Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Bills Draft Thread

KD in CA

Joe lets his dislike for Singletary cloud every article he writes on RB.

Under Beane's roster building model, he will spend 3rd or 4th on a RB and fill with cheap retreads

More likely, in the 1st -Beane will find the CB they need, which is more important than just a #2 CB, as Tre will be missing for quite a while. 

https://theathletic.com/3205471/2022/03/24/bills-7-round-post-free-agency-mock-draft-a-running-back-before-a-wide-receiver-or-cornerback/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Round 1, No. 25: Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State

When most think about adding firepower to the Bills offense, the first impulse is to go with a receiver. That does make sense, though there may not be a better short-term and long-term fit for an offensive playmaker than Breece Hall. Wide receivers Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis have two years remaining on their contracts, which makes it less of a need. But running back Devin Singletary is in the final year of his rookie deal.

Singletary stepped up late last season, but he doesn’t have the complete, dynamic skill set the Bills may covet. And they’ll have to pay Singletary pretty well to stick around in 2023.

Edited by Spartacus
  • Cheers 1

Deranged Rhino
5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

So the other day I had a catch-up call with a Rochester sports guy who I used to intern for. On the call we get to talking Bills, he mentions that he thinks the Bills are much higher on Breece Hall than people might assume. I didn't think much of it. Then today, both the Athletic and NFL Network mocks have the Bills going Hall at 25. 

Reminds me of what we heard last year at this time about Etienne. 

I understand the logic of taking Hall at 25. He's a stud, Singletary is on his last year and won't come back cheap (or as cheap as a rookie), their move for McKissic shows they're unsettled at the spot, yada yada yada. But I don't buy it. I think it's all smoke, and I think someone (or multiple someones) inside OBD let that "rumor" out early this week to a few sports journalists. 

Not that they're lying to these journalists. The Bills probably have Hall ranked as the best RB on their board, like they did with Etienne last year - but I also think the team knows they're not going RB in round 1 or 2, so it's a safe thing to leak. 

Still, when I see these highlights (he runs very well out of the gun), I can't help but swoon a bit. Dude is a monster: 

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

Man, he is a decisive guy.  Sees the hole and just drives through it.  He has excellent vision and reads defender momentum very well.

I do not like that he doesn't move the ball to his right hand when he runs that way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alaska Darin said:

Man, he is a decisive guy.  Sees the hole and just drives through it.  He has excellent vision and reads defender momentum very well.

I do not like that he doesn't move the ball to his right hand when he runs that way. 

He runs through the hole like he is smaller. Love.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin

The reason the Giants wanna trade out this year is there aren't many "freaks" in this draft.  It's a deep draft but the difference between pick 7 and pick 70 isn't as big as it normally is. 

It's an interesting thought to get basically get a player a year earlier, though losing an additional second to do it makes little sense.  I doubt the Giants are all that interested in getting Buffalo's first next season because it's going to be way later than 7, so there has to be a price paid.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

57 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

What say the draftniks here? Trade next year's #1 to the Giants to move up, and keep this year's #1?

So basically swap 1sts and give'm a 2nd and 3rd. Discounting valuation I'm not doing that.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Alaska Darin
6 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

So basically swap 1sts and give'm a 2nd and 3rd. Discounting valuation I'm not doing that.

I'm only doing it if there's a player I really covet at 7.  I'm not sure this draft contains "that" guy. 

Beane has openly stated he doesn't like trading early picks, so I would be pretty surprised if the BILLS pulled the trigger on this opportunity.

38 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

I'm only doing it if there's a player I really covet at 7.  I'm not sure this draft contains "that" guy. 

Beane has openly stated he doesn't like trading early picks, so I would be pretty surprised if the BILLS pulled the trigger on this opportunity.

what if they also threw in Saquan to dump his salary 

Alaska Darin
2 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

what if they also threw in Saquan to dump his salary 

Everything's a situation...but I don't know if there's enough cap gymnastics left to pull that off.

• Like 1

Crap Throwing Clavin
3 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Or if I'm sure there's a moron who would trade their later first and a second or couple other picks to move up to 7.  

Doesn't look like there's any GMs that stupid below 7 this year, though.

• Like 1

Alaska Darin
1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

Or if I'm sure there's a moron who would trade their later first and a second or couple other picks to move up to 7.  

Doesn't look like there's any GMs that stupid below 7 this year, though.

They've talked about it quite a bit on the various FB things I watch.  Numerous teams wanna move down/compile picks but so far there appears to be zero interest in doing anything.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 3/24/2022 at 11:45 AM, Spartacus said:

Joe lets his dislike for Singletary cloud every article he writes on RB.

Under Beane's roster building model, he will spend 3rd or 4th on a RB and fill with cheap retreads

More likely, in the 1st -Beane will find the CB they need, which is more important than just a #2 CB, as Tre will be missing for quite a while. 

https://theathletic.com/3205471/2022/03/24/bills-7-round-post-free-agency-mock-draft-a-running-back-before-a-wide-receiver-or-cornerback/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Round 1, No. 25: Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State

When most think about adding firepower to the Bills offense, the first impulse is to go with a receiver. That does make sense, though there may not be a better short-term and long-term fit for an offensive playmaker than Breece Hall. Wide receivers Stefon Diggs and Gabriel Davis have two years remaining on their contracts, which makes it less of a need. But running back Devin Singletary is in the final year of his rookie deal.

Singletary stepped up late last season, but he doesn’t have the complete, dynamic skill set the Bills may covet. And they’ll have to pay Singletary pretty well to stick around in 2023.

A RB in the first round?  Joe B is a moron and I have no idea why anyone listens to him.  Can't believe The Athletic charges money for that foolishness.  There is a .00001% chance a RB is taken in the first round by Beane.

Also, why would Singletary demand a high salary after his rookie deal is done?  He hasn't done anything that would require Buffalo (or any other team) to pay top dollar for him.  Just bad analysis by Joe B, which is the usual from what I've seen from him.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Core Four said:

A RB in the first round?  Joe B is a moron and I have no idea why anyone listens to him.  Can't believe The Athletic charges money for that foolishness.  There is a .00001% chance a RB is taken in the first round by Beane.

Also, why would Singletary demand a high salary after his rookie deal is done?  He hasn't done anything that would require Buffalo (or any other team) to pay top dollar for him.  Just bad analysis by Joe B, which is the usual from what I've seen from him.

Myself personally, I went from wanting an upgrade at the RB position two seasons ago to feeling like Buffalo got an upgrade at the RB position. Devin Singletary upgraded himself as he continues to grow in the process.  

Upgrading the Oline is key...

• Like 5