• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ann

• Core Four

• Foxx

• IDBillzFan

On 2/14/2022 at 1:00 PM, Ann said:

I'd rather they had a ring...

So they don't change much this off season?

The Bills defense is good to very good, as long as the opponent doesn’t have a good running game or a good passing game. 

During the regular season the Bills faced two teams with good running games: the Titans and Colts. It only faced one franchise QB in the regular season, and that was when the Chiefs were in disarray. By the time the postseason arrived the Chiefs had gotten their act together to a degree, and completely shredded the Bills defense. Just like they did in last year’s postseason. 

If one’s goal is to pile up a bunch of regular season wins against mediocre offenses, only to get eliminated from the playoffs once you face a team with a real passing attack, the Bills defense will make you happy. But you’re unlikely to win a championship with a defense that’s unable to put up a decent fight against good offenses. 

3 hours ago, rocboysfootball said:

2022 NFL Mock Draft for the Bills. Some offseason talk as well. 

I'd love if Linderbaum falls to 25 and we pick him up.  Not sure why you get an OT in the 4th, wouldn't an OG be a better pick there?

The guy on the right was hung up on getting players to beat the Chiefs, which I get, but you also have to beat the Colts, Titans, Ravens, and Bengals, etc as well.  Each are going to be a different team requiring a different game plan.  This is where scheme flexibility matters and we're handicapped here with Frazier.  Get the best players you can and actually construct a plan that makes sense when you play these teams.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Core Four said:

I'd love if Linderbaum falls to 25 and we pick him up.  Not sure why you get an OT in the 4th, wouldn't an OG be a better pick there?

The guy on the right was hung up on getting players to beat the Chiefs, which I get, but you also have to beat the Colts, Titans, Ravens, and Bengals, etc as well.  Each are going to be a different team requiring a different game plan.  This is where scheme flexibility matters and we're handicapped here with Frazier.  Get the best players you can and actually construct a plan that makes sense when you play these teams.

I too would be very happy with Linderbaum at 25. 

It’s tempting to look only at what the offense did in the playoffs, and conclude it doesn’t need help. But it’s not as though the Patriots or the Chiefs have an elite defense. There were times when the offense went wrong in the regular season, such as its six point showing against Urban Meyer’s Jaguars team. When the offense went wrong problem #1 was consistently the offensive line. A guy like Linderbaum helps fix that problem. In addition, a Linderbaum pick would allow the Bills to cut the overpaid Mitch Morse, thereby freeing up cap space for other needs. 

I don’t know if you watched the video in its entirety, but the guys talked about moving that fourth round OT to OG. They said he was a little short to be an OT in the NFL. 

I don’t blame the guy on the right for being hung up on beating the Chiefs. If a player won’t help you against the Chiefs, you probably shouldn’t be using a second round pick on him. But if he will help you beat the Chiefs odds are he’ll help against the other teams you mentioned. Unless of course he’s an undersized pass rushing DL, in which case he probably wouldn’t help much against power running teams. 

As for being handicapped by Frazier and his scheme: I totally, 100% agree with that. The Bills recently hired some kind of defensive strategy advisor, so hopefully Frazier listens to him instead of doing more of the same against the Chiefs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arm of Harm said:

I don’t know if you watched the video in its entirety, but the guys talked about moving that fourth round OT to OG. They said he was a little short to be an OT in the NFL. 

I must have missed that part.  Makes sense, though it is not a 100% guarantee that an OT transitions to an OG.  Some eval work needs to be done by the college scouts on that, then run it past Kromer to see what he thinks.

I don’t blame the guy on the right for being hung up on beating the Chiefs. If a player won’t help you against the Chiefs, you probably shouldn’t be using a second round pick on him. But if he will help you beat the Chiefs odds are he’ll help against the other teams you mentioned. Unless of course he’s an undersized pass rushing DL, in which case he probably wouldn’t help much against power running teams. 

The point I was making was that you still have to beat Tennessee, Cincy, LAC, etc.  You can't just focus on one team.  I get that the Chiefs deserve a lot of attention, my point was get the best player available who will also be good against Tennessee.  Somewhere I heard this past season that the Bills were built to beat KC, can't remember where I heard it, but that is ridiculous.  Not only did they lose to KC, but Pitt, Tennessee, Indy, etc.  Any player will not be able to beat a poor game day plan.

As for being handicapped by Frazier and his scheme: I totally, 100% agree with that. The Bills recently hired some kind of defensive strategy advisor, so hopefully Frazier listens to him instead of doing more of the same against the Chiefs. 

I was not aware of that.  Why not just get a new DC and new scheme?  McD is way too loyal to a fault and I question his defensive acumen.

Edited by Core Four

9 hours ago, Core Four said:

I must have missed that part.  Makes sense, though it is not a 100% guarantee that an OT transitions to an OG.  Some eval work needs to be done by the college scouts on that, then run it past Kromer to see what he thinks.

The point I was making was that you still have to beat Tennessee, Cincy, LAC, etc.  You can't just focus on one team.  I get that the Chiefs deserve a lot of attention, my point was get the best player available who will also be good against Tennessee.  Somewhere I heard this past season that the Bills were built to beat KC, can't remember where I heard it, but that is ridiculous.  Not only did they lose to KC, but Pitt, Tennessee, Indy, etc.  Any player will not be able to beat a poor game day plan.

I was not aware of that.  Why not just get a new DC and new scheme?  McD is way too loyal to a fault and I question his defensive acumen.

The thing about the defensive strategist was something another poster had written on this site. I haven’t seen a link. However I did just spend the past 45 minutes looking for one, but without success. I first went to the Bills’ website. But at least at first glance it doesn’t seem to be usable as a source of Bills-related news. I then went to ATOP (news listings, not forum) and was deluged with news articles. None of which had anything to do with the defensive strategist. So, either the other poster was mistaken, or the hire isn’t getting much media attention. 

In looking for the defensive strategist article, I found a different article in which Sean Payton described the last 13 seconds of defensive coaching as “a crime.” https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/01/sean-payton-rips-bills-late-defense-vs-chiefs-everything-buffalo-did-defensively-is-flawed.html

Also an article in which Brandon Beane said that the first thing for the off-season is protecting Josh Allen. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-brandon-beane-on-offseason-roster-building-goal-first-thing-im-going-to-try-and-protect-josh-allen/

To address your other points: I agree you want to use your earlier draft picks on players who will help against both KC and Tennessee. If Beane has a high grade on Linderbaum, and if he’s there when the Bills’ pick comes up, there is a very realistic chance we take him. 

Jabba The Hutt
38 minutes ago, Ann said:

I could easily do the proposed trade even if it cost us Beasley because that should leave us enough ammo to still get Kupp. I thought about throwing in a ball or two of mine but not sure interested Carolina would be in those?:classic_love:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ann said:

This is interesting.  Beasley doesn't have much time left, maybe 2-3 years tops as he is 32.  Kirk is a lot younger and can fill the slot role, which he seemed to do in AZ.  Get rid of Beasley this year and save a net $6M in cap space.  Per Spotrac, Kirk's projected value is $11.8 AAV, which I would guess is a little high.  

Kirk's value on Spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/christian-kirk-25146/market-value/

Beasley's current contract on Spotrac: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cole-beasley-10318/

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ann said:

Well...

off.jpg.914696157c88df723dba89957ac17ef5.jpg

Man, that's kind of exciting.  He's a swiss army knife kinda guy - you can do so many things with him and he's a pretty explosive dude.

• Like 3