Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

What do the Bills need to improve upon the most to be in the Super Bowl next year?

Core Four

What do the Bills need to improve upon the most to be in the Super Bowl next year?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What is the area(s) you think needs the most attention this off-season? You can make multiple choices.

• Wide Receiver
    • Offensive Line
    • Defensive Line
    • Defensive Backfield, especially CB2
    • Line Backer
    • Defensive Coaching Philosophy and Scheme
    • Head Coach Game Management and Strategy
    • Running Back

What area(s) do you think need the most attention this offseason for the Bills to get back to the Super Bowl?  You can choose multiple options.

Watching the game, I really feel that this Bills team could beat both the Rams and Bengals.  I believe a lot of you feel the same way and were kind of bummed that our Bills were not playing in this Super Bowl.  I don't think we're far off, though there are a few positions we need to upgrade as well as coaching scheme, philosophy, and game management.  I'm curious to see what everyone thinks.

• Like 2

Obviously, the #1 priority for the off-season needs to be upgrading the defensive play calling and scheme. That is also the #2 and #3 priority.

In the salary cap era you're almost always going to have some players you'd wish to upgrade. Williams is getting paid too much to do to little at OG, and the Bills could get better and cheaper at that position. Other needs/wishes include adding a very good pass rusher to the DL, CB #2, and an upgrade over Edmunds. 

But I didn't vote for any of the player-related options. The only thing I voted for was to upgrade the defensive coaching philosophy and scheme. An upgrade there is so important, I didn't want to dilute my vote by voting for other things as well.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I saw this on a tweet from Astro. It sums it up pretty well for me.

2022 team needs.PNG

This does sum up the Bills' player needs quite well.  The only thing I suspect may not be addressed is RB.  Moss was supposed to be Singletary's compliment, and he may still be able to be that.  I think they give Moss more time, especially with a new OC and OL coach/run game coord.  I also expect the interior OL to get attention, which should help the RBs we have.

2 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

I saw this on a tweet from Astro. It sums it up pretty well for me.

2022 team needs.PNG

any OL will not be an intelligence challenged individual who cannot figure out how to pick up stunts

15 hours ago, Core Four said:

I really feel that this Bills team could beat both the Rams and Bengals. 

I'm listening to The Ringer podcast with Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal (Jimmy Kimmel's cousin) and they both said the Bills would have won the SB had they been there, and the Bengals wasted a golden opportunity.

I vote for whatever helps Josh win an SB.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm listening to The Ringer podcast with Bill Simmons and Cousin Sal (Jimmy Kimmel's cousin) and they both said the Bills would have won the SB had they been there, and the Bengals wasted a golden opportunity.

I vote for whatever helps Josh win an SB.

Indeed.

A DT that doesn't like football isn't my choice.

Give me OL help.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Indeed.

A DT that doesn't like football isn't my choice.

Give me OL help.

I would bet that there will be changes on the OL.  No way they look at the OL through most of the season and think that was ok.  I get that continuity was the thought after last year, but guys like Ford have proven that to be incorrect.  Continuity is good, but with the right players.  We didn't have that through most of this year.

• Like 2

Not just defensive play calling, but a bit of a personnel/playing time change. We rotate in our defensive line, always trying to keep them fresh. But I really think we do it WAY too much. Name starters, let THEN rotate themselves when the need a breather.

But there's more.... While we rotate the line because of the pounding they take (against an OL that doesn't) what about LB and DB? Face it, the entire defense was gassed the last few minutes of the Chiefs game, but we continued to play the back end while rotating the line? Could it have made a difference if we had rotated Klein, Johnson, Lewis, and Hamlin in there? Maybe not, but i suspect fresh legs could have made the difference in a shootout like that

By the end of the season and playoffs the offense was practically unstoppable. It was absolutely ready to compete and win in a Super Bowl game. 

I voted for every D category. The defense is what held them back. if they want to get to the Super Bowl, then tweak the offense and focus heavily on defense. All of it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cinga said:

Not just defensive play calling, but a bit of a personnel/playing time change. We rotate in our defensive line, always trying to keep them fresh. But I really think we do it WAY too much. Name starters, let THEN rotate themselves when the need a breather.

But there's more.... While we rotate the line because of the pounding they take (against an OL that doesn't) what about LB and DB? Face it, the entire defense was gassed the last few minutes of the Chiefs game, but we continued to play the back end while rotating the line? Could it have made a difference if we had rotated Klein, Johnson, Lewis, and Hamlin in there? Maybe not, but i suspect fresh legs could have made the difference in a shootout like that

I don't like the dline rotation strategy, either.  It just ends up being wasteful since you have to essentially pay eight guys starting salary which means you will not be able to afford a difference maker such as an Aaron Donald, TJ Watt, Vonn Miller, etc.  Instead, a heavy rotation lends itself to getting very mediocre talent that will not make much of a difference; if they did happen to get a guy who develops into a stud, they won't want to continue to play in the rotation - they'll want more playing time.  IMO, the larger problem is the rush scheme, which is contain in nature.  Frazier does not seem to place much value on QB sacks, which to me is misguided.  I believe Frazier's dline scheme will not be successful at consistently winning big games against better QBs.

As to your second paragraph/point, I think Frazier puts more of a priority and emphasis on DBs and LBs (which drop back into coverage and become DBs, essentially).  That is what his defense revolves around, not the dline and QB sacks.  It seems like Frazier thinks he can win with coverage, primarily.  The dline appears to be a bunch of interchangeable parts that only needs to contain the QB in a pocket.  If they can get to the QB, great, but contain is the priority, not attack.

IMO, guys being tired didn't lose the Divisional round against KC.  A poor scheme and atrocious game situation management cost us the game.  One of my votes was defensive coaching and philosophy; Frazier is not a big game DC who will come up big when the team needs it.  He has proven that too many times over the past five seasons.  What's worse is McD could have overridden the defensive call at the end of the game, but he didn't.  I want to know why not.  McD's game management and situation awareness still has a lot to be desired...even after five seasons.  IMO, McD doesn't have the football situation IQ that will be able to adjust on the fly and win a big game.  I guess give him another four or five years and he will figure it out; head coach game management and strategy was my other vote.  

• Like 2