Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Denver Broncos for Sale [Sold; $4.65B]

Ann

Gonna be interesting to see how much they go for...

Denver Broncos Officially For Sale: Bowlen Family Calls Ownership An ‘Incredible Ride’

The Denver Broncos are officially for sale. The Pat Bowlen Trust announced today the beginning of a sale process for the Denver Broncos — and the trustees hope to have the sale completed by the start of the 2022 NFL season.

The Bowlen family issued a statement on social media on Tuesday, expressing their gratitude for their time with the team:

</snip>

This was inevitable after the district court ruling back in January.

On 1/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, Ann said:

Legal victory clears path for Broncos to be put up for sale
In Denver’s Second District Court, Judge Shelly Gilman ruled that the right of first refusal is terminated

</snip>

The last remaining hurdle for the Broncos to be put on the market was removed Tuesday in Denver’s Second District Court when Judge Shelly I. Gilman ruled late owner Edgar Kaiser’s right of first refusal provision was not transferrable.

In a 41-page ruling, Gilman wrote, “the right of first refusal … between Edgar F. Kaiser, Jr. and Patrick D. Bowlen … is no longer valid or enforceable in any respect.”

Translation: Broncos president/CEO Joe Ellis can lead the process to sell the team without interference from ROFR Holdings.

</snip>

It is unclear if ROFR Holdings will appeal the ruling.

The Broncos are expected to command a record sale price for an American pro sports franchise. The current NFL record is $2.275 billion for the Carolina Panthers in 2018 when purchased by David Tepper.

The Broncos could be sold for as much as $4 billion.

</snip>

It will be very interesting to see the final purchase price. Could the Broncos really go for almost twice the Panthers 2018 selling price? And at $4B, is the days of single  person ownership over?

</snip>

Thirty-eight years after Pat Bowlen and his two brothers and one sister bought a majority interest in the team for $78 million, the Broncos are expected to easily break the current record sale price of $2.35 billion for a U.S. professional sports team set by the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets.

</snip>

The record sale price for an NFL franchise is $2.275 billion for the Carolina Panthers. The Broncos’ final price could reach $4 billion.

</snip>

• Wow 1

• 4 weeks later...
Arm of Harm

I went to a bank to ask about a $4 billion loan with which to buy the Broncos. They asked me about collateral. I pointed out that I only have a year left of payments on my pickup truck. The conversation kind of went downhill from there. 😞

• Haha 2

Seasons1992
10 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

I went to a bank to ask about a $4 billion loan with which to buy the Broncos. They asked me about collateral. I pointed out that I only have a year left of payments on my pickup truck. The conversation kind of went downhill from there. 😞

Marine Midland: "We can offer you $10k."

@Arm of Harm "But Jim Kelly played here!"

Marine Midland: *hangs up phone*

On 3/9/2022 at 1:45 AM, Arm of Harm said:

should have offered them a 10% kickback

courtesy of the Big Guy

• 3 weeks later...

The Athletic (paid site)

NFL wants capital behind Broncos bids early in process as record deal approaches

</snip>

The last time an NFL team hit the market, the process got bogged down with bidders who were scrambling behind the scenes to find investors to finance their bids.

The 2018 sale of the Carolina Panthers only crossed the finish line because billionaire David Tepper stepped up with his bid of $2.275 billion, which was lower than the investor-heavy offers from Ben Navarro and Alan Kestenbaum

The NFL wants to avoid a repeat of that paradigm with the sale of the Denver Broncos, informing the trust that is selling the team that preliminary offers need to be fully capitalized, according to a finance source.

“That’s a big change from past sales,” the source said.

</snip>

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 12:45 PM, Ann said:

The Athletic (paid site)

NFL wants capital behind Broncos bids early in process as record deal approaches

</snip>

The last time an NFL team hit the market, the process got bogged down with bidders who were scrambling behind the scenes to find investors to finance their bids.

The 2018 sale of the Carolina Panthers only crossed the finish line because billionaire David Tepper stepped up with his bid of $2.275 billion, which was lower than the investor-heavy offers from Ben Navarro and Alan Kestenbaum

The NFL wants to avoid a repeat of that paradigm with the sale of the Denver Broncos, informing the trust that is selling the team that preliminary offers need to be fully capitalized, according to a finance source.

“That’s a big change from past sales,” the source said.

</snip>

Can't have the poors knocking down the doors

Walmart heir to bid for Broncos, dimming Robert F. Smith hopes: sources

Walmart tycoon Rob Walton is poised to make a bid for the Denver Broncos — and is now the favorite to buy the team despite the NFL’s efforts to court Robert F. Smith, the nation’s richest African-American, The Post has learned.

Walton — worth more than $70 billion, according to Forbes — is expected to submit a Broncos bid on Friday worth more than $4 billion — the highest price ever paid for a professional sports team, according to sources close to the situation.

</snip>

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

RochesterRob
14 hours ago, Ann said:

Walmart heir to bid for Broncos, dimming Robert F. Smith hopes: sources

Walmart tycoon Rob Walton is poised to make a bid for the Denver Broncos — and is now the favorite to buy the team despite the NFL’s efforts to court Robert F. Smith, the nation’s richest African-American, The Post has learned.

Walton — worth more than $70 billion, according to Forbes — is expected to submit a Broncos bid on Friday worth more than $4 billion — the highest price ever paid for a professional sports team, according to sources close to the situation.

</snip>

Normally, I am all for free enterprise but does not the Walton family have enough?  Walton son-in-law Stan Krencke already owns the Rams.  Does the Bronco's have cheap shoddy merchandise days in its future as a promotion?

• Wow 1

On 4/3/2022 at 2:39 PM, Joe said:

Can't have the poors knocking down the doors

how can you  have a legitimate offer if there is not enough money to close the deal

for a billionarire's club, the process for buying a team sure seemed to be loosey goosey, 

wasting time on unfunded bids

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Normally, I am all for free enterprise but does not the Walton family have enough?  Walton son-in-law Stan Krencke already owns the Rams.  Does the Bronco's have cheap shoddy merchandise days in its future as a promotion?

$4B cash? The trust is going with Show Me the Money!   The NFL would approve him in a second.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ann said:

$4B cash? The trust is going with Show Me the Money!   The NFL would approve him in a second.

There are only so many people who can write a $4B check.  Russian oligarchs and Saudi princes aside, I can't imagine the NFL turning many of them away.

• Like 1