Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Official 2022 Salary Cap Thread

Alaska Darin

15 hours ago, Foxx said:

I wonder what/how Magic Beane got us far enough under the cap to afford Von today. 

We started the off season, what... $6mm over the cap, wasn't it?

I'm wondering where we are at this point, Spotrac hasn't update the active cap data for Jones, Miller, Settle, and Howard.  The dead cap has been updated.  The salary seems like it can be easily manipulated if you have a GM that knows how, and Beane knows how to do that.

11 minutes ago, Core Four said:

I'm wondering where we are at this point, Spotrac hasn't update the active cap data for Jones, Miller, Settle, and Howard.  The dead cap has been updated.  The salary seems like it can be easily manipulated if you have a GM that knows how, and Beane knows how to do that.

Before Beasly just got released, I read that we were right up against the cap. I don't know that we'll know for sure for sometime though.

8 minutes ago, Core Four said:

It is almost like the cap is a fake thing.

• Wow 1

4 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Before Beasly just got released, I read that we were right up against the cap. I don't know that we'll know for sure for sometime though.

Looks like Hughes and Addison were released, so that helped a bunch.  With the DT signings, the writing is on the wall that Star will be released, though probably post 6/1 or retirement.  That will be a minimum $4M net savings in 2022.

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

It's real, but can be worked around.  Look at the Saints, they were around $60M over the cap last year.  

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
23 minutes ago, snafu said:

It's almost like most forms of accounting are a fake thing.  

I think the NFL uses DOD accounting practices for the salary cap.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 3

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

I think the NFL uses DOD accounting practices for the salary cap.

Most people have no idea how accurate/funny this really is.

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Most people have no idea how accurate/funny this really is.

Most wouldn't understand how much funnier it is to extend the metaphor and call the Pats "Lockheed-Martin."  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Even more amazing when the fake accounting drives real decisions, and people choose prettier bookkeeping over cash.

6 minutes ago, Hedge said:

The salary cap is expected to rise significantly next year as well, so it may be a matter of wanting to have the ability to add free agents next year too.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

The salary cap is expected to rise significantly next year as well, so it may be a matter of wanting to have the ability to add free agents next year too.

Or just resign guys like Phillips/Howard/etc.

• Cheers 1

Alaska Darin
6 hours ago, Ann said:

With the dead cap money it looks like he's here at least four years. I'd say five, but who knows how high the cap will be in 2026? Could be that $9M isn't terrible to eat.

dead.jpg.83e13011d14e630f6b436c21f5a8e2e1.jpg

They could post June 1st him after the 3rd year and it drops to $4.5M per.  Given the cap is likely to be $50M higher than it is this season...it's of no concern.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ann said:

With the dead cap money it looks like he's here at least four years. I'd say five, but who knows how high the cap will be in 2026? Could be that $9M isn't terrible to eat.

dead.jpg.83e13011d14e630f6b436c21f5a8e2e1.jpg

This differs from what Spotrac has listed.  The Bills could cut him post 6/1 in 2025 for minimal penalty.

image.thumb.png.41ca30a511d4b6b0a7188f78adc853c1.png

• Like 1