Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Who do you want to see replace Daboll?

Arm of Harm

I think the most likely choice is Dorsey, but there is a chance he follows Daboll to NYG.  If that happens, I would be pretty certain that Beane and McD have thought about that scenario.  At that point, the question becomes, who else does McD and Beane know and have a level of comfort and trust with?

This article from Buffalo Rumblings might provide some insight:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/1/24/22899609/5-replacement-options-for-bills-offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-ken-dorsey

The five potential OC candidates are:

1. Ken Dorsey - probably the leading choice, but may choose to follow Daboll to NYG

2. Matt Nagy  - former Bears HC.  I'm not sure I see this working out given his heavy handed style.  Mitch Trubisky might have some advice to give to Beane and McD on Nagy, which won't be good.

3. Pat Shurmur -  Former HC and OC for multiple teams, last stop was Broncos OC.  Was with McD at Philly from 2001-2008 as the QB coach.  This is one to keep an eye on.

4. David Culley - Just fired from Houston, but they are a dumpster fire and Culley got hosed.  Was an Eagles assistant coach from 2001 through McD's departure a decade later.  Was the Bills' QB coach 2017-2018 and left for reasons unknown and went to Baltimore to be WR coach/passing coordinator.  Supposedly Josh Allen sought out Culley after the Texan game to chat.  Culley has never been an OC.  Doesn't seem likely, IMO.

5. Mike Shula - Has worked with McD and Dorsey in Carolina where he was the OC from 2013-2017.  Most recently, Shula was the Bronco's QB coach under Shurmur as the OC in 2020-2021.

Another name I saw was Jim Caldwell, who has been around the NFL since the late 1970's.  IMO, he underperformed in Indy and got out-coached by Sean Payton in the SB.  Caldwell is being talked about as a HC candidate, though I doubt that happens.  I don't think Caldwell has any type of history with McD or Beane.  Pass on Caldwell, get someone who will be a little more imaginative as an offensive play caller.

Personally, I like @Ann's suggestion that Doug Pederson is available.  Only problem is he may not have a previous working relationship with McD, either in Philly or Carolina.  To me, that is a horrible reason not to consider an offensive mind like Doug Pederson.  What he did with Nick Foles in Philly to win the SB should not be overlooked.

• Like 4

Blessed Believer

I do think Dorsey was a package deal and had private conversations with Daboll before Daboll was offered the job, so I’m not counting on him.

Pat Shurmur has a great resume. I’m surprised NY didn’t want him to be the OC seeing how successful he was with Daniel Jones his rookie year. 24 TD passes in 12 games. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Core Four said:

I think the most likely choice is Dorsey, but there is a chance he follows Daboll to NYG.  If that happens, I would be pretty certain that Beane and McD have thought about that scenario.  At that point, the question becomes, who else does McD and Beane know and have a level of comfort and trust with?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/1/24/22899609/5-replacement-options-for-bills-offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-ken-dorsey

1. Ken Dorsey - probably the leading choice, but may choose to follow Daboll to NYG

2. Matt Nagy  - former Bears HC.  I'm not sure I see this working out given his heavy handed style.  Mitch Trubisky might have some advice to give to Beane and McD on Nagy, which won't be good.

3. Pat Shurmur -  Former HC and OC for multiple teams, last stop was Broncos OC.  Was with McD at Philly from 2001-2008 as the QB coach.  This is one to keep an eye on.

4. David Culley - Just fired from Houston, but they are a dumpster fire and Culley got hosed.  Was an Eagles assistant coach from 2001 through McD's departure a decade later.  Was the Bills' QB coach 2017-2018 and left for reasons unknown and went to Baltimore to be WR coach/passing coordinator.  Supposedly Josh Allen sought out Culley after the Texan game to chat.  Culley has never been an OC.  Doesn't seem likely, IMO.

5. Mike Shula - Has worked with McD and Dorsey in Carolina where he was the OC from 2013-2017.  Most recently, Shula was the Bronco's QB coach under Shurmur as the OC in 2020-2021.

Another name I saw was Jim Caldwell, who has been around the NFL since the late 1970's.  IMO, he underperformed in Indy and got out-coached by Sean Payton in the SB.  Caldwell is being talked about as a HC candidate, though I doubt that happens.  I don't think Caldwell has any type of history with McD or Beane.  Pass on Caldwell, get someone who will be a little more imaginative as an offensive play caller.

Personally, I like @Ann's suggestion that Doug Pederson is available.  Only problem is he may not have a previous working relationship with McD, either in Philly or Carolina.  To me, that is a horrible reason not to consider an offensive mind like Doug Pederson.  What he did with Nick Foles in Philly to win the SB should not be overlooked.

Above list is seriously underwhelming, after dorsey

worst thing will be new oc forcing the run at the expense of josh

• Like 1

Dorsey would be a serious idiot to follow Daboll to NY. Josh Allen is a kingmaker (to use the phrase du jour). Daboll would not be a HC without Josh and his drive and talent. Dorsey could get his name in lights being Josh’s OC in a super bowl run (or multiple). With Danielle Jones, he has a serious chance of being forgotten and dropping back to QB coach level if/when Daboll flames out as HC.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Core Four said:

If Dorsey is gone I would think they think outside the box of who we have worked with. The NFL is a small community in a sense that they know people that know people. I agree with you and Ann on Doug. I doubt they pick from Buffalo Rumblings list. It will be someone we all say "Huh, never thought of that. This could work". that is how the process works. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Anthony Lynn is available. 

Another good choice to consider.  He did a very good job with Tyrod when Roman was fired.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

If Dorsey is gone I would think they think outside the box of who we have worked with. The NFL is a small community in a sense that they know people that know people. I agree with you and Ann on Doug. I doubt they pick from Buffalo Rumblings list. It will be someone we all say "Huh, never thought of that. This could work". that is how the process works. 

Doug Pederson would be a good pick.  He is a proven HC and OC has a good offensive mind.  I would think that if Pederson has any intentions on HC in the future, an OC could be the logical next step after being out of the league for two years.  He has interview with a couple of teams for their HC vacancy but nothing has come of that.

• Like 2

Would it be crazy to give Josh McCown an interview? His actual coaching resume is pretty thin, but he’s been a vet backup QB for approximately 300 years which can be similar to a coaching position, and he’s getting HC looks from the Texans so it’s not like others in the league don’t think highly of his prospects. (Not that we should be looking to the Texans as role models, but still.)

1 hour ago, devnull said:

So is Tyrod Taylor

in coming package deal

Lynn & Tyrod

get the band back together

it worked wonders in the Jax playoff game

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

Doug Pederson would be a good pick.  He is a proven HC and OC has a good offensive mind.  I would think that if Pederson has any intentions on HC in the future, an OC could be the logical next step after being out of the league for two years.  He has interview with a couple of teams for their HC vacancy but nothing has come of that.

I could be wrong, or just plain lazy, but I feel like Pederson without Reich is like Sonny without Cher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

I could be wrong, or just plain lazy, but I feel like Pederson without Reich is like Sonny without Cher.

I think what did Pederson in was going back to Carson Wentz rather than sticking with Nick Foles.  Wentz did nothing after his injury.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fansince88 said:

most NFL coordinators run offenses to fit their QBs, who for the most part, are below average with limited skills

run alot, dink and dunk, checkdown charlie, etc, 3 downs and punt

Therefore, most NFL re-treads do not fit what the Bills need

The OC you need may not be in the NFL ranks

Bills need someone who has has an ingrained philosophy to push the ball down the field and has shown the ability to design route combinations to exploit that philosophy. Agrresssive at throwing the ball

any OC successful running traditional dinosaur NFL offense should be ignored

- because it not in Josh's best interest

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

most NFL coordinators run offenses to fit their QBs, who for the most part, are below average with limited skills

run alot, dink and dunk, checkdown charlie, etc, 3 downs and punt

Therefore, most NFL re-treads do not fit what the Bills need

The OC you need may not be in the NFL ranks

Bills need someone who has has an ingrained philosophy to push the ball down the field and has shown the ability to design route combinations to exploit that philosophy. Agrresssive at throwing the ball

any OC successful running traditional dinosaur NFL offense should be ignored

- because it not in Josh's best interest

Then This is the guy you want.

Brent Vigen. However, he was just named the Head Coach at Montana State.