Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

13 Seconds...

Foxx

18 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

for a play where the sole purpose of the defense is to block the kick,

not a lot of arms in the air

Blocking a FG or punt is definitely a plus, but can't be relied upon.  The defense just fell flat and let the team down by losing a game the offense won.

• 1 month later...
Core Four
3 hours ago, Foxx said:

I'm sure a good part of it was Levi not paying attention to what the other DBs were doing.  I think he did similar at the end of Tampa Bay game where Edmunds was left covering Breshard Perriman (EDIT: This may have actually been Taron Johnson, not Wallace).  It does indicate that McD/Beane place a good part of blame on Wallace since they did not re-sign him and drafted Elam as the CB2 replacement.

However, coaching was still the biggest failure - playing posts while leaving the middle of the field wide open, especially underneath, when KC had two time outs left is a failure on Frazier/McD's part.  The Bills D under Frazier/McD is so afraid of getting beat deep, which is a low probability play, that they get beat shallow (high probability play) which ends up being just as bad as getting beat deep because of the big YAC by the WR.

Another poster pointed out that the end of the KC Divisional game didn't go over well with a lot of the players, which I absolutely believe.  A lot of turnover and more capital was allocated to the defense.  It's on Frazier and McD to make the most of it and not make the same dumb game management decisions.  Wait and see is all that can be done at this point.

Edited by Core Four
  • Like 4

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Core Four said:

I'm sure a good part of it was Levi not paying attention to what the other DBs were doing.  I think he did similar at the end of Tampa Bay game where Edmunds was left covering Breshard Perriman (EDIT: This may have actually been Taron Johnson, not Wallace).  It does indicate that McD/Beane place a good part of blame on Wallace since they did not re-sign him and drafted Elam as the CB2 replacement.

Keep in mind that Taron Johnson signed a 3yr $24M extension last October, without trying to resign Wallace.

They weren't exactly enamored with Wallace even at the start of last season, clearly.

Billsandhorns

They made him earn the position every year he was a Bill. It appears that he was just better than the competition

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Keep in mind that Taron Johnson signed a 3yr $24M extension last October, without trying to resign Wallace.

They weren't exactly enamored with Wallace even at the start of last season, clearly.

Beane has admitted they were trying to pick a corner last season high in the draft as well.

Crap Throwing Clavin
28 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

They made him earn the position every year he was a Bill. It appears that he was just better than the competition

Made things especially bizarre.  "Congrats.  You beat out the competition for the #2 QB slot.  They're getting paid.  We're still only signing you to 1-year contracts."

• Like 1

Core Four
2 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Probably true.  They didn't, or maybe couldn't, replace Wallace earlier due to a number of other positions that were in need of attention.

Not a big fan of Taron Johnson.  One big play against the Ravens and he gets paid, then goes back to being a 4th round pick from a small school.  At least there is an out after this season.

Spartacus
3 hours ago, Core Four said:

Probably true.  They didn't, or maybe couldn't, replace Wallace earlier due to a number of other positions that were in need of attention.

Not a big fan of Taron Johnson.  One big play against the Ravens and he gets paid, then goes back to being a 4th round pick from a small school.  At least there is an out after this season.

so let me understand-

you agree that all 3 CBs available were less than stellar at covering anybody,

but Frazier sucks because those same guys couldn't cover very well

Core Four
14 hours ago, Spartacus said:

so let me understand-

WTF?  How do you come up with this crap?  There was no point where I said Frazier sucks because his DBs couldn't cover anyone.  I have no idea what bounces around in your skull to come up with nonsense like this.

Frazier sucks because his defensive scheme and philosophy sucks.  

Alaska Darin
22 hours ago, Core Four said:

1.  He's made way more plays than that (game changing play against the Steelers in prime time in Buffalo to name an easy one).  He's a very good slot corner and he'd be unemployed for zero time if he was made available to other teams.  Repeating that nonsense more often is never going to make it true.  I swear, some  people must not pay attention to players on other teams because you place so little value on good players we have. 

Most of the time when Johnson is beaten for a chunk type play it's because there's been so little pressure on the QB and he's covering a long-developing crossing route.  You know who else that happens to?  EVERY &#%$ING DB ON THIS PLANET.

One game of "the guy who has made one big play":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGDjNDecnno

2.  Beane has admitted he was looking for corners in last season's draft and in free agency but the board didn't fall right and the market was too expensive.  There is a lack of CB depth in the NFL but not WRs and it's super evident each year at the draft when WR runs start in just about every round.  Gabe Davis is as good a two as there is in the NFL and he was a 4th rounder out of a non-power 5 school.

Spartacus
2 hours ago, Core Four said:

WTF?  How do you come up with this crap?  There was no point where I said Frazier sucks because his DBs couldn't cover anyone.  I have no idea what bounces around in your skull to come up with nonsense like this.

Frazier sucks because his defensive scheme and philosophy sucks.  

and of course his scheme has nothing to do with the non-coverage skills he has at 3 CB positions after Tre went down.

hard to play press cover defense  without cover corners 

• 2 weeks later...
Arm of Harm
On 5/4/2022 at 6:51 PM, Spartacus said:

so let me understand-

The Bengals had a worse secondary than the Bills. The Bengals would have been thrilled to trade away Eli Apple for Levi Wallace or Taron Johnson, straight up. In the Bengals’ playoff game against the Chiefs, their defense generated six stops. Frazier’s defense generated just two stops against the Chiefs. 

I’ll grant that the Chiefs offense has better athletes and football players than either the Bills or Bengals defenses. If you realize you’re athletically inferior, you have two options. Option 1) play a weak, submissive, “play not to lose” style of defense. Hope the other team makes a mistake. Option 2) Punch the bully in the nose, even though you’re weaker. Aggressively try to generate a stop every series of downs. Contest everything; give the opposing offense nothing for free. 

Frazier chose option 1, just as he did in last year’s playoff game against the Chiefs. The Bengals’ defensive coordinator chose option 2, especially in the second half of their game. That is why the Bengals’ defense was three times as successful as the Bills’ defense, even though the Bengals had Eli Apple at corner. 

• Like 1