Jump to content

Personal Privacy - Are You Entitled to Any?


Foxx
 Share

Recommended Posts

Privacy is a cornerstone of liberty, and I'd argue fundamental to any meaningful notion of progress as well. Without privacy, everything from action to speech to thought becomes chilled. Without freedom of speech and thought, innovation and progress grind to a halt as the world falls into line with whatever is acceptable thought/speech according to the powers that be. 

 

That's why destroying privacy has been so high on the list of things to do for the past several decades. A confluence of new technology and a growing global security state made destroying privacy both profitable and necessary for the powers that be.

  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Wow 1
  • FANtastic 1
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2022 at 12:31 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

Privacy is a cornerstone of liberty, and I'd argue fundamental to any meaningful notion of progress as well. Without privacy, everything from action to speech to thought becomes chilled. Without freedom of speech and thought, innovation and progress grind to a halt as the world falls into line with whatever is acceptable thought/speech according to the powers that be. 

 

That's why destroying privacy has been so high on the list of things to do for the past several decades. A confluence of new technology and a growing global security state made destroying privacy both profitable and necessary for the powers that be.

DR said it just right ☺, and I see it as an inherent right, codified by our only slightly compromised founders, who understood it exists only because of God. Time and time again through history, man has shown the unwillingness and inability to lock onto that simple truth. I believe that inability over the long run is rooted in the inherent sin of man. JMHO

  • Like 2
  • Cheers 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2022 at 12:31 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

Privacy is a cornerstone of liberty, and I'd argue fundamental to any meaningful notion of progress as well. Without privacy, everything from action to speech to thought becomes chilled. Without freedom of speech and thought, innovation and progress grind to a halt as the world falls into line with whatever is acceptable thought/speech according to the powers that be. 

 

That's why destroying privacy has been so high on the list of things to do for the past several decades. A confluence of new technology and a growing global security state made destroying privacy both profitable and necessary for the powers that be.

That’s one side of the story.  The other side is that Mark Zuckerberg couldn’t get laid in college.  I’m sure it was a tough choice to choose the path.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I don't care if someone can recognize me when I'm out on the street, but I might have a problem with what they do with that info since everyone DOES still has the right to be secure in their persons places and things. 

It's like that whole stop and frisk thing which i also have a serious problem with. I don't care if it's a high crime neighborhood, you still should not be able to frisk someone just because they are there, you still need probable cause; warrant for arrest, saw the butt of a gun, or have at least 1, better 2, witnesses willing to point to him/her. To frisk just based on the neighborhood is pure bullshit to the extreme and should NEVER be considered probable cause. Does that also mean someone like me, bearded, ponytail, somewhat rough looking can be stopped and frisked if I'm in a high end neighborhood just because by my looks I don't fit in?

Same goes with the facial recognition, if there is an outstanding warrant or some other probable cause okay. But you should not be able to even pull up my record without that probable cause. 

  • Applause 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

if you want some privacy, you need to take it

 

stop posting all of your personal life on twitter, instagram,  facebook, you tube, message boards, etc 

  • Applause 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, devnull said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gig-app-gathering-data-for-u-s-military-others-prompts-safety-concerns-11646481601

 

If the DoD is doing this in other countries, what's to stop domestic agencies from doing the same inside the US?

 

Always assuming the DoD isn't the lead agency doing it within the good ol' US of A.

Edited by Keukasmallie
took a bold step....
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Keukasmallie said:

 

Always assuming the DoD isn't the lead agency doing it within the good ol' US of A.

you mean the same guys that created and funded Facebook and Twitter to con personal info out of people?

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Keukasmallie said:

 

Always assuming the DoD isn't the lead agency doing it within the good ol' US of A.

 

DoD's fairly diligent in not violating posse comitatus, and it's really not within their mission or worthwhile to do data collection within the US.

 

It's much, much, easier to just enter in data-sharing agreements with the agencies that are involved in domestic spying.  I guarantee, for example, that DoD gets a lot of data from the Department of Agriculture.  WAKE UP USDA-GRADE A SHEEPLE!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

 

DoD's fairly diligent in not violating posse comitatus, and it's really not within their mission or worthwhile to do data collection within the US.

 

It's much, much, easier to just enter in data-sharing agreements with the agencies that are involved in domestic spying.  I guarantee, for example, that DoD gets a lot of data from the Department of Agriculture.  WAKE UP USDA-GRADE A SHEEPLE!!!!

 

Gee, is that a result of Congress calling for more interagency cooperation?  Even when Congress sets out to do the right thing, someone, somewhere, makes the effort backdoor fodder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Ann said:

....
 

 

 

I think I'll just...not sign up for the card.

 

The small, select, elite group of people this card appeals to will be living in cardboard boxes and living out of dumpsters eventually.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

 

I think I'll just...not sign up for the card.

At some point, you may not have a choice

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, devnull said:

At some point, you may not have a choice

it's why they want to get rid of cash

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

 

I think I'll just...not sign up for the card.

 

The small, select, elite group of people this card appeals to will be living in cardboard boxes and living out of dumpsters eventually.

Can you say test pilot?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ann said:

....
 

 

 

Serious question... If I buy something, oh say bunch of red solo cups for a party; am I responsible for the oil extraction to make these or has the oil and plastic company already paid my fair share? What about when I throw the cup away? Is it different if I throw it in the trash vs recycle?

What if I recycle oil and plastics? Do I get a carbon rebate for that or does the company that made/extracted it? Will Equifax track this for me like they do my "normal" credit? 

The company I work for has gone "woke" so I think it a matter of time before they change our company cards to this. So will it reflect on their report or on mine?

Edited by Cinga
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Cinga said:

 

Serious question... If I buy something, oh say bunch of red solo cups for a party; am I responsible for the oil extraction to make these or has the oil and plastic company already paid my fair share? What about when I throw the cup away? Is it different if I throw it in the trash vs recycle?

What if I recycle oil and plastics? Do I get a carbon rebate for that or does the company that made/extracted it? Will Equifax track this for me like they do my "normal" credit? 

The company I work for has gone "woke" so I think it a matter of time before they change our company cards to this. So will it reflect on their report or on mine?

double dipping will be a feature of the program

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Foxx said:

Can you say test pilot?


Wait until the YouTube influencers can’t take their weekly trip to Bali and you’ll get less interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue., Guidelines