Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

Olympic Games are you watching?

mead107

I don't plan to watch.  I do like watching curling.  It's soothing.  I might tune in to the Canadian hockey team to watch our prospects.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snafu said:

I don't plan to watch.  I do like watching curling.  It's soothing.  I might tune in to the Canadian hockey team to watch our prospects.

I watched live doubles curling last night. I love hearing women yell at men about how hard to broom!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Been watching them a bit.

Not as into them as usual.  Prefer this one to the summer Olympics- hockey, curling, bobsled, luge, ski jump, grand slalom, biathlon, downhill, short track speed skating - sooooo many good events.

But the backdrop of having them held in the nation that gave us COVID while politicians are still removing freedoms is off-putting.

• Like 3

I watched it (as I always do) but it was the most meh Olympics I can remember.  The weather (below zero temps and bad wind) really affected the ski events and that was a huge bummer.

There's almost no point to playing men's hockey if you're not bringing NHL players.  I was pretty happy to see Owen Power not look completely out of place.

Oh, and who else was really surprised the Russians were at the center of a doping scandal?  :classic_dry:

Ouch:

NBC's China Olympics were a ratings DISASTER

"China's blatant disregard of human rights added a repulsive element to this year’s festivities."

</snip>

According to the Associated Press, through Tuesday, an average of 12.2 million watched the Olympics in primetime on NBC, cable, or its Peacock streaming service, a 42-percent dip from the 2018 Winter Olympics in Seoul, South Korea.

"Only 10 million watched NBC alone, a 47-percent drop from 2018, and through early last week, it was down 57 percent in the critical 25-54 age demographic from the Seoul games," Fox News reported, noting the Super Bowl viewership boost NBC got from airing the Olympics right after the network aired the game.

</snip>

• FANtastic 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
5 minutes ago, Ann said:

Ouch:

NBC's China Olympics were a ratings DISASTER

"China's blatant disregard of human rights added a repulsive element to this year’s festivities."

</snip>

According to the Associated Press, through Tuesday, an average of 12.2 million watched the Olympics in primetime on NBC, cable, or its Peacock streaming service, a 42-percent dip from the 2018 Winter Olympics in Seoul, South Korea.

"Only 10 million watched NBC alone, a 47-percent drop from 2018, and through early last week, it was down 57 percent in the critical 25-54 age demographic from the Seoul games," Fox News reported, noting the Super Bowl viewership boost NBC got from airing the Olympics right after the network aired the game.

</snip>

Slate said NBC's TV ratings didn't take into account metrics from viwers watching on social media or streaming services, but acknowledged how "China's blatant disregard of human rights added a repulsive element to this year’s festivities."

Slate's insane.  No one outside Slate's little self-reinforcing idiot-bubble is saying to themselves "These Olympics are awful, because Uyghur's are in camps!"  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Alaska Darin

The US men's sled hockey team in the Paralympics was unbelievable, winning the gold medal and outscoring their opponents 30-1 during the tournament.

Thomas Walsh's story is pretty amazing...and Oksana Masters is incredible.

On 2/23/2022 at 3:35 PM, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Slate's insane.  No one outside Slate's little self-reinforcing idiot-bubble is saying to themselves "These Olympics are awful, because Uyghur's are in camps!"  

This.

People don’t watch the Olympics for a variety of reasons, but China’s record on human rights is nowhere on that list.

To me the signature event of the Winter games is the men’s downhill.  Didn’t see a single run, didn’t hear a single word about it.

But I heard plenty about the ‘mixed team Super G combined’ or whatever other new crap they added this year.