Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

13 Seconds...

Foxx

This will likely to be a topic debated for years. I would like to have a container for it's discussion.

I think we all know what should have been done but please express your thoughts.

I will update this OP throughout the course of things...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Beer__League__Hockey

As a defensive coach, McD was already way out of his comfort zone by that time.  3 TDs in the matter of 1:40 of playing time definitely rattled his decision making.  That long punt return also factored into that decision to kick it thru.

The way I see it is they all collectively blacked out from too high a G-force on the rollercoaster that were Josh & Patrick at the end.  Maybe they need more "training" to condition them to think clearly in the midst of the fur flying.  The players get psychological training, apparently the coaches need it too.

• Cheers 2

Today, I'm actively fantasizing about living in a world where a giant meteor struck right after we kicked the extra point with 13 seconds left. It's my happy place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 2

Crap Throwing Clavin

13 seconds: Mahomes marches down the field for the game-tying field goal.

14 seconds: Dak Prescott runs a QB draw, Cowboys fail to line up for the next play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

The deep kick in retrospect was a bad decision, though I can see why McD made that call.  Not trusting your SpT doesn't reflect well on Heath Farwell.

My biggest problem was the supposed #1 defense.  They couldn't stop Mahomes in the second half, save 1 punt.  But Josh and Gabe's valiant efforts were able to get them past that.  Inexcusable is the deep prevent D...Frazier is seriously dumb enough to think that would work against Mahomes and all his weapons.  Keep giving them 20 - 30 yard chunks with lots of space on the field to run in.  Brilliant.  How many times in the history of NFL defensive tactics has this been tried, and worked?  I'd venture to guess close to zero (0).

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

9 minutes ago, Core Four said:

The deep kick in retrospect was a bad decision, though I can see why McD made that call.  Not trusting your SpT doesn't reflect well on Heath Farwell.

My biggest problem was the supposed #1 defense.  They couldn't stop Mahomes in the second half, save 1 punt.  But Josh and Gabe's valiant efforts were able to get them past that.  Inexcusable is the deep prevent D...Frazier is seriously dumb enough to think that would work against Mahomes and all his weapons.  Keep giving them 20 - 30 yard chunks with lots of space on the field to run in.  Brilliant.  How many times in the history of NFL defensive tactics has this been tried, and worked?  I'd venture to guess close to zero (0).

If Frazier is not hired as a HC do the Bills encourage him to retire to part ways with him?

I want to think outside of the box for a moment...

Say we do kick the ball out of the endzone to eliminate the possibility of a long return. KC lines up to snap the ball with :13 seconds on the clock. KC snaps the ball, you then tackle any and all receiver eligibles. You are penalized 5 yards and they get a first down. More importantly, the clock ticks off a minimun of 4 seconds the first time. You now have :09 seconds. Do it again. Maybe they get wise and 3 seconds burn. You now have :06 seconds. Do it again and when he dirts the ball they now have second down and :05 seconds. 

You get the idea...

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

If Frazier is not hired as a HC do the Bills encourage him to retire to part ways with him?

I get the feeling that this organization, from the Pegulas down, is loyal to a fault as long as you don't &#%$ up badly (e.g. whatever the hell Quinton Spain did).  Between that and having the #1 defense this season, I don't see them cutting ties with Frazier outside of him getting a HC position.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

They'd better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

That's not a bad idea, and one I would support.  Frazier and McD go back to Philly under Andy Reid.  McD's biggest fault is that he gets attached to players and coaches, they are "his guys."  For that reason, I don't see McD blatantly firing Frazier.

I think a question that needs to be considered is how much was McD part of the defensive game plan and was he ok with absolutely no adjustments made at half time?  Also, how much does he agree with the overall scheme?  Only McD knows that.  McD is pretty stubborn, though does eventually come around to making a better decision/change.  Frazier is stuck on stupid.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Say we do kick the ball out of the endzone to eliminate the possibility of a long return. KC lines up to snap the ball with :13 seconds on the clock. KC snaps the ball, you then tackle any and all receiver eligibles. You are penalized 5 yards and they get a first down. More importantly, the clock ticks off a minimun of 4 seconds the first time. You now have :09 seconds. Do it again. Maybe they get wise and 3 seconds burn. You now have :06 seconds. Do it again and when he dirts the ball they noe have second down and :05 seconds. 

