Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Who do you want to see replace Daboll?

Arm of Harm

29 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I don't know that Johnson is a bad OL coach.  But it's been so long since I've seen a good OL coach, I wouldn't know a good one if I saw him.  But I'm pretty sure that Cody Ford can make anyone look like a bad OL coach.

Between Johnson and Daboll, the OL was pretty bad most of the season.  To their credit, they got it straightened out at the end of the season, but what took them so long?  Between scheme and personnel, they seemed dug in to what wasn't working the majority of this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I don’t know enough to opine one way or another (though obviously our OL has not over achieved), but it dawns on me that Dorsey’s choice won’t come down to Allen v Jones.  I’ll come down to McDermott v Daboll.

Feeling comfortable and connected with your boss is the most important job consideration 98% of the time, no matter what you do for a living.

That is certainly a point to consider re:Dorsey, employees leave managers.

The point I was making in the post was that I don't think Bobby Johnson (OL coach) can go to NYG on a lateral move.  Buffalo would have to essentially release him.

• Like 1

Blessed Believer
1 hour ago, Core Four said:

I don't think the Giants can do this unless the Bills allow it or fire him.  Personally, I'm all for Bobby Johnson moving on.

His contract expired in 2021. He can go where he wants. Apparently the Bills don’t mind losing him, otherwise wouldn’t they have extended his contract before it expired? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blessed Believer said:

His contract expired in 2021. He can go where he wants. Apparently the Bills don’t mind losing him, otherwise wouldn’t they have extended his contract before it expired? 

Ah, I didn't know his contract just expired.  If that is the case, and the Bills didn't renew it (thankfully), Bobby Johnson can go where he wants.  Makes sense, let the new OC have input/choose his new OL/run game coordinator.

• Cheers 1

Blessed Believer
7 hours ago, Core Four said:

Ah, I didn't know his contract just expired.  If that is the case, and the Bills didn't renew it (thankfully), Bobby Johnson can go where he wants.  Makes sense, let the new OC have input/choose his new OL/run game coordinator.

it sounds to me like you are happy to see BJ leave.  Do you feel him to be a mediocre coach?  The OL did have some injuries this year but got better running the ball at the end when people returned. The pass protection seemed okay to me too.  What are your thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Blessed Believer said:

it sounds to me like you are happy to see BJ leave.  Do you feel him to be a mediocre coach?  The OL did have some injuries this year but got better running the ball at the end when people returned. The pass protection seemed okay to me too.  What are your thoughts? 

The injuries really did impact the line. But, whose decision was it to wait so long to put Bates in? And if it was someone higher up - Daboll, McDermott decided against it - how vocal was Johnson in advocating for him to be on the line?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Blessed Believer said:

At best he is mediocre.  Before this stint with the Bills, he was never a pro OL coach, only assistant and TE coach.  Johnson was an OL coach for Indiana and Miami (OH) years ago.  We can do better.

Dawkins' covid last summer definitely hurt, he was not very good the first half of the season.  I don't see Feliciano's injury being that big of a deal, dude just isn't that good, he's backup quality.  My biggest problem with Johnson and Daboll is what took them so long to get the blocking scheme and LG position set so the line could actually block and we actually had a run game.  For 2/3 of the season, they couldn't block or run the ball.  There are some factors that occurred which aren't Johnson's fault (Cody Ford), but I think they were very stubborn in wanting to stick with a blocking scheme that our OL couldn't execute.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Blessed Believer
2 hours ago, Ann said:

The injuries really did impact the line. But, whose decision was it to wait so long to put Bates in? And if it was someone higher up - Daboll, McDermott decided against it - how vocal was Johnson in advocating for him to be on the line?

Well, at least Bates is now a lock, so at least we got that worked out.  

I went back over the season to look at how the RBs (not Allen) ran, and maybe it wasn’t as bad as I originally thought.  I am also leaving out McKenzie’s runs, just the RBs:

week 1: 72 yards on 11 carries

2: 82-13

3: 86 on 24

4: 79 on 14

5. 62 on 17

6. 51 on 13

8. 47 on 15

9. 25 on 9 (yikes)

10. 98 on 17

11. 73 on 11

12. 70 on 24

13. 60 on 19

14. 64 on 7

15. 94 on 23

16. 51 on 15

17. 149 on 28

18. 96 on 24

wild card. 81 on 17

division. 26 on 10

conclusion:

I guess one can draw several conclusions looking at these rushing stats. Two that come to mind for me are - I was surprised seeing the yards per carry were pretty good (4 or higher) on 11 of the 19 games. In addition, we ran the ball with the RB 15 or less times in 10 of the 19 games.  I’m sure you can make 5 more easily. 

Of course we also ran the ball a lot with Josh and somewhat with McKenzie. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Awesome. I can't help but believe when it comes to Josh Allen that we need to keep the band together as much as possible on that side of the ball.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

That's who Allen wanted.  Good enough for this kid.

Apparently the BILLS organization decided not to be the Packers.  😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 3