Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Football trading cards/Panini

ABR

I haven't bought a football card in probably 15 years. I'm interested in starting a new addiction.

Does anyone have any recent experience or any knowledge/advice to share for me?

Entering with a small amount of background knowledge. If I understand correctly, Panini is the only company who makes new cards these days.

I like the idea of opening packs/sets/boxes. Not real interested in buying packs to sit on them unopened. I like the excitement of the unknown!

• Like 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
23 hours ago, ABR said:

I haven't bought a football card in probably 15 years. I'm interested in starting a new addiction.

Does anyone have any recent experience or any knowledge/advice to share for me?

Entering with a small amount of background knowledge. If I understand correctly, Panini is the only company who makes new cards these days.

I like the idea of opening packs/sets/boxes. Not real interested in buying packs to sit on them unopened. I like the excitement of the unknown!

Hello sir! You’ve come to the right place!

I own a sports card shop, and have been involved with the hobby for more than 35 years.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you have!

• Applause 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker 2.0 said:

Hello sir! You’ve come to the right place!

I own a sports card shop, and have been involved with the hobby for more than 35 years.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you have!

Wow. That's incredible. You're practically my hero. 

I've been trying to read a lot on the topic for the past two days lol. A crash course of sorts. 

Many packs seem to have like six cards in them yet they have a sticker price anywhere from $300-$1000. 

Some, perhaps most that I've seen in my very brief research suggest buying packs is a nice way to gamble and lose. 

I've read several accounts of how "flippers" are ruining the collecting game these days.

I'm not looking to "flip", moreso just interested in buying packs, opening them, and hold on in the hopes they someday become valuable.

I have a large collection from when I was a kid, been meaning to go through them one of these days... Not even a clue as to what I have but I'd imagine it's nothing that's too valuable. 

Either way, I love sports, football and basketball in particular and would enjoy the thrill of collecting some memorabilia. Maybe I'll land some of my favorites, maybe I'll eventually decide to strictly pursue those individual cards instead, but for now I think I just want to get back involved in buying sports cards here and there. 

They say I'm an adult now, but really I'm still a kid who thinks cards are just as cool as when I was younger, only now I can drive myself to the store, or order online 😃

Wow get to the point!

1. Are there any boxes/sets/packs that you'd recommend?

2. Is there a better time/window to buy? Ex. NFL Week 1? Christmas time? End of the year? Draft time?

3. Best to buy packs or better to buy who you like/think will hold value?

4. I like the idea of getting a decent amount of cards, but if there's very little upside to that pack due to poor quality or something, then I'm probably not as interested.

At the same time, I'm not looking to break the bank. I have other aspirations before truly going all in on my sports card hobby 😁

28 minutes ago, devnull said:

i don't know anything about trading cards, but I do enjoy an occasional panini

OCZwaWQ9QXBp

We've been debating getting a Paninni maker here.

1371602801621.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

TakeYouToTasker 2.0
On 1/20/2022 at 11:28 PM, ABR said:

Wow. That's incredible. You're practically my hero. 

I've been trying to read a lot on the topic for the past two days lol. A crash course of sorts. 

Many packs seem to have like six cards in them yet they have a sticker price anywhere from $300-$1000. 

Some, perhaps most that I've seen in my very brief research suggest buying packs is a nice way to gamble and lose. 

I've read several accounts of how "flippers" are ruining the collecting game these days.

I'm not looking to "flip", moreso just interested in buying packs, opening them, and hold on in the hopes they someday become valuable.

I have a large collection from when I was a kid, been meaning to go through them one of these days... Not even a clue as to what I have but I'd imagine it's nothing that's too valuable. 

Either way, I love sports, football and basketball in particular and would enjoy the thrill of collecting some memorabilia. Maybe I'll land some of my favorites, maybe I'll eventually decide to strictly pursue those individual cards instead, but for now I think I just want to get back involved in buying sports cards here and there. 

They say I'm an adult now, but really I'm still a kid who thinks cards are just as cool as when I was younger, only now I can drive myself to the store, or order online 😃

Wow get to the point!

1. Are there any boxes/sets/packs that you'd recommend?

2. Is there a better time/window to buy? Ex. NFL Week 1? Christmas time? End of the year? Draft time?

3. Best to buy packs or better to buy who you like/think will hold value?

4. I like the idea of getting a decent amount of cards, but if there's very little upside to that pack due to poor quality or something, then I'm probably not as interested.

At the same time, I'm not looking to break the bank. I have other aspirations before truly going all in on my sports card hobby 😁

Preparing a detailed response to this in the manner it deserves.

• Like 2
  • FANtastic 1

I love the advertisement that I see occasionally on the internet, of a "Rookie" baseball card for Tom Brady (who had been drafter by the MLB out of college)

The problem is he appears to be in his late 30's easily.

I don't think I will buy it.

• Haha 2

I now have more questions 😬 

Anyone have advice or a specific method to opening packs? Probably best right after enjoying some buffalo wings?

Or how about a storage method? Like a specific binder/case that will help protect them in damp areas such as a basement?

I've been out of the game for too long. But I'm pretty excited to be back!