You get the idea...

I have to believe that, if you do that often enough, you get an "enough with that bullshit" unsportsmanlike conduct call and they reset the clock.

Which I would agree with.  Because that's the sort of loophole bullshit Belichick would pull, and I would hate him for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Say we do kick the ball out of the endzone to eliminate the possibility of a long return. KC lines up to snap the ball with :13 seconds on the clock. KC snaps the ball, you then tackle any and all receiver eligibles. You are penalized 5 yards and they get a first down. More importantly, the clock ticks off a minimun of 4 seconds the first time. You now have :09 seconds. Do it again. Maybe they get wise and 3 seconds burn. You now have :06 seconds. Do it again and when he dirts the ball they noe have second down and :05 seconds. 

You get the idea...

BB.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Say we do kick the ball out of the endzone to eliminate the possibility of a long return. KC lines up to snap the ball with :13 seconds on the clock. KC snaps the ball, you then tackle any and all receiver eligibles. You are penalized 5 yards and they get a first down. More importantly, the clock ticks off a minimun of 4 seconds the first time. You now have :09 seconds. Do it again. Maybe they get wise and 3 seconds burn. You now have :06 seconds. Do it again and when he dirts the ball they now have second down and :05 seconds. 

You get the idea...

Our defense has a hard enough time tackling guys whose hands are full because they have the ball, and you expect them to be able to tackle guys who are empty handed and can therefore fight back?

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I have to believe that, if you do that often enough, you get an "enough with that bullshit" unsportsmanlike conduct call and they reset the clock.

Which I would agree with.  Because that's the sort of loophole bullshit Belichick would pull, and I would hate him for it.

Well, unless your a Patriot fan...

Tackling Kelce is an awesome idea IMO.

Edited by Figster

15 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I get the feeling that this organization, from the Pegulas down, is loyal to a fault as long as you don't &#%$ up badly (e.g. whatever the hell Quinton Spain did).  Between that and having the #1 defense this season, I don't see them cutting ties with Frazier outside of him getting a HC position.

I don't know about that.  Terry has shown impatience with the Sabres in terms of firing people.  I think that deep down Terry Pegula is a competitive guy and it has to burn that the Sabres are going no where again.  But Terry also has that team known as the Buffalo Bills to outlet his alpha male desires.  Terry is also savvy enough to know that firing Frazier could be a PC chit storm.  Does Terry call Beane, McDermott, and Frazier into his office to lay it out for them?  That Terry for today and only today is willing to write a check in the guise of retirement to clear Frazier out and replace him.  As of today I would put the odds at least 50 percent that Pegula wants a new DC.

Edited by RochesterRob

Crap Throwing Clavin
Just now, RochesterRob said:

I don't know about that.  Terry has shown impatience with the Sabres in terms of firing people. 

The Sabers people he hires tend to &#%$ up pretty badly, though.  

So did Rex Ryan.  

Unless Frazier does something particularly stupid like sexually harass Kim, I don't think they cut him loose.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I don't know about that.  Terry has shown impatience with the Sabres in terms of firing people.  I think that deep down Terry Pegula is a competitive guy and it has to burn that the Sabres are going no where again.  But Terry also has that team known as the Buffalo Bills to outlet his alpha male desires.  Terry is also savvy enough to enough that firing Frazier could be a PC chit storm.  Does Terry call Beane, McDermott, and Frazier into his office to lay it out for them?  That Terry for today and only today is willing to write a check in the guise of retirement to clear Frazier out and replace him.

I actually feel like the Sabres are starting to turn it around.  It's going to be at least one more season but the kids do show promise...finally.

Just now, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

The Sabers people he hires tend to &#%$ up pretty badly, though.  

So did Rex Ryan.  

Unless Frazier does something particularly stupid like sexually harass Kim, I don't think they cut him loose.

Someone catfish him as Kim.  Like, go all Mantai Teo's girlfriend on his ass.

• Haha 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
4 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I actually feel like the Sabres are starting to turn it around.  It's going to be at least one more season but the kids do show promise...finally.

Counterpoint: I've seen you say this before.  It's like Obama's Summer of Recovery at this point.