Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills Draft Thread

KD in CA

Mocks seem to be trending toward CB in the first round, but while that's a need I still think an impact player on the front 7 is more important.

Bills picks as of now:

Round  Selection  Notes

1    25   Bills original selection

2    57   Bills original selection

3    89   Bills original selection

4  126   Bills original selection

5  166   Bills original selection

6  184   Acquired from Carolina for Darryl Johnson

6  203   Bills original selection

7  228   Acquired from Atlanta for Lee Smith

7  243   Bills original selection

• Like 2
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Thanks for starting the thread KD

Are we eligible for any compensatory picks also ?

if frazier gets a HC gig

• Like 1

Just to get some discussion going, here are names slotted for the Bills at #25 in current mock drafts:

Daxton Hill, CB, Michigan  (CBS)

Drake London, WR, USC    (CBS)

Kenyon Green, OL, Texas A&M   (CBS)

Chris Olave, WR, OSU     (TankaThon)

Damone Clark, LB, LSU    (Walter Football)

Nakobe Dean, ILB, Georgia  (Drafttek)

Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson (Lines)

Mocks seem to consistently have Jordan Davis gone by #25, but if he managed to fall to us that would be terrific.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Just to get some discussion going, here are names slotted for the Bills at #25 in current mock drafts:

Daxton Hill, CB, Michigan  (CBS)

Drake London, WR, USC    (CBS)

Kenyon Green, OL, Texas A&M   (CBS)

Chris Olave, WR, OSU     (TankaThon)

Damone Clark, LB, LSU    (Walter Football)

Nakobe Dean, ILB, Georgia  (Drafttek)

Andrew Booth, CB, Clemson (Lines)

Mocks seem to consistently have Jordan Davis gone by #25, but if he managed to fall to us that would be terrific.

Who is Jordan Davis? 

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Who is Jordan Davis? 

UGA DT who should be drafted by the Bills to replace Star.  Probably the best DT in the draft and would be a starter/difference maker right away.  Mocks have him going around 20 to the Steelers.  We might have to trade up if we really want him.

Edited by Core Four

7 hours ago, Core Four said:

UGA DT who should be drafted by the Bills to replace Star.  Probably the best DT in the draft and would be a starter/difference maker right away.  Mocks have him going around 20 to the Steelers.  We might have to trade up if we really want him.

He's certainly an intriguing prospect. The one thing that scares me about him he talked about how he hated football up until very recently. There's no substitute for talent, but if you're really not into it you likely won't live up to the talent.

Most important players to re-sign:

Bates

Phillips

McKenzie

Team needs (assuming the above happens)

OL: Mitch Morse is getting on in years, and Williams is overpaid and under-performing

WR: Diggs is the #1, and you could argue Gabe Davis is ready for the #2 spot. That leaves McKenzie and Beasley to compete for the #3 spot. No major needs here, assuming you're comfortable with Davis as your #2.

QB: With Mitch Trubisky likely departing in free agency, backup QB could become a need.

DL: Hopefully Hughes and Addison are on their way out, so the Bills would benefit from a good DE. Oliver and Phillips would be the starting 3 tech and 1 tech DTs, and both those guys are quality players. With Star hopefully leaving, the Bills would require a new backup 1 tech DT behind Phillips

LB: I realize there's been a lot of frustration with the Bills' LB situation, and rightly so. That said, the Bills are going to continue playing in a 4-2-5 as their base, and Edmunds and Milano will continue to be their starters. Things at LB will probably stay much the same as they are now, unless a change in defensive coaching staff is made.

DB: Poyer and Hyde are a great safety combination. White is a good #1 corner. #2 CB may need to be addressed, either in the draft or free agency.

Draft

Round 1: DE. Adds a good pass rusher to the defense, helps replace Hughes and Addison.

Round 2: CB. Hopefully will become the #2 CB.

Round 3: OG. Replaces Williams.

Round 4: 1 tech DT. Replaces Star as the backup/rotational 1 tech DT.

Round 5: WR. Receives the roster spot of Sanders.

