Bills Fans Gear Now Available! ×

2022 Competition Committee and Club Playing Rules Proposals

Ann

NFL Competition Committee to discuss possible changes to overtime rules

</snip>

Rich McKay, chairman of the NFL Competition Committee, said Sunday there is no question proposed changes to overtime will be brought up, NFL Network's Judy Battista reported.

McKay said he expects some overtime proposals related to playoffs only, while others could include the regular season.

</snip>

Another topic up for discussion by the Competition Committee this week will be tinkering with punts in order to make make them safer, according to Battista.

With punt plays having a disproportionate number of injuries this past season, the NFL wants to make play safer while maintaining competitiveness. Battista added that the league does not want to eliminate punts altogether. The Competition Committee is set for a health and safety briefing on Monday.

</snip>

• O Rly 1

Crap Throwing Clavin

"It's not fair that the game should be decided on a coin toss."

That, and and hour's worth of play in which you couldn't put the game away.  You want fair?  Win in regulation.

• Like 2

From Peter King:

Nothing imminent on OT

The Competition Committee met in Indianapolis and began to comb through a slew of rules issues. Not a lot done yet on the subject of overtime, which will be the hot-button issue when owners, coaches, GMs and executives meet for the league’s first post-Covid in-person spring owners meeting in Palm Beach, Fla., in three weeks. The committee won’t get down to the nitty-gritty of rules discussion till virtual meetings among the members begin next Monday.

It’s too early to tell whether any change in overtime has a good chance to pass. The overtime conundrum—should the coin flip matter so much, and should each team be guaranteed a possession in the extra period—will be the biggest matter on the table at the league meetings. History tells us two things are important here. Any solution has a better chance of passage if it’s a simple one. And it likely will be easier to pass it for the playoffs now, not for the regular season and playoffs. Why? That’s the history of these kinds of decisions. In 2010, the NFL passed a rule for the playoffs saying a touchdown on the first drive of OT would end the game. In 2012, that rule was applied to all games. That’s the rule on the books now. As I canvassed teams at the combine, there’s no groundswell that something must be done. But two influential people on this issue told me to look at the playoff numbers regarding overtime since the system was changed a decade ago:

• Overtime playoff games: 12.
  • Games won on the first drive of overtime: 7.
  • Games won by the team winning the coin flip to start overtime: 10.

The numbers for regular-season games aren’t nearly as decisive. I think if the committee—which is not unanimous that anything needs to be done with overtime—has a chance to change the rule, it’s playoffs-only … at least as we sit here today.

I talked to several team people at the combine who think if both teams are assured of at least one possession, the coin-flip winner to start overtime will in most cases defer. The reason is simple: If the team with the ball first in overtime doesn’t score, or turns it over, the team with the ball second needs only a field goal to win.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Ann said:

IMO, this is kind of stupid. It does absolutely nothing to address the current concerns and as the rules currently stand, it only slightly decreases the odds of the game ending with the first possession.

Crap Throwing Clavin
1 hour ago, Foxx said:

IMO, this is kind of stupid. It does absolutely nothing to address the current concerns and as the rules currently stand, it only slightly decreases the odds of the game ending with the first possession.

It's idiotic.  You can't win in regulation, you can't stop your opponent from getting a TD on their first OT possession...but you're going to stop a 2-point conversion?  It'll change virtually nothing.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Crap Throwing Monkey said:

It's idiotic.  You can't win in regulation, you can't stop your opponent from getting a TD on their first OT possession...but you're going to stop a 2-point conversion?  It'll change virtually nothing.

Exactly. I'm not officially licensed for giving my opinion so I'm forced to go rogue from time to time. That said. Give both teams 1 chance regardless of the type of score. After that sudden death. Turnover is your chance attempted.