Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills Draft Thread

KD in CA

15 hours ago, Arm of Harm said:

Take a guy like Tom Brady. He would often get the ball out in well under two seconds. I don't care how good your DL is, you're not stopping a guy like that with a pass rush alone. In the Giants' two Super Bowl wins over Brady, they stopped him with coverage. In the second half of the AFC Championship Game, the Bengals stopped Mahomes with coverage.

The Bills' coverage was pretty good most of the game against KC (the 13 seconds notwithstanding).  Mahomes had several plays where he had to dance around the backfield because everyone was covered.  It happened enough times that if they'd gotten him once or twice it really might have made the difference in the outcome.  The problem was that while the pass rush was getting close, they couldn't get him down and the coverage couldn't hold up forever.

The Bills D-Line's pass rush is "pretty good", and they run defend "okay".  The safeties help the cornerbacks a lot, and it makes for a pretty good backfield.  Good enough that the focus should be more on the front seven.  

The Bills need to find the position in the front seven that's traditionally most expensive and make him the first round pick.  Either that, or choose a future Left Tackle.  Need to take advantage of that fifth year because our QB is going to be taking up a lot of salary cap money pretty soon.

15 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

I'm guessing the dream MLB, for both McDermott and Frazier, is Kuechly. If the next Kuechly is on the board when the Bills pick then yeah, there's a strong chance they move on from Edmunds. Barring that, it's likely they stay with Edmunds, on the theory that Edmunds has athleticism few other MLBs can match. It's very unlikely the Bills obtain an upgrade at MLB, unless they first obtain an upgrade at defensive coordinator.

I think Frazier and McD were so enamored with Edmunds' physical characteristics, they felt that they had to draft him...instincts be damned, and IIRC that was a knock on Edmunds during his draft.  From what I can tell, Keuchly and Edmunds are very different types of LBs with very different physical attributes.  Edmunds is a tall, athletic guy who can't make a big play but can run all over the field.  Keuchly is shorter, maybe a little less athletic, who has much better instincts.  So the defense that Carolina ran vs what Frazier is running is a bit different; it has to be given the MLB.

Assuming Frazier is the DC, I expect the same scheme with Edmunds back at MLB, only with a new contract; I don't think Beane wants to pay $12M in 2022 for Edmunds.  Frazier and McD are stubborn and I would be shocked if they learned from the KC Divisional game embarrassment.  

11 minutes ago, snafu said:

The Bills' coverage was pretty good most of the game against KC (the 13 seconds notwithstanding).  Mahomes had several plays where he had to dance around the backfield because everyone was covered.  It happened enough times that if they'd gotten him once or twice it really might have made the difference in the outcome.  The problem was that while the pass rush was getting close, they couldn't get him down and the coverage couldn't hold up forever.

The Bills D-Line's pass rush is "pretty good", and they run defend "okay".  The safeties help the cornerbacks a lot, and it makes for a pretty good backfield.  Good enough that the focus should be more on the front seven.  

The Bills need to find the position in the front seven that's traditionally most expensive and make him the first round pick.  Either that, or choose a future Left Tackle.  Need to take advantage of that fifth year because our QB is going to be taking up a lot of salary cap money pretty soon.

Not sure how the Bills coverage could be considered anywhere near good.  KC only punted twice in the game, once in the first half, once in the second half.  Mahomes threw for about 380 yards.

8 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Not sure how the Bills coverage could be considered anywhere near good.  KC only punted twice in the game, once in the first half, once in the second half.  Mahomes threw for about 380 yards.

I know what he did.

He had all day to throw because none of the defensive linemen could bring him down -- although they got close many times.  The reason why Mahomes had to scurrying around the backfield so long (or scramble) was exactly because he couldn't find anyone open.  Can't cover people forever.

43 minutes ago, snafu said:

I know what he did.

He had all day to throw because none of the defensive linemen could bring him down -- although they got close many times.  The reason why Mahomes had to scurrying around the backfield so long (or scramble) was exactly because he couldn't find anyone open.  Can't cover people forever.

Yeah, not being able to tackle was definitely a big problem.  The whole team had that problem.  If the DL could have brought Mahomes down just a couple of times, that may have made a difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Core Four said:

If the DL could have brought Mahomes down just a couple of times, that may have made a difference.

Or not let Mahomes escape in the middle of the field.

🤔

Geometric question, who is the MLB in a 4 - 2 alignment?

7 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

Or not let Mahomes escape in the middle of the field.

🤔

Geometric question, who is the MLB in a 4 - 2 alignment?

Supposedly Milano and Edmunds essentially do the same type of job in the nickel package; both end up being big DBs.  Edmunds still makes the defensive gap calls up front.

Crap Throwing Clavin
28 minutes ago, Core Four said:

Edmunds still makes the defensive gap calls up front.

Odd, given the Whoopi-Goldberg-looking mother&#%$er couldn't hit the right gap if his life depended on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Odd, given the Whoopi-Goldberg-looking mother&#%$er couldn't hit the right gap if his life depended on it.

Those who can’t do, teach. 

On 2/6/2022 at 4:36 PM, Core Four said:

This all makes sense.  The thing I don't like about a CB in the first round is that they typically aren't difference makers.  Some people may strongly disagree with that statement, but the way the rules are slanted heavily toward the offense and WR, to me it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of capital (draft and money) on CBs.  Games are not won in the backfield if the QB has all day.  The successful teams have a stout front 4 - 7 that get to the QB.  I think with Ed O coming on as well as the weakness we have shown in run stopping, I'd love to get a big 1T.  Your point about Jordan Davis is one to consider, guy's heart has to be in it.

sounds to me like his agent had him float that thought to get him to drop in the draft past some of the NFL bottom feeders to reach a more preferred destination 

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

sounds to me like his agent had him float that thought to get him to drop in the draft past some of the NFL bottom feeders to reach a more preferred destination 

Highly doubt this.  If an agent "floats" some sort of negative news so his client will not get drafted by bottom feeders, why would a better team draft that player?  Wouldn't everyone stay away until the 4th or 5th round, at least?

On 2/6/2022 at 1:43 AM, Robs House said:

He's certainly an intriguing prospect. The one thing that scares me about him he talked about how he hated football up until very recently. There's no substitute for talent, but if you're really not into it you likely won't live up to the talent.

See: Big Puff, Rear Admiral

1 hour ago, Ann said:

That seems pretty good, considering what I’d wanted the Bills to do with their first three picks. I’d wanted those picks to go to 1) a DE, 2) #2 CB, and 3) interior OL. 

That said the last thing I want to see the Bills do is get locked in to any particular position. Back in 2006 Marv was locked in to the idea of using his first two picks on a SS and a DT, but not necessarily in that order. He wound up taking Donte Whitner and John McCargo in the first. Near total waste of valuable picks. At the end of the day you want to draft the best possible football player, even if he’s maybe at a position you hadn’t planned to address with an early pick. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

That seems pretty good, considering what I’d wanted the Bills to do with their first three picks. I’d wanted those picks to go to 1) a DE, 2) #2 CB, and 3) interior OL. 

That said the last thing I want to see the Bills do is get locked in to any particular position. Back in 2006 Marv was locked in to the idea of using his first two picks on a SS and a DT, but not necessarily in that order. He wound up taking Donte Whitner and John McCargo in the first. Near total waste of valuable picks. At the end of the day you want to draft the best possible football player, even if he’s maybe at a position you hadn’t planned to address with an early pick. 

This is pretty much what the current PROFESSIONAL football front office does. Rarely if ever was it followed by previous regimes.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, Arm of Harm said:

By most reports, that was Dick Jauron;  Marv Levy really didn't have the role of what most think of in a GM.  Jauron also came up with the gem of Aaron Maybin.  Just an aside to the good point you made in your post, which Beane doesn't seem to fall into the "needs" trap.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1