Rounds 6 - 7: Best player available.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robs House said:

He's certainly an intriguing prospect. The one thing that scares me about him he talked about how he hated football up until very recently. There's no substitute for talent, but if you're really not into it you likely won't live up to the talent.

That's interesting and a good point.  Don't need another Marcel Darius, talent-wise we do, but the guy needs to have his priorities straight.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

OL: Mitch Morse is getting on in years, and Williams is overpaid and under-performing

This year isn't very good for C.  It would seem possible that Beane re-works Morse's contract which extends him into 2023, so he would be here a year longer and most likely cheaper than what he currently is.  I think they get rid of Williams and draft another G.  Probably find Morse's replacement in the 2023 draft.

8 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

DL: Hopefully Hughes and Addison are on their way out, so the Bills would benefit from a good DE. Oliver and Phillips would be the starting 3 tech and 1 tech DTs, and both those guys are quality players. With Star hopefully leaving, the Bills would require a new backup 1 tech DT behind Phillips

Have to somewhat disagree with this post regarding the 1T spot.  You indicate that Harry is good enough for the 1T spot and only needs a backup/rotation piece.  I think we need a new 1TDT and Harry is the backup/rotation guy.  I like Harry, but he's not the run-stuffer that we need in the middle of the line, nor does he push the G and C back.  I'd love to see McD and Beane are serious about getting Jordan Davis, or someone in that mold.  Stupidly relying on Star to fill that role has been futile, overall.  

DE could be a position of need: AJE, Groot, Basham are all back.  Do they bring Obada back?  I'm tired of hearing about Mike Love on the PS/being promoted to the 53/then PS...that guy won't do anything.  Addison and Hughes are gone, they aren't worth $10M/year.  So there could be a spot to fill there.

Edited by Core Four
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Core Four said:

This year isn't very good for C.  It would seem possible that Beane re-works Morse's contract which extends him into 2023, so he would be here a year longer and most likely cheaper than what he currently is.  I think they get rid of Williams and draft another G.  Probably find Morse's replacement in the 2023 draft.

Have to somewhat disagree with this post regarding the 1T spot.  You indicate that Harry is good enough for the 1T spot and only needs a backup/rotation piece.  I think we need a new 1TDT and Harry is the backup/rotation guy.  I like Harry, but he's not the run-stuffer that we need in the middle of the line, nor does he push the G and C back.  I'd love to see McD and Beane are serious about getting Jordan Davis, or someone in that mold.  Stupidly relying on Star to fill that role has been futile, overall.  

DE could be a position of need: AJE, Groot, Basham are all back.  Do they bring Obada back?  I'm tired of hearing about Mike Love on the PS/being promoted to the 53/then PS...that guy won't do anything.  Addison and Hughes are gone, they aren't worth $10M/year.  So there could be a spot to fill there.

You make good points. I’ve thought of several ways in which the Bills could use their first round pick:

DE: hopefully gives them a very good pass rusher.

1 tech DT: if a guy like Jordan Davis plays as well in the NFL as he has in college, he’d be a significant upgrade to Harrison Phillips. The red flag with him is his comment about having hated football until recently.

CB: it would be nice to have a very good #2 CB.

OL: Is it a good idea to use a late first round pick on an interior OL? Yes, if you get the right player. 

Trade out of the pick, potentially for a 2nd this year and 1st next year. 

Which of these options should the Bills select? At the end of the day the goal is to get a really good football player, who will be with the team a long time. So, you look at the various courses of action available to you, and you select the one which you think gives you the best chance of getting that long-term impact player. If two players are roughly equal in their player grades, then you look at the depth of the draft, and maybe take the guy who’s at the less deep position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arm of Harm said:

You make good points. I’ve thought of several ways in which the Bills could use their first round pick:

DE: hopefully gives them a very good pass rusher.

1 tech DT: if a guy like Jordan Davis plays as well in the NFL as he has in college, he’d be a significant upgrade to Harrison Phillips. The red flag with him is his comment about having hated football until recently.

CB: it would be nice to have a very good #2 CB.

OL: Is it a good idea to use a late first round pick on an interior OL? Yes, if you get the right player. 

Trade out of the pick, potentially for a 2nd this year and 1st next year. 

Which of these options should the Bills select? At the end of the day the goal is to get a really good football player, who will be with the team a long time. So, you look at the various courses of action available to you, and you select the one which you think gives you the best chance of getting that long-term impact player. If two players are roughly equal in their player grades, then you look at the depth of the draft, and maybe take the guy who’s at the less deep position. 

This all makes sense.  The thing I don't like about a CB in the first round is that they typically aren't difference makers.  Some people may strongly disagree with that statement, but the way the rules are slanted heavily toward the offense and WR, to me it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of capital (draft and money) on CBs.  Games are not won in the backfield if the QB has all day.  The successful teams have a stout front 4 - 7 that get to the QB.  I think with Ed O coming on as well as the weakness we have shown in run stopping, I'd love to get a big 1T.  Your point about Jordan Davis is one to consider, guy's heart has to be in it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Core Four said:

This all makes sense.  The thing I don't like about a CB in the first round is that they typically aren't difference makers.  Some people may strongly disagree with that statement, but the way the rules are slanted heavily toward the offense and WR, to me it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of capital (draft and money) on CBs.  Games are not won in the backfield if the QB has all day.  The successful teams have a stout front 4 - 7 that get to the QB.  I think with Ed O coming on as well as the weakness we have shown in run stopping, I'd love to get a big 1T.  Your point about Jordan Davis is one to consider, guy's heart has to be in it.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and have mixed feelings about the rest of it.

Take a guy like Tom Brady. He would often get the ball out in well under two seconds. I don't care how good your DL is, you're not stopping a guy like that with a pass rush alone. In the Giants' two Super Bowl wins over Brady, they stopped him with coverage. In the second half of the AFC Championship Game, the Bengals stopped Mahomes with coverage.

The next question worth asking is: if you're picking a CB in the first, is he going to be enough better than a Dane Jackson-type player to justify the use of the first round pick? I think the answer to that question is, yes he will be enough better, if two things happen. 1) He needs to be a good football player, worthy of the draft spot in which he was taken. 2) He needs to be in a defensive scheme which allows him to put his talents to use.

We know Tre White to be a good player. We also know he accomplished very little in last year's AFC Championship Game against KC. Good player, terrible defensive game plan and scheme. The Bills should be more focused on winning games against the Chiefs or Bengals in the postseason, than on winning an extra game here or there in the regular season. If the Bills use their 1st round pick on a CB, and if they meet the Chiefs in the playoffs, and if Frazier once again employs a contain/soft zone game plan, that 1st round CB will not help the Bills much more than Dane Jackson would have. However, if you were to give that exact same 1st round CB to the Bengals, I'm sure their defensive coordinator would accomplish plenty with him. 

If Jordan Davis will play as well in the NFL as he has in college, adding him to the defense would be huge. Davis as the starter, Phillips as the backup/rotational player. You think about games where the Bills couldn't stop the run, such as the Titans game or the Colts game or the loss to the Patriots. Davis would change that dynamic significantly. Then on passing downs, having him absorb double teams while hopefully getting to the quarterback would make a real difference. I'd be thrilled to trade up for a player like that, at least assuming they're able to put the "hated football" concerns to rest.

In general I want to see first round picks used to add difference-makers. If a guy is a defensive player, we need to ask the question: "Can he be a difference maker, in Frazier's defense, when playing against the Chiefs?" If the answer to that is yes, go ahead and draft him!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and have mixed feelings about the rest of it.

Take a guy like Tom Brady. He would often get the ball out in well under two seconds. I don't care how good your DL is, you're not stopping a guy like that with a pass rush alone. In the Giants' two Super Bowl wins over Brady, they stopped him with coverage. In the second half of the AFC Championship Game, the Bengals stopped Mahomes with coverage.

The next question worth asking is: if you're picking a CB in the first, is he going to be enough better than a Dane Jackson-type player to justify the use of the first round pick? I think the answer to that question is, yes he will be enough better, if two things happen. 1) He needs to be a good football player, worthy of the draft spot in which he was taken. 2) He needs to be in a defensive scheme which allows him to put his talents to use.

We know Tre White to be a good player. We also know he accomplished very little in last year's AFC Championship Game against KC. Good player, terrible defensive game plan and scheme. The Bills should be more focused on winning games against the Chiefs or Bengals in the postseason, than on winning an extra game here or there in the regular season. If the Bills use their 1st round pick on a CB, and if they meet the Chiefs in the playoffs, and if Frazier once again employs a contain/soft zone game plan, that 1st round CB will not help the Bills much more than Dane Jackson would have. However, if you were to give that exact same 1st round CB to the Bengals, I'm sure their defensive coordinator would accomplish plenty with him. 

If Jordan Davis will play as well in the NFL as he has in college, adding him to the defense would be huge. Davis as the starter, Phillips as the backup/rotational player. You think about games where the Bills couldn't stop the run, such as the Titans game or the Colts game or the loss to the Patriots. Davis would change that dynamic significantly. Then on passing downs, having him absorb double teams while hopefully getting to the quarterback would make a real difference. I'd be thrilled to trade up for a player like that, at least assuming they're able to put the "hated football" concerns to rest.

In general I want to see first round picks used to add difference-makers. If a guy is a defensive player, we need to ask the question: "Can he be a difference maker, in Frazier's defense, when playing against the Chiefs?" If the answer to that is yes, go ahead and draft him!

You make good points, as usual.  I get what you're saying -- there has to be a wholistic approach where the DBs and scheme supplements the DL and scheme.  You do need good players in each spot, but just as important, you need a good scheme in each spot.  I believe we have some good players, some that need to be upgraded, and a defensive scheme that needs to be overhauled.  That is probably the #1 problem.

I agree with you that Tre White probably wouldn't have made a difference in the Divisional round game, probably like TJ Watt wouldn't have made enough of a difference if he was playing for us given Frazier's scheme.  In this draft, I would like to see the 1TDT, CB2, and MLB spots upgraded.  Of course, I want to see the DC upgraded, but unfortunately the draft won't take care of that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Core Four said:

You make good points, as usual.  I get what you're saying -- there has to be a wholistic approach where the DBs and scheme supplements the DL and scheme.  You do need good players in each spot, but just as important, you need a good scheme in each spot.  I believe we have some good players, some that need to be upgraded, and a defensive scheme that needs to be overhauled.  That is probably the #1 problem.

I agree with you that Tre White probably wouldn't have made a difference in the Divisional round game, probably like TJ Watt wouldn't have made enough of a difference if he was playing for us given Frazier's scheme.  In this draft, I would like to see the 1TDT, CB2, and MLB spots upgraded.  Of course, I want to see the DC upgraded, but unfortunately the draft won't take care of that.

The Bills' front office and coaching staff appear to regard Edmunds in a far more favorable light than do most fans. Why is that? Obviously, Beane and McDermott know football. But a lot of the fans voicing criticism of Edmunds know football too. It would be easy, but incorrect, to claim this difference in perspectives arose due to someone's ignorance or lack of knowledge.

I've given it some thought and here's what I've come up with. Let's say you decide to run a 4-2-5. And let's say you often want to use your MLB as though he's another safety. I'm not actually sure why you'd actually want to use this approach, but bear with me. If this is what you're doing on defense, clearly you're going to need an athletic MLB. Edmunds gives you that athleticism.

You could certainly point to guys who are worse athletes than Edmunds but better football players. Guys with better instincts, better situational awareness. Guys who are better at shedding blocks. Better football players yes, but not necessarily better in Frazier's scheme. Because that scheme requires a very athletic MLB, for coverage.

I'm guessing the dream MLB, for both McDermott and Frazier, is Kuechly. If the next Kuechly is on the board when the Bills pick then yeah, there's a strong chance they move on from Edmunds. Barring that, it's likely they stay with Edmunds, on the theory that Edmunds has athleticism few other MLBs can match. It's very unlikely the Bills obtain an upgrade at MLB, unless they first obtain an upgrade at defensive coordinator.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1