Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

The Official 2022 Salary Cap Thread

Alaska Darin

2 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

it will depend on the AAV for the length of the contract.

not likely to match a 4 yr 24 mil contact = 6 mil AAV

could decide to move money to cover 6 mil for 2022 if the overall value fits their valuation.

what can they add from the draft (and when) will ultimately drive their decision

I don't think Beane will match $6M AAV for Bates.  He is most likely gone.

51 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

it will depend on the AAV for the length of the contract.

not likely to match a 4 yr 24 mil contact = 6 mil AAV

could decide to move money to cover 6 mil for 2022 if the overall value fits their valuation.

what can they add from the draft (and when) will ultimately drive their decision

They could frontload it making it impossible for the Bills to match?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ann said:

They could frontload it making it impossible for the Bills to match?

nothing is impossible

if the AAV for the deal is at or below what the Bills have allocated over that period for Bates

and they feel he is an important fit

they move money from later years from some players to 2022.

Overall, nothing changes in their cap plan as they simply moved money to 2002 and reduced the same in a later year.

obviously, the Bills put a low tender on Bates indicating they do have a limit on his valuation 

1 hour ago, Core Four said:

It would be good, but it doesn't look like he will be back.  Bates just signed an agreement/intent with the Bears where the Bills can match the offer.  The Bears have a lot of cap space and will overpay Bates to the point it wouldn't make sense for the Bills to match.

Oline will continue to be a position of need since we are thin at G and T.  I would expect multiple draft picks for the oline, as well as CB, which is another area of need.

If we aren't able to retain him, I guess the silver lining is that it won't be the Patriots who signed him.

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

If we aren't able to retain him, I guess the silver lining is that it won't be the Patriots who signed him.

They could have extended Bates if they wanted to.  I don't think Kromer is sold on him.

I don't think the Patriots are going to be the threat they once were anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

there you go

done deal -  Dawkins is getting a pay cut

You spelled 5th year option picked up wrong.

1 hour ago, Ann said:

guess.jpg.869b3cfc02b3ae7a037ab5c009a39968.jpg

My understanding was that only Deshaun Watson,  facing a possible suspension, was the only one to reduce current salary to such minimal levels

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Imagine this off season if Ralph was still with us.....

You don't have BB or SMD.  Ralph got coaches from the scrap heap (with the exception of Knox and his attempted courtship of Cower, who wisely turned him down).

Crap Throwing Clavin
2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

You don't have BB or SMD.  Ralph got coaches from the scrap heap 

Yes, even Marv.

RochesterRob
1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

You don't have BB or SMD.  Ralph got coaches from the scrap heap (with the exception of Knox and his attempted courtship of Cower, who wisely turned him down).

I would beg to differ considering we had Lou Saban.  It was not Lou's fault that Ralph refused to get the few pieces needed to go toe to toe with the Steelers.  Marv was not a great coach in hind sight but he was the calming influence to massage a lot of egos including Smerlas and Bruce Smith.  I'm not sure that we make the 1988 AFC CG or the SB with somebody else.