Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Hollywoke -- A thread for Tinseltown's Tailspin into Televangelism

Deranged Rhino

Crap Throwing Clavin
33 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

It's difficult to express how much this makes me smile.

Not the first time Cumberbatch played the "magic gay" role.  And probably the least annoying of the two.  The Imitation Game was an insult to Alan Turing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Not the first time Cumberbatch played the "magic gay" role.  And probably the least annoying of the two.  The Imitation Game was an insult to Alan Turing.

Three. Don't forget Doctor Strange. It may not have been a gay role, but it was a gay effin' movie.

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Three. Don't forget Doctor Strange. It may not have been a gay role, but it was a gay effin' movie.

b46c5f4654689f16406da47df4fad1c3.jpg

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Let me guess, you're upset that Tilda Swinton was cast in the part of an old Asian male character.  You're one of those people.  I knew it!

• Haha 2

On 3/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, Fansince88 said:

Come on! Not Dr Strange

On 3/1/2022 at 5:48 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Let me guess, you're upset that Tilda Swinton was cast in the part of an old Asian male character.  You're one of those people.  I knew it!

I know I'm in the minority here, but Dr. Strange was just a stupid effin' movie. I think part of it was the ridiculous plot and part of it was Cumberbatch, who just looked like a General Zod from Superman 2 after a day at the spa. He was never, ever convincing in that role.

Plus, I can't take the overkill. We're really supposed to believe that when the shit hits the fan, we're going to throw in some of the Guardians of the Galaxy cast to fight with...Ant Man?

Sweet Moses, that's some stupid shit.

And for the record, Guardians of the Galaxy was, far and away, the best of them all.

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
12 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but Dr. Strange was just a stupid effin' movie. I think part of it was the ridiculous plot and part of it was Cumberbatch, who just looked like a General Zod from Superman 2 after a day at the spa. He was never, ever convincing in that role.

Plus, I can't take the overkill. We're really supposed to believe that when the shit hits the fan, we're going to throw in some of the Guardians of the Galaxy cast to fight with...Ant Man?

And for the record, Guardians of the Galaxy was, far and away, the best of them all.

God damn it...I liked Dr. Strange, but "General Zod after a day at the spa" probably just ruined it for me.  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 6

26 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

GOTG was fantastic.
I loved the first two Captain America movies.
Really liked Dr Strange and it will be the only Marvel I will go back to the show for (along with GOTG) as long as they don't &#%$ with it too much.

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
43 minutes ago, Ann said:

GOTG was fantastic.
I loved the first two Captain America movies.
Really liked Dr Strange and it will be the only Marvel I will go back to the show for (along with GOTG) as long as they don't &#%$ with it too much.

Winter Soldier is my favorite of all the MCU stuff so far. 

Shocking, I know. 

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Winter Soldier is my favorite of all the MCU stuff so far. 

Shocking, I know. 

For me, it still the original Iron Man, and the first Avengers, which was Joss Whedon at his absolute best.

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
Just now, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

For me, it still the original Iron Man, and the first Avengers, which was Joss Whedon at his absolute best.

Those two were absolutely fantastic. I've liked more of the MCU than I've disliked. Spider-Man was always my favorite super hero, and that trilogy is pretty great too. But when there's one movie whose plot revolves around Paperclip and a secret infiltration of nefarious ne'er-do-wells inside our own government, it's as if it were made just for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

The first Iron Man was great precisely why Dr. Strange sucked.

Downey was COMPLETELY convincing in that role. His transformation worked. Granted, he will never be better than he was in Chaplin, but he crushed it in Iron Man, even with Gwyneth Paltrow by his side, which usually earns you demerits if it's not Shakespeare in Love.

I'll even grant you that I thoroughly enjoyed Avengers, if for no other reason than because of (as I've said before) the first Scarlett Johannsen scene with Coulson. The drawback there was Cobie Smulders. She was never going to be anyone to me other than Robin Scherbatsky. Hell, even Coulson made the leap from "New Christine." Smulders not so much.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, IDBillzFan said:

It's difficult to express how much this makes me smile.

I watched this on Netflix without knowing what it was.

Well, I found it what it was.

It was bad.  Really bad.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Crap Throwing Clavin
7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yikes. 

So much to unpack in this story.

I know.  There's some serious weirdness in it.  "The true stories my based-on-a-true-story fiction are based on are fiction" is a relatively convoluted petard to be hoisted on.

• Like 1

Deranged Rhino
13 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

There was a hilarious story going around during the pandemic about a show I can't name, but is one I'm sure most people would know the name of. A writer, who's a combat veteran, got staffed on a procedural sometime around 2017. The co-EP on the show (basically the #2 writer on the show) was a female who boasted an impressive military resume that got her the show in the first place. She claimed to be a captain in the USMC who served multiple tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, winning several commendations and medals for her efforts. 

This new writer starts off in the room, and they're doing an episode involving some Afghani/Tali group. The other writers are relying on the Co-EP to help get the facts right. They're peppering her with questions about equipment and she's firing off answers -- that are just batshit crazy to this new writer who's literally just a year removed from the battlefield. But he keeps his mouth shut, because she was a captain and he wasn't. She must know more than he does. 

This goes on for a few more weeks, with this woman becoming more and more obviously a fraud. But what is this guy going to do? He's a newbie writer on a big show, he doesn't want to rock the boat. So he calls his friend who works at the Pentagon to see if he can find anything about her service record. 

Of course, it didn't exist. She made it up from top to bottom. 

Then the story got even funnier from there. He wrote up a long twitter thread about it I'm trying to find, but so far haven't been able to track down. I'll repost when I find it.  

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like 2

Deranged Rhino
3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

There was a hilarious story going around during the pandemic about a show I can't name, but is one I'm sure most people would know the name of. A writer, who's a combat veteran, got staffed on a procedural sometime around 2017. The co-EP on the show (basically the #2 writer on the show) was a female who boasted an impressive military resume that got her the show in the first place. She claimed to be a captain in the USMC who served multiple tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, winning several commendations and medals for her efforts. 

This new writer starts off in the room, and they're doing an episode involving some Afghani/Tali group. The other writers are relying on the Co-EP to help get the facts right. They're peppering her with questions about equipment and she's firing off answers -- that are just batshit crazy to this new writer who's literally just a year removed from the battlefield. But he keeps his mouth shut, because she was a captain and he wasn't. She must know more than he does. 

This goes on for a few more weeks, with this woman becoming more and more obviously a fraud. But what is this guy going to do? He's a newbie writer on a big show, he doesn't want to rock the boat. So he calls his friend who works at the Pentagon to see if he can find anything about her service record. 

Of course, it didn't exist. She made it up from top to bottom. 

Then the story got even funnier from there. He wrote up a long twitter thread about it I'm trying to find, but so far haven't been able to track down. I'll repost when I find it.  

Found it. Enjoy :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Found it. Enjoy :lol: 

First of all, if you ever hear anyone call themselves a "former" Marine, immediately call bullshit.  

Secondly...that's a hell of a winning Identity Bingo card. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2