartzel's new book "Red Carpet" offers a timely look at increased tensions between two dominant forces in the movie business

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/china-hollywood-film-industry-tensions-red-carpet-book-1235173819

They NEVER should have tried to appease China. Never, ever, ever.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Deranged Rhino
Just now, Ann said:

They NEVER should have tried to appease China. Never, ever, ever.

Let alone built their entire business model around it.

• Like 3

This is just crazy. I had no idea that AFTER they finished shooting the remake of Red Dawn, the studio went back and changed the enemy from China to North Korea.

• Like 3

Deranged Rhino
4 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

This is just crazy. I had no idea that AFTER they finished shooting the remake of Red Dawn, the studio went back and changed the enemy from China to North Korea.

Oh man, there are so many stories like that it's crazier than you even think.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Oh man, there are so many stories like that it's crazier than you even think.

I always wondered how The Great Wall got made with Dafoe and Damon.

That was such a &#%$ed-up movie, it really felt like a Chinese studio casting American actors to pander to an American audience.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Notice how CNN doesn't start reporting on this until they are no longer under the umbrella of ATT/Time Warner?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, devnull said:

Notice how CNN doesn't start reporting on this until they are no longer under the umbrella of ATT/Time Warner?

News isn't what you hear, it's what the editorial staff decides you hear.

• Like 2

PODCAST: FROM HOLLYWEIRD TO HOLLYWOKE—‘VIRTUE BOMBS’ WITH CHRISTIAN TOTO

Screen-Shot-2022-02-11-at-9.03.46-AM.png

Hollywood has been liberal to far-left for decades, but in recent years it has become fully Hollywoke. Christian Toto, proprietor of the invaluable Hollywood-in-Toto website, is out with a new book surveying the wreckage of Hollywokeness: Virtue Bombs: How Hollywood Got Woke and Lost Its Soul.

I come to the conclusion that wokeism in Hollywood is arguably worse than wokism on the university campus, because it is much less transparent. While Hollywood makes endless movies about the supposed terror of the McCarthy-era “blacklist,” today’s Hollywood blacklisting against anything not fully woke is much more widespread and insidious.

We do look for some glimmers of hope, from new independent film production efforts from our friends at the Daily Wire and other enterprises, to rumblings in the Hollywood underground that some studio executives may be starting to get a clue that their relentless wokeness is bad for business.

Christian also has an excellent podcast of his own, Right on Hollywood, but of course listen to this one first! Which you can do right here, or wander over to the screening room at Ricochet. (And if you listen to the very end, you’ll get some custom Ghostbusters content.)

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2022/02/podcast-from-hollyweird-to-hollywoke-virtue-bombs-with-christian-toto.php

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 1/14/2022 at 9:13 PM, KD in CA said:

I agree with all of the above except I think some of the superhero stuff has been ok….at least marginally entertaining.  The documentaries have been pretty good.  Some of the pseudo-docs….like one I just watched called Dopesick….have also been good and at times relevant.

@Deranged Rhino what I am left wondering is how talking hamster movies and shows would fail to instantly solve this shit and start to get everything back on track.  Cute and non-threatening at first then they get some attitude.  A rodent version of a Trojan horse for the industry.  Do it.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

@Deranged Rhino what I am left wondering is how talking hamster movies and shows would fail to instantly solve this shit and start to get everything back on track.  Cute and non-threatening at first then they get some attitude.  A rodent version of a Trojan horse for the industry.  Do it.

The studios are reluctant to support hamster movies in the era of #metoo. 

Too many potential Richard Gere lawsuits

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...