Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Denver Broncos for Sale [Sold; $4.65B]

Ann

On 4/2/2022 at 12:45 PM, Ann said:

The Athletic (paid site)

NFL wants capital behind Broncos bids early in process as record deal approaches

</snip>

The last time an NFL team hit the market, the process got bogged down with bidders who were scrambling behind the scenes to find investors to finance their bids.

The 2018 sale of the Carolina Panthers only crossed the finish line because billionaire David Tepper stepped up with his bid of $2.275 billion, which was lower than the investor-heavy offers from Ben Navarro and Alan Kestenbaum

The NFL wants to avoid a repeat of that paradigm with the sale of the Denver Broncos, informing the trust that is selling the team that preliminary offers need to be fully capitalized, according to a finance source.

“That’s a big change from past sales,” the source said.

</snip>

surprised that they're not waiving the cash/ net worth requirement in its entirety in cases of the appropriate desired minority

the feel good clause

the seller can just contribute the team to the deserving minority for a dose of feel good

13 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

Anyone think they want a guy like Elon owning a team?

He's South African (and has Canadian and US citizenship). I'm surprised he doesn't own a soccer team.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, Ann said:

The Athletic (paid site)

NFL wants capital behind Broncos bids early in process as record deal approaches

</snip>

The last time an NFL team hit the market, the process got bogged down with bidders who were scrambling behind the scenes to find investors to finance their bids.

The 2018 sale of the Carolina Panthers only crossed the finish line because billionaire David Tepper stepped up with his bid of $2.275 billion, which was lower than the investor-heavy offers from Ben Navarro and Alan Kestenbaum

The NFL wants to avoid a repeat of that paradigm with the sale of the Denver Broncos, informing the trust that is selling the team that preliminary offers need to be fully capitalized, according to a finance source.

That’s a big change from past sales,” the source said.

</snip>

But is it?  I kinda thought NFL team sales always (or at least in the last 20 years) went to guys who could just write the check.    

Billsandhorns
11 hours ago, Nanker said:

Or Bon Jovi?  

I say Elon because he doesn't really parrot that accept lines, I think they wanted Bon Jovi to buy and move the Bills Pegs just came in with more money than he could get and blew that hope up

Edited by Billsandhorns
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

But is it?  I kinda thought NFL team sales always (or at least in the last 20 years) went to guys who could just write the check.    

They had an issue with Carolina they want to avoid in the future, hence now fully funded before acceptance.

• Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Denver Bronco's ------------ Orange team.

I would think the new owner would be obvious.

ElIUHcXWAAsleki.jpg

The NFL would never let Trump buy a team...

But God, would I love to watch that woke circus.  :classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Denver Bronco's ------------ Orange team.

I would think the new owner would be obvious.

Orange and Blue owned by Orange Man Bad.  Agree with above that would never be allowed to happen, but would be must see TV if it did.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Didn't he try and buy a team a long time ago?

He had an interest in buying the Bills.  I think he was well below $1B with his bid.

Crap Throwing Clavin
55 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Didn't he try and buy a team a long time ago?

Yes, but that was back when he was a Democrat, before he became a Nazi.  

Billsandhorns
51 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Yes, but that was back when he was a Democrat, before he became a Nazi.  

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

He had an interest in buying the Bills.  I think he was well below $1B with his bid.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

Besides the Bills?

Before the Bills, I know he owned a team in the defunct USFL and sued the NFL. I thought he played that game because he was denied an NFL franchise.

Only thought the Bills thing was a ploy and he wasn't serious

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Billsandhorns said:

Before the Bills, I know he owned a team in the defunct USFL and sued the NFL. I thought he played that game because he was denied an NFL franchise.

I think Trump was serious about buying an NFL team, but he wanted a good deal.  He wasn't going to pay FMV.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Core Four said:

I think Trump was serious about buying an NFL team, but he wanted a good deal.  He wasn't going to pay FMV.

Loved Trump as a president but he would have moved the team in protest to NY. Glad he didnt. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Billsandhorns said:

I think he saw it as his way in without paying full fare for a team, hoping the NFL would compromise and take a couple USFL teams, including his.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Billsandhorns
3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I think he saw it as his way in without paying full fare for a team, hoping the NFL would compromise and take a couple USFL teams, including his.

Makes sense

• 2 weeks later...

The list of prospective Broncos owners has narrowed to five, according to Troy Renck of Denver7. An NFL-record bid should be expected here, and the winning price is set to smash the previous mark David Tepper set four years ago when he bought the Panthers for $2.275 billion.

Rob Walton is believed to have submitted an opening bid of more than $4 billion, according to Josh Kosman of the New York Post. A Walmart heir worth more than $70 billion, Walton, 77, is the favorite to acquire the AFC West franchise, per Kosman and Renck (Twitter link). The highest bid must be accepted, with the sale then going to a league vote.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/04/rob-walton-frontrunner-to-buy-broncos

• Like 2