Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Official 2022 Salary Cap Thread

Alaska Darin

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

for being heavily invested in all things Bills-

why are your insights always wrong?

So you want to retain Star and Levi Wallace?  Talk about wrong insights...

• Haha 1

They have several guys I'd like them to keep but are clearly 'restructure or cut' candidates:

Williams, Klein, Matakevich.  Maybe Morse in that group?  But dumping your center in a pass heavy offense is not optimal.

It sounds like they are stuck with Star in '22, but definitely need to draft his replacement.

I think they keep Beasley;  he's the safety net for that offense.  Even if they do retain McKenzie, he's still unproven over a full season.

Feliciano, Ford and Haack can go.  Hopefully they can trade Feliciano and save the $.

4 hours ago, KD in CA said:

They have several guys I'd like them to keep but are clearly 'restructure or cut' candidates:

Williams, Klein, Matakevich.  Maybe Morse in that group?  But dumping your center in a pass heavy offense is not optimal.

It sounds like they are stuck with Star in '22, but definitely need to draft his replacement.

I think they keep Beasley;  he's the safety net for that offense.  Even if they do retain McKenzie, he's still unproven over a full season.

Feliciano, Ford and Haack can go.  Hopefully they can trade Feliciano and save the $.

Morse can, and should be restructured. His cap hit in 2022 is $11.25M.  If Beane was somehow able to find Morse's replacement, his dead cap hit is $3.75M.  Morse will be 30, so he's not too old, but his concussion history is still of some concern.  I'd want to see RG upgraded since Morse isn't good enough to help a weaker G such as Daryl Williams.  The right side got pushed back and beat by the 1T/0T way too often.

Feliciano can be released post 6/1 and only incur $750K dead cap in 2022 + 2023.  A cap savings of $4.2M; no way do you retain Feliciano.

I initially thought they were stuck with Star in 2022, but they're not.  He has a $9.2M cap hit if retained, but a $5.1M dead cap hit in 2022 + $2.6M dead cap hit in 2023 if release post 6/1.  It will make sense to release him and draft his replacement.  A bit of a dead cap hit, but that is better than keeping Star.  Hopefully they can keep Harry on the cheap as the 1TDT2.

• Like 1

Just a thought, don't know how good it is but here goes...

I think Boettger was doing pretty well at LG before he got injured and Bates had to take over. I wonder what a healthy Boettger at LG and Bates at C would do. Bates was originally listed as a C if my memory serves me correctly.  That would leave RG (if we are considering moving on from Williams for cap purposes) and OL depth as the only other position(s) to be addressed.

I see we signed a rookie from last year away from GB to a futures contract, Jacob Capra. He is listed as "OL" so not sure where his playing position is considered to be strongest. We also have Evin Ksiezarczyk on the practice squad and Tommy Doyle. Of course, I've no way of knowing at this point if all or any of the three are ready for primetime yet.

Whatever we do, we have to have a Oline that is not only going to be dominant in pass pro, but that can also open running lanes for the backs to keep opposing D's honest.

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Just a thought, don't know how good it is but here goes...

I think Boettger was doing pretty well at LG before he got injured and Bates had to take over. I wonder what a healthy Boettger at LG and Bates at C would do. Bates was originally listed as a C if my memory serves me correctly.  That would leave RG (if we are considering moving on from Williams for cap purposes) and OL depth as the only other position(s) to be addressed.

I see we signed a rookie from last year away from GB to a futures contract, Jacob Capra. He is listed as "OL" so not sure where his playing position is considered to be strongest. We also have Evin Ksiezarczyk on the practice squad and Tommy Doyle. Of course, I've no way of knowing at this point if all or any of the three are ready for primetime yet.

Whatever we do, we have to have a Oline that is not only going to be dominant in pass pro, but that can also open running lanes for the backs to keep opposing D's honest.

I'm not so sure that Boettger was as good at LG as you may think.  Between him and Dawkins' covid case, the left side of the OL wasn't very good at the first part of the season.  As far as Bates at C, we really haven't seen much from him there, kind of a risk if he doesn't work out.  Bates was undrafted and picked up by the Eagles, we traded for him in 2019.  I would have to believe Beane tries to restructure Morse's contract to keep him here through 2023.  If successful, that buys some time to keep an eye on upcoming drafts for a C.  Still need a road grating RG.  Hopefully the new OC and OL coach are better at finding a good OL set and blocking scheme than Daboll and Bobby Johnson.

Tommy Doyle could potentially supplant Dawkins, if his development allows.  He was a project when drafted in the 5th round last year.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:53 PM, Core Four said:

I'm not so sure that Boettger was as good at LG as you may think.  Between him and Dawkins' covid case, the left side of the OL wasn't very good at the first part of the season.  As far as Bates at C, we really haven't seen much from him there, kind of a risk if he doesn't work out.  Bates was undrafted and picked up by the Eagles, we traded for him in 2019.  I would have to believe Beane tries to restructure Morse's contract to keep him here through 2023.  If successful, that buys some time to keep an eye on upcoming drafts for a C.  Still need a road grating RG.  Hopefully the new OC and OL coach are better at finding a good OL set and blocking scheme than Daboll and Bobby Johnson.

Tommy Doyle could potentially supplant Dawkins, if his development allows.  He was a project when drafted in the 5th round last year.

highly likely that a road grader at RG can't pass block worth shit-

but hey, Josh can dodge the DT when coms free on every play 

43 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

highly likely that a road grader at RG can't pass block worth shit-

but hey, Josh can dodge the DT when coms free on every play 

The idea of a RG is to block the DT and not get pushed back.  The middle of the pocket should not be pushed back.  A physical "i.e. road grater" G will be able to do that in pass pro, plus he can block the DT in run plays.  We didn't have that this year, at least not on the right side; Daryl Williams was the weak link.  Maybe you were watching figure skating most of this past season, but Josh was dodging Dlinemen most of this year.

Jabba The Hutt
On 2/3/2022 at 9:22 PM, Ann said:

OMG did you see the size of Andy Reid compared to the kid standing behind him?

Even at 13 he looked like the offspring of a walrus that humped the Kool-aid man...

Edited by Jabba The Hutt
  • Haha 5

Jabba The Hutt
43 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

giphy.webp

That commercial was live footage directly after consummation of baby Andrew Reid with Mrs. Walrus:classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
can you say comp picks
Number leaving should be greater than free agents added

Mitch will be a pretty big number

Bills mock offseason 2022: A Buffalo blueprint for free agency, cuts, draft picks and more

2022 Bills unrestricted free agents          

PLAYER POSITION

Mitchell Trubisky              QB

Matt Breida                        RB

Taiwan Jones                     RB

Emmanuel Sanders         WR

Isaiah McKenzie                 WR

Jake Kumerow                  WR

Ike Boettger                       G

Bobby Hart                          OT

Jerry Hughes                      DE

Mario Addison                  DE

Efe Obada                           DE

Bryan Cox Jr.                      DE

Harrison Phillips                DT

Justin Zimmer*                 DT

Vernon Butler                    DT

Levi Wallace                       CB

Edited by Spartacus
  • Like 2

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 hours ago, Ann said:

over.jpg.f3841a2ed9abc39a3996100759338ea9.jpg

Why can't they just adopt the Pats' cap management strategy: lie about it and have the league blindly accept it.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Cheers 1