Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Change the OT Rules in the Playoffs?

Ann

30 minutes ago, Figster said:

I prefer keeping possessions equal.

For the first possession, yes.  After that, whoever scores first, wins.  The game has to end sometime, plus at this point the guys are spent, so that has to be taken into consideration.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

For the first possession, yes.  After that, whoever scores first, wins.  The game has to end sometime, plus at this point the guys are spent, so that has to be taken into consideration.

Its better, but coin toss still gives winner to much of an edge in my humble opinion. Prefer something more resembling a hockey shoot out. Equal opportunity.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/why-the-ending-of-kc-buffalo-ought-to-change-the-nf-ls-overtime-040712547.html

Edited by Figster

4 minutes ago, Ann said:

More stats:

Playoffs there is no tie possibilities. Generally speaking playoff teams have the best QB's in the league playing. They know how to score TD's. I also think Defenses work harder then O's. Another reason a coin toss creates a very lopsided advantage in OT IMO.

8 minutes ago, Ann said:

Ann, any possibility of a Billsfans petition to be sent to Kim Pegula asking her to represent the Bills in seeking a change in the NFL overtime rules?  The rules are unfair and could provide a more equitable approach for the next team that finds themselves in the present coin flip trap.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Keukasmallie said:

Ann, any possibility of a Billsfans petition to be sent to Kim Pegula asking her to represent the Bills in seeking a change in the NFL overtime rules?  The rules are unfair and could provide a more equitable approach for the next team that finds themselves in the present coin flip trap.

I think this has already gained so much attention/traction something will be done during the off season IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, Figster said:

I think this has already gained so much attention/traction something will be done during the off season IMO. 

Yeah, I agree. Whether or not changes come, I do not know, but Ian Rapoport this morning saying it would be discussed, means the NFL knows they at least have to give a change some lip service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ann said:

Yeah, I agree. Whether or not changes come, I do not know, but Ian Rapoport this morning saying it would be discussed, means the NFL knows they at least have to give a change some lip service.

Even If its enough thought to give an equal opportunity on 1st possession. As a fellow patron has suggested. You have accomplished something. 

10 minutes ago, Figster said:

Whether they end up changing it or not, the rules were what they were.  If you didn't want it to come down to the possibility of being won on a coin flip, then you better not let it get to that point.

We may win a ball game in the future in this fashion. Ala, much like KC did. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Whether they end up changing it or not, the rules were what they were.  If you didn't want it to come down to the possibility of being won on a coin flip, then you better not let it get to that point.

We may win a ball game in the future in this fashion ala, much like KC did. 

Playoff games shouldn't be decided by luck with a flip of the coin. I argued this 4years ago when it happened to the Chiefs. I stand by it now. Ann showed us how unfair it is by way of results. 10 out of 11 playoff teams went home on a coin toss. 

Edited by Figster
  • Like 2

Would only make 2-ish minor changes to playoff OT.

1.  Would kick from the 30 (keeping the ball in play more often, and often resulting in teams not getting back to the 20).  If the kickoff goes in the endzone, the ball is placed at the 20.  Which team won (kicking or receiving) was much more evenly split before teams automatically got the 25.

2.  Not because the D is gassed or whatever, but just to let the teams regroup, would add at least a 5 minute wait & likely 10 minutes, before beginning playoff OT.  Might break up a bit of that momentum that teams seem to get on at the end.

Being a Bills fan, have little, to no, doubt that a major change to fix yesterday's "inequity" will bite the Bills in the bippy down the road.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Foxx said:

We may win a ball game in the future in this fashion. Ala, much like KC did. 

We're talking about the Bills here; things like rules falling in place favoring the Bills don't happen.  The Bills either win by having a higher score than the opponent at the end of the game, or they don't win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Taro T said:

1.  Would kick from the 30 (keeping the ball in play more often, and often resulting in teams not getting back to the 20).  If the kickoff goes in the endzone, the ball is placed at the 20.  Which team won (kicking or receiving) was much more evenly split before teams automatically got the 25.

2.  Not because the D is gassed or whatever, but just to let the teams regroup, would add at least a 5 minute wait & likely 10 minutes, before beginning playoff OT.  Might break up a bit of that momentum that teams seem to get on at the end.

Being a Bills fan, have little, to no, doubt that a major change to fix yesterday's "inequity" will bite the Bills in the bippy down the road.

I like the small break idea, 10 minutes even

As far as a change coming back to bite us. I feel like the Buffalo Bills are one of the more talented teams in the league. Especially at the QB position. Championship caliber.

Lucky we are not...

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

I like the break idea. You are asking them to start another half of football, why wouldn't there be a break?

And yeah, any changes will bite the Bills in the future. 😞

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ann said:

Lots if chatter on the OT rules should be changed during the playoffs. I disagree, the rules are what they are. If the Bills had won that coin toss, they'd be hosting the AFC championship game.

However, tough to disagree with this:

over.jpg.22171fb8c7c4789e6bb8031196e21310.jpg

What say you?

I disagree that it should stay the same. I think in post season there should be a 5th qtr. That said, that was the rule and we lost. Simple. 

Edited by Fansince88
  • Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

I'm never a big fan of "change the rules because you didn't get the result you want."

But the league's been changing the rules of play over the past couple of decades to favor offensive production.  Compared to even 30 years ago, "defense wins championships" is less true, and offensive production gets teams to the playoffs and Super Bowl.

Ultimately meaning that, particularly in the playoffs, when offense gets you there, the team that gets the ball first in OT should be heavily favored to win.  The "sudden death overtime" is a holdover to several decades ago when the 100 yards/game receivers and 300 yards/game passers were exceptional, rather than all but common.  Clearly, the OT rules don't fit the modern game as structured.  

• Like